Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fraud or for real? Richard Kirkham

I've recently be asked by friend about an online teacher, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about him. He promotes himself as Sensei J. Richard Kirkham B.Sc., and based on a quick google search, he appears to teach some sort of slap-and-tickle Kenpo, Taijutsu, and the ever-popular "Internal Energy Strikes", along with various sorts of self-defense and self-help stuff including a "Universal" system - mainly through eBooks, and "personal email consultations". I can't seem to locate an actual physical gym/dojo with his name attached to it. Do I smell bullshido?

I told my buddy that if he's interested in self-defense, he needs to drop into a local Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA or boxing gym, but he seems intent on doing online training with a mystical master. That's fine. I'm just hoping to steer him toward something semi-legitimate that might actually help him, and not teach him a bunch of "deadly secret techniques" that will end up getting him wrecked.

Any info about this Kirkham guy - good or bad - is appreciated.

Style
    nothing

Style
    nothing

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Clip is 6 years old and full of sillyness.

However, in this page there is the following:

"Internal Energy Strikes has helped me build upon my training and helped me take it to another level - which i needed, to go from New Zealand Champion to South Pacific Champion. With continued work and dedication I know it will help me go even further!"

Thanks

Michelle Preston
    If that was this Michelle Preston, maybe the guy is into something

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks for the information

I appreciate the links. As I suspected, this guy is a hustler.

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    If that was this Michelle Preston, maybe the guy is into something
    :) Strangely, no mention of Kirkham on that page.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever I see a overhanging gut and a too-long black belt, I get suspicious.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has like 12 linkedin accounts, and they all are variants of his e-book publishing.

Also, what kind of douche puts B.Sc after their name like that? I didn't even have to watch the video to know that this dude is full of ****.

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Whenever I see a overhanging gut and a too-long black belt, I get suspicious.
    Black belt and tank top is such a good look.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the op,

Tell your buddy theres no subsitute for training apart from going to a gym/dojo and training from the instructor themself. The clear benefit is people a suffering with you, theres no slacking off at home, you can see the techs in the flesh at any angle you wish, can ask questions, do drills and get to train with different body types.

At home training in my view is only a supplement to actual training somewhere with a few people. I read books but only when im relaxing at home after training, to get additional practise on something ive already learnt so it 'sinks' in. If you havnt learnt something yet learning off a video wont teach you much because who is there to correct your mistakes or positions?

The fact of the guy in question teaching multiple arts solely on the internet should ring alarm bells. Is your friend an idiot? If he wants to learn off videos he can use youtube and it wont cost him anything. The sensei for all anybody knows probablly isnt qualified to teach certain arts if not all and could ask questions in forums as you are and use the answers to reply via email 'consultations'.
    Last edited by Kravbizarre; 4/12/2016 10:41pm at .