Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 11:47pm

Style: TKD/karate/jkd noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tonight was awsome

Tonight was one of my best classes ever!
    Well I guess I should start from the beginning every other tuesday night we have advanced classes.In these classes we try to learn from some other styles and we have a harder sparring session.
    After we did our stretches and practiced some forms our instructor says to us "Are you ready to roll?"
    After this we spent time learning some throws and basic grappling moves it was very fun and informative.
    Then after that we got to sparring and we were allowed to use the elbows and knees.
    We also were told to grabb the legs and use any openings for grappling and throws.
    Admittedly it was not a ufc match once we got the throw we relented but I think it is a good step to incorporate some real defense into our dojang.
    I realise there is not mush point to this thread I just had to tell someone and I figured the only ppl I even half ways knpow who would give a ****,was here.
    thanks for reading and sorry for the bad grammer,
    Drake

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 12:48am

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sparring is addicting, please enjoy responsibly

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 5:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You were allowed to use elbow strikes and knees? Also who taught you the throws and grappling techniques? Did you learn any pins first?

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 5:34am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting position after the throw may be just as important as the takedown itself, if not more so.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 2:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake LaMancha
    Tonight was one of my best classes ever!
    Well I guess I should start from the beginning every other tuesday night we have advanced classes.In these classes we try to learn from some other styles and we have a harder sparring session.
    After we did our stretches and practiced some forms our instructor says to us "Are you ready to roll?"
    After this we spent time learning some throws and basic grappling moves it was very fun and informative.
    Then after that we got to sparring and we were allowed to use the elbows and knees.
    We also were told to grabb the legs and use any openings for grappling and throws.
    Admittedly it was not a ufc match once we got the throw we relented but I think it is a good step to incorporate some real defense into our dojang.
    I realise there is not mush point to this thread I just had to tell someone and I figured the only ppl I even half ways knpow who would give a ****,was here.
    thanks for reading and sorry for the bad grammer,
    Drake
    My TSD/SBD instructor used to do this, he had a wrestling background. Then after we'd have our fun not knowing what to do, he'd say "great, now go crosstrain."

Which I was one of few who did, and slowly my take on BJJ went from cross training, to training, to "drop everything else and get on the mat."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 9:47pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think HKD sparring should include clinchwork and throws. Not sure about groundwork, unless you have an instructor with legitimate grappling experience.

Unfortunately, my instructor limits our sparring to straight up striking most of the time. Though lately we've been working on pinning someone after a takedown.

EDIT: Whoops. Saw your style was TKD, not HKD. Sorry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 12:13am

Style: TKD/karate/jkd noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    You were allowed to use elbow strikes and knees? Also who taught you the throws and grappling techniques? Did you learn any pins first?
    Our sobum did he has experience in judo and hkd,I believe he is trying to get some of the younger guys used to the idea that in a real fight your opponent will take a hit for better positioning and to be able use his size.It was quite an eye opener for the red belt I was sparring getting thrown and elbowed.We even got to discuss about getting to train with a bjj instructor that lives in a town 70 miles away once a month to get some more experience.
    Admittedly this is not getting the true training for bjj but it is a damn good step in my opinion.
    And we are really excited about it.:new_Eyecr
    P.S.My instructor has certificates from hkd,judo,and okinawan karate along with his black belt(3rd dan)in tkd.Of course he is 50 and been training since he was a pre-teen and he always mentions the values of learning from many styles.It is kind of funny for forms competition we learn okinawan forms for the extra edge and because they are "hard"forms.
    Also the judges never seen them before so it kind of wakes them up.
    Last edited by Drake LaMancha; 4/24/2008 12:20am at .