Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 11:59am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Great day with Cesar Gracie and Nick Diaz

Let me start by saying that last Saturday was simply a incredible day.

Cesar Gracie came by our school for his anual seminar and brought with him Nick Diaz. We did a quick warm up before they got things started then got straight to buisness working on some wonderfull basic takedowns, some pumeling excersises, and how to do the take down and get into side controll.

From side controll Nick showed us a awsome technique to trap the arm and transition from side to side to lock in a kimura. He also showed a interesting counter to this and a wicked sweep when somone has side controll on you.

One of my favorite moments came when Cesar noticed alot of people were leaving there arms out after being taken down. He said 'You cant leave your arms out! You need your arms against your chest like this!' He then began wiggling his fingers. 'What is that Dinosoar with arms like this? A Tyranasouras? You need to have your arms like a Tyranasouras Rex! You have never seen a T-Rex get arm barred have you?' No I guess I havent. Im still laughing about that one.

After working on our takedowns, defending the takedown, and side controll, we worked on a couple triangle techniques, one to force the triangle, and another if your oponent makes a mistake. My triangle has always been lacking, and after I asked Cesar for some advice he let me know that not everyone has a great Triangle game. 'Some of the greatest BJJ competitors dont have a triangle game. You make what works for you work for you. Not comfortable with the triangle.. there is always a arm bar. We then disected some of the nuances of triangle vs armbar.

After that it was time to roll a bit, and let me say, Nick was absolutely fluid in his game. I would like to say I put up a hell of a fight, but I was a bit star struck and ended up getting armbared in about 45 seconds.

All in all we worked out for about 5 hours and had a quick break for lunch. Cesar and Nick were excellent instructors and I would like to thank them both for making the trip up from Stockton.

If you ever have a chance to train with these two I would highly recomend making the time.

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also Nick stated he may be fighting in Japans DREAM soon.. opponent to be announced.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach trained with Cesar for awhile and with Gil Castillo. He says "the dinosaurs went extinct because they extended their arms" and "be like a t-rex".

He must be plagiarizing, bastard.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 12:21pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    My coach trained with Cesar for awhile and with Gil Castillo. He says "the dinosaurs went extinct because they extended their arms" and "be like a t-rex".

He must be plagiarizing, bastard.
    I first heard the whole T-Rex analogy a few years ago. I think it's used pretty commonly throughout BJJ. I have no idea who used it first though.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll give him a pass then.
    This time.

While I think the extinction thing is stupid, rather than funny, I use it too because new guys do actually remember it.

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 12:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it definetly stuck with me so I can attest to it. When I was rolling with one of the younger men in the adult class, everytime he would leave a arm out I would gently start a americana and tell him what a terrible dinosoar he was. This, inturn, would piss him off and he would pull his arms back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 4:44am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love to train at Cesar Gracies! Nick, Nate, melendez, torres etc. What an awesome MMA team!

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 11:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are all very nice and great teachers too!

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Van
    Well it definetly stuck with me so I can attest to it. When I was rolling with one of the younger men in the adult class, everytime he would leave a arm out I would gently start a americana and tell him what a terrible dinosoar he was. This, inturn, would piss him off and he would pull his arms back.
    no pillowtalk on the mats, please.

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 3:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    no pillowtalk on the mats, please.
    I wasnt looking into his eyes when I said it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast