Page 1 of 12 12345 11 ... Last
    9chambers
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chin Na in Ground Fighting:

I recommend this book. It has some cool ideas on how to incorporate better striking and some Chin Na type locks into your ground game. It talks a lot about ankle and leg locks too. It's a decent book. The guys did it from a Judo/BJJ ground game perspective. The focus is entirely on ground fighting.

"Chin Na in Ground Fighting: Principles, Theory and Submission Holds for All Martial Styles"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    Last edited by 9chambers; 11/12/2003 11:15pm at .

Such as thou art, sometime was I. supporting member
    Style
    Brazilian Jiujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love that the cover offers a perfect example of why you should not bother with Chin Na or the book.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What The Wastrel said.

If the rest of the book covers material like the photo on the front, then it looks to be a waste of money.

9chambers
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These guys are a couple of Judo guys. The book is not all about Chin Na.
    They are in the guard and mount and all over the ground in the whole book.
    The cover picture is not what the book is like at all. Just take a look at it at
    Booksamillion, it's new so it will be on the shelf. If you don't like it then shove it
    back on the shelf. No big deal.

* This is one of the authors: Al Arsenault (Judo, Goju Ryu Karate, police officer, Jiujitsu)

http://www.ymaa.com/AuthorBioPages/aarsenault.html

* This is the other one: Joe Faulise (wrestling, Judo, Tang Soo Do)

http://www.ymaa.com/AuthorBioPages/jfaulise.html

* This is another one: Liang, Shou-Yu (45 years in Chinese martial arts)

(Chin Na, Shuai Jiao wrestling, Wushu, Taijiquan, Emei system, Shaolin Long Fist, Praying Mantis, Chuo Jiao, Xingyi, Baguazhang, Taijiquan, Liu He Ba Fa, Qigong, degree in biology and physiology)

http://www.ymaa.com/AuthorBioPages/mliangbio.html
    Last edited by 9chambers; 11/13/2003 12:10am at .

Style
    Taiji/Judo

Style
    MMA-Vale Tudo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why not just get bas's big book of combate.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

9chambers
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because this book isn't stricly about chokes and arm bars. It's not basic Judo like every other MMA book. SIEZING is the most neglected part of training in MMA. Everyone is either into striking or into wrestling. Nothing in between. Most don't even complete training in those two. They are usually extremely well versed in one of them and they just brush up on the other one to patch up the gaps in their strategy. This book doesn't just list a bunch of chokes and key locks and takedowns. It isn't the same old grappling stuff. It talks about using the other guy's arms to position him, using his legs to roll him off of you, trapping from the guard and using wrist locks and leg locks to submit people.

Most books that teach siezing are going to do it Aikido style, all stand-up with no applications on the ground. Kind of like Japanese Jiu Jitsu does with grappling as compared to BJJ. It has everything BJJ has in it really - they just do it standing up. This book takes Chin Na and teaches you how to apply it on the ground. That is how it is different from Bas Rutten's book.

It is a mixed martial arts book. It is not critical of the ground game. It is a couple of Judo guys who got with some Chin Na guys and tried to bridge the gap between some stand-up and ground fighting. I'm going to support any striking, siezing or kicking art that can show it's usefulness within the BJJ and wrestling ranges instead of just saying that they don't need a ground game at all.

As for striking and grappling. There is more to striking than Muay Thai (for example there are all the open hand strikes found in Karate) and there is more to wrestling than BJJ (for example Sambo leg locks) but everyone is so busy riding their favorite superstar's nut that they don't look at the rest of the picture. Sure, some stuff like chopping the neck (spine, corotid, trachea) or cranking his wrist (breaking it) isn't legal in NHB but some of the other stuff in the book you can use. I am not saying EVERYTHING in the book would work. It just has some stuff that you don't see in every other grappling book that I think is useful for martial artists. There is enough good stuff in the book to make it worth taking a look at in my opinion. If you don't agree, that's fine.

There are more than two elements in fighting. More than two ranges also.
    Last edited by 9chambers; 11/13/2003 4:58am at .

Style
    Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do we really need to continue on a thread with such a title or shall we just move it to trollshido now?
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um, 9Chambers, BJJ has leg locks. Wrist locks are legal in MMA and in BJJ comp rules. However, they are tricky things to get on people. I assume that the reason you would not see them in MMA is that the wrists and hands are too heavily taped up under the gloves to actually make wrist locks viable.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow .

Talk about Judging a book by its Cover (and/or Title) ...

and I love the Idea that there COULDNT be ANYTHING new to learn in this book ...

thanks for the Heads Up 9C ... Ill probably get it this Week-End .

Page 1 of 12 12345 11 ... Last