Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 3:52am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Right. Which has nothing to do with him slipping through the cracks at ATT.

Those guys train pro fighters. I would think that someone would have noticed that his heart just wasnt in it.
    I could be wrong, since I have zero XP training fighters.

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 3:54am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    What's wrong with that? You have to look at the magnitude of the **** up.

Putting too much mayo on a McChicken Sandwidch =/= Chernobyl.
    Agreed, I said it sucked, not that it was unreasonable.

Also: McChicken Sandwich < Fucking up a fight < Chernobyl.
    nearer; Fucking up a fight = fucking up a tender, it depends why and how bad, in this case very bad so all on they why.

I imagine a poor reason contributed to it being over, or more bluntly he had to come up with a hell of an explanation for that showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    He can redeem himself by finding where his heart and mind really are and start kicking some serious ass in smaller MMA events. Bizness is bizness and the UFC would get him back if he transform himself into a bad-ass ************ with superb work ethics.
    Links in to the reasoning. If he had a good reason, redemption is possible if he said "what did I do wrong?" then... :eusa_booh

I can also see him struggling to get any fights in small events unless they want him as a whipping boy.
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 6:20am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Those guys train pro fighters. I would think that someone would have noticed that his heart just wasnt in it.
    I could be wrong, since I have zero XP training fighters.
    And what would they have done if 'someone had noticed'? Kick him out of the gym? Refuse to train him? ATT is a business just like any other - if a client wants to pay them money and get training, you do it, not matter if they suck or not. I am sure they train 99 regular joes for every 1 guy who just might fight professionally, and they can't really control if one of those regular guys gets delusions of grandeur and tries to make a go of it.

In my personal experience, the gym can't win in these situations. We've had cases where we have done everything we could to prep fighters for regional tournaments (training schedules, working on weaknesses, cardio and conditioning regimes, all that), but if the fighter doesn't want to do it, you can't make them. Then they walk in to the tournament and do poorly, and everyone says, "well, he's from X gym, so they must suck", when in reality, the fighter didn't do want they were supposed to. We had one case where a guy waffled on entering a tournament for weeks leading up to it (and so didn't train for it), then decided to enter the day before, and got his ass kicked. Does that reflect badly on us? It does in the public eye, even though we did everything we could to get him to train.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 6:46am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "I broke my foot on the first kick" excuse is completely lame. If his foot was broken then just about the WORST possible thing he could do is to bounce around the ring on it for 15 more minutes. If his foot/leg is all fucked up now then it's his fault for jumping up an down on what might have been a minor fracture instead of throwing in the towel after round 1.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 6:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone remember when Ernesto Hoost broke his foot in K-1? You know what he did with that foot? It swelled up like a softball, and he then used that broken, lame foot as a club and kept bashing his opponent with the broken foot!!!!

THAT is the kind of fighter that people want to see.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 7:33am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, but Ernesto Hoost is the greatest kickboxer to have ever lived. So that's not a fair comparison to make. Starnes is just some guy, y'know.

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 8:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I read Kalib's response I was certain he just had a bad night and simply couldn't engage his brain during the fight, now afterward I think he's unable to engage his brain, period. There must be a cog loose in there or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 10:45am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, his response seems to be completely bizarre. Why would he think saying he was unable to fight so he ran for a whole match explain things?

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 10:53am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He also said his rib was broken in TUF, and it didn't seem like it at all. I just feel bad for the guy.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 10:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't know ATT stood for American Track Team (I'm joking, please don't hurt me ATT people!)

Seriously, a broken foot? He's running around the ring faster on his broken foot than Nate Quarry is on two good feet? Unbelievable. I guess this just proves that Ken Shamrock was right about Starnes, just like he is about everything else.

Will he be allowed to stay on at Top Team or will they cut him? I can't imagine Librio et al are happy to have their school associated with Starnes in any way, shape or form after the stunt he pulled.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast