Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 7:57am

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hand injuries...

How easy is it to hurt your hands with bare-handed punches to the head?

Is there anyone out there with personal experience of getting into a bare-knuckle fight?

Gloves were mostly introduced to prevent injury to the person you are hitting, but also keep your fists aligned properly. However, you aren't likely to have time to wrap your hands on the street (Unless you always wear them..), so I was just curious. I've just recently gotten into boxing, so please excuse my newbishness in this area.

Edit: And I'm assuming a punch targetted at the correct areas.
    Last edited by MaartenSFS; 4/23/2008 9:00am at .

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 9:01am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <------------

or

It's not hard to do if your punch connects incorrectly.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 9:09am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
    <------------

or

It's not hard to do if your punch connects incorrectly.
    That looks far from comfortable. I can't see it clearly on my screen, but what happened with the last finger? It looks like a prosthetic or something?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 9:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, it is easy to do if your punch lands wrong. Also, you really don't want to punch anybody in the skull, if that's what you mean. But if you train properly, you should be able to blast a man in the chin or anywhere in the face full force without breaking your hands, no problem.

Some people will say that if you can hit full force with bare knuckles and not hurt your hands, then you have no punching power. Let me address those people in advance - Shut the **** up, you're an idiot.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 9:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, this has been discussed so many times, I can tell you where this thread will go. Somebody will say "but, but, but, boxing gloves are really to protect your hands, not the guy's face". Let me also address these people in advance.....Shut the **** up. You are also an idiot. Boxing gloves were invented to protect the opponent, not the wearer.

Those dumbass comments about gloves come from the early UFCs when commentators were talking about the itsy bitsy MMA gloves the guys were wearing. There was probably some truth to that. But it does not apply to boxing gloves. Boxing gloves were INVENTED to protect the receiver, not the puncher.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 9:24am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was my meaning and I agree with you that it takes very little force to break someone's nose, assuming that your power generation isn't off and that the force arrives at the target at the right angle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 9:29am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Also, this has been discussed so many times, I can tell you where this thread will go. Somebody will say "but, but, but, boxing gloves are really to protect your hands, not the guy's face". Let me also address these people in advance.....Shut the **** up. You are also an idiot. Boxing gloves were invented to protect the opponent, not the wearer.

Those dumbass comments about gloves come from the early UFCs when commentators were talking about the itsy bitsy MMA gloves the guys were wearing. There was probably some truth to that. But it does not apply to boxing gloves. Boxing gloves were INVENTED to protect the receiver, not the puncher.
    That's what I read when studying up on history and it makes perfect sense to me, especially when my hands are still throbbing from yesterday, even with gloves. ;)

Edit: I have also noticed that even if my punches are slightly not straight or off-angle it feels very uncomfortable, with or without gloves. I don't like gloves, actually.
    Last edited by MaartenSFS; 4/23/2008 9:31am at .

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 9:29am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS
    That looks far from comfortable. I can't see it clearly on my screen, but what happened with the last finger? It looks like a prosthetic or something?
    I threw a hook and either the guy was too far away or backed up before it connected. I guess my last knuckle took all the impact and broke completely in half. It didn't stop the fight though. I kept on hitting the guy with no pain. It wasn't until after the fight was over and I had ran away from the cops that a girl told me my finger was dangling around and looked pretty gross. Then I realized just how fucked up it was, and of course it started to hurt.

We won the fight, but it ended up costing me over $10,000, and now I have a plate, 5 pins, and a screw in my hand.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 9:40am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
    I threw a hook and either the guy was too far away or backed up before it connected. I guess my last knuckle took all the impact and broke completely in half. It didn't stop the fight though. I kept on hitting the guy with no pain. It wasn't until after the fight was over and I had ran away from the cops that a girl told me my finger was dangling around and looked pretty gross. Then I realized just how fucked up it was, and of course it started to hurt.

We won the fight, but it ended up costing me over $10,000, and now I have a plate, 5 pins, and a screw in my hand.
    Crikey, I didn't realise that that was your own hand. I'm really starting to prefer elbows and there is such thing as an "elbow punch".

On a completely unrelated side note, when I broke my arm several times in Junior Highschool I used my cast as a weapon on several occasions.
    Last edited by MaartenSFS; 4/23/2008 9:49am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 9:56am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've hurt my hand several times from doing bare knuckle stuff - strangely enough it's always been from getting a hand caught in some clothes or on someones body (my most recent one I clipped my pinkie while shooting for an arm drag and sprained it). It's always been in training.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast