Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 9:57pm

Style: Boxing, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    The fact that Matt Hughes had a great game plan, which Tommy executed perfectly to dispose of the Australian, does not equal Matt Serra "fucking up" the quarter finals.
    Hughes: Okay, you're a wrestler, so whatever you do, DON"T go to the ground!
    Speer: Huh?
    Hughes: Run forward with your fingers out trying to get a clinch, then if you happen to poke him in the eye, land few right hands!
    Speer: Huh? 'm a farm boy...
    Hughes: Remember, "finishing fights" is something that's very important, except in the future if it happens to you very quickly in two bouts in a row. Now go get him!
    Speer: (breathing noises..) I

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 10:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did anyone actually go look at Scarola's school's website?

****, i would never want to train there...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 10:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I don't understand is how Scramola could tell one of his students with a straight face: "Hang in there! Don't give up! You have to be committed to jiu jitsu!". Also, how come he gets to be called "Professor" Scarola? Isn't that trademarked by Pedro Sauer?

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 10:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    What I don't understand is how Scramola could tell one of his students with a straight face: "Hang in there! Don't give up! You have to be committed to jiu jitsu!". Also, how come he gets to be called "Professor" Scarola? Isn't that trademarked by Pedro Sauer?
    also, the big thing on his main page is ULTIMATE FIGHTER 6 CONTENDER, and there he is, with his UFC gloves...

he fought in one episode, which he lost, in poor fashion...(ok sorry, the guy is a b.j.j blackbelt, and he got caught with the most telegraphed triangle in history) then bitched out and left.

What an idiot.

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 11:06pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3moose1: In all fairness to the guy (because I don't want to jump on the bashing a Fighter bandwagon) he copped a decent knee before that and no one can tell how they're going to react in the octagon until they're IN the octagon.

It's my opinion that that he choked a bit, which isn't a play down on the guy, we saw 2 other fighters choke.

His 'leaving the house' was fairly poor form though, but I'm not going to hate the guy based purely on that.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 11:39pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at least one bully trains under him, iirc, and i haven't heard any complaints.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 12:01am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM
    3moose1: In all fairness to the guy (because I don't want to jump on the bashing a Fighter bandwagon) he copped a decent knee before that and no one can tell how they're going to react in the octagon until they're IN the octagon.

It's my opinion that that he choked a bit, which isn't a play down on the guy, we saw 2 other fighters choke.

His 'leaving the house' was fairly poor form though, but I'm not going to hate the guy based purely on that.
    He was a pro fighter before he entered that match. Yeah, i understand the jitters and what not...but still

I will go out on a limb here, and get flamed for it, but

If your a b.j.j blackbelt, and you get subbed by someone who isn't well trained in b.j.j/judo/sambo/x grappling art, thats just as bad as getting double-armbarred, or having someone omaplata you from their guard...(not awesome eddie bravo flowchart to omaplata, that you have someone in guard, and you come into them, fall back, switch your hips, and omaplata them that way)

He was a pro fighter, though, and i'm sure he's eaten quite a few knees...

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 12:35am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    He was a pro fighter before he entered that match. Yeah, i understand the jitters and what not...but still

I will go out on a limb here, and get flamed for it, but

If your a b.j.j blackbelt, and you get subbed by someone who isn't well trained in b.j.j/judo/sambo/x grappling art, thats just as bad as getting double-armbarred, or having someone omaplata you from their guard...(not awesome eddie bravo flowchart to omaplata, that you have someone in guard, and you come into them, fall back, switch your hips, and omaplata them that way)

He was a pro fighter, though, and i'm sure he's eaten quite a few knees...
    I honestly question how good his previous fights were, quite possibly that all of his previous fights were against lesser skill BJJ guys. I'm only playing the guessing game at this point.

And I'd also like to point out that Mac Danzig has an amazing ground game, that is reall suited to MMA. Good BJJ doesn't = good MMA. I think we'll both agree in that regards.

Just because I can strike well in a Kyokushin Tournament doesn't mean that'll translate really well into an MMA match. Get me?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 4:15am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    If your a b.j.j blackbelt, and you get subbed by someone who isn't well trained in b.j.j/judo/sambo/x grappling art, thats just as bad as getting double-armbarred
    I dunno man, MMA is as different a world from BJJ as no-gi BJJ is to gi BJJ. In no-gi you can get away with **** just based on strength and speed alone, and add being punched repeatedly to the face, it's not uncommon for a particularly aggressive blue or purple belts to submit a black belt.

Especially if that black belt has gotten so whipped that he whines on national TV about how he can't handle being away from his (soon-to-be-leaving-him) girl.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 5:31am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Scarola has no excuse for getting caught in that slow triangle. He obviously threw the fight. Nothing about his attitude suggests otherwise so i don't see why anyone should overlook the video evidence and give him the benefit of the doubt.

2) He's probably a good teacher though. I recall an interview where Serra said he was, and said that he seriously doubted Scarola ever wanted to be a fighter, just wanted to be a teacher.

3) Hughes was a pretty bad coach because his personality got in the way. His guys only made it to the finale because Serra sacrificed his first pick by choosing Scarola thereby allowing Hughes to collect a greater proportion of better fighters.

4) At one point Rampage was telling Chipper to get up without any instruction when it was hard/impossible which was terrible cornering. At another point he was telling him to get up when it was very possible and could've won him the fight. He's a great guy, and might be a decent coach, but not a good corner man. In fairness, Chipper wasn't listening to him at any point during the fight anyway ("use your jab", etc.).

5) With good coaching & cornering, I think Chipper could have won that fight. They should've focused on a strategy of dirty boxing with the occasional point scoring takedown sprinkled in, a la Couture. Instead, Chipper would engage him on the ground b/c he was so scared of getting knocked out standing up. Hell he was too scared to even throw a jab.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast