Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.kalibstarnes.net/biography.htm

Here ya go. I am still looking for video.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 6:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, I'll save you time.

According to press releases, Starnes joined ATT somewhere around July of 2007.
    http://www.mmaontap.com/mma/category/Kalib-Starnes/P10/

My point is, he did that retarded crap almost 2 years ago. He then waits almost a year and then joins ATT.

I'm glad you pointed it out because, I honestly forgot about the "rib injury."

He got his second chance and used the "injury" excuse again. I hope he is the last choice for a fight, with all of the fighters looking for a chance now.

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 6:17pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny how he counts TUF appearances on his pro record when they were exhibition matches that actually don't count.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Look, I'll save you time.

According to press releases, Starnes joined ATT somewhere around July of 2007.
    http://www.mmaontap.com/mma/category/Kalib-Starnes/P10/

My point is, he did that retarded crap almost 2 years ago. He then waits almost a year and then joins ATT.

I'm glad you pointed it out because, I honestly forgot about the "rib injury."

He got his second chance and used the "injury" excuse again. I hope he is the last choice for a fight, with all of the fighters looking for a chance now.

Thats my point. Its the same old song and dance.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think I can sympatize with Starnes' version of events. If you can't effectively fight because of an injury, call it quits. After three rounds it should have been obvious whether he could fight or not. For example, Charles McCarthy did not continue after the bell rang signalling the end of the first round. No dishonor in that - he was injured.

Starnes could have done the same. Now, he complains now that he cannot walk because he broke his foot, but he certainly could run his ass for 15 minutes. This does not compute. He never did any intention to kick Nate, so what else he had? His hands. If his foot was so broken that he couldn't kick nor do anything on the clinch or ground or trade hands with Nate, it is at that point that he should just throw the towel. You can't fight, you can't fight. You did your best and leave it at that. There is no dishonor with that.

This is specially true if he's really concerned about getting his brains rattled by Quarry.

Now, if he was so concerned about that, why getting into combat sports?

Moreover, if he thought $10K wasn't worth the risk, why getting into the contract then?

I mean, c'mon. Nobody put a gun on his head to sign it. I agree that these contracts are shitty and that fighters should deserve to earn more. But at the end of the days, fighters go through those contracts voluntarily. He can't sign a contract and then blew it up when being part of the main freaking card of a PPV event!!!

I hope he find what he really wants someday, but his 'statement' just doesn't compute.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 7:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Thats my point. Its the same old song and dance.
    Right. Which has nothing to do with him slipping through the cracks at ATT.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 7:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had completely forgotten about that weak assed, "I think my ribs are broken" thing from TUF. I was sitting on the couch watching, and I think I hurt my ribs worse than him reaching for the cheetos.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 8:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure that in the early UFCs and other such NHB elimination style tournaments such as the japan vale tudo people continued with worse injuries. like the guy who got eye gouged and blinded in one eye by gordeau in his first fight but continued on to fight Rickson in the final. And obviously there were lots of broken hands etc.
    Ofcourse not all of them continued but if they did they didn't run away from their opponent for 15 minutes they just threw the bloody towl in.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kalib does not reflect ATT. You can train a guy all you want, but when he steps in the ring, he is alone. How he succeeds or fails is only on him.

Starnes interview is more of the same. Making excuses and shifting the blame. Just admit you fucked up and be done with it. Promise to train harder, apologize for letting ppl down, and say it will never happen again. Show a single fucking schred of humility. I didn't see the trash talking afterwards, but im glad I didn't. That's just stupid. calling out someone, after being made to look like a bitch by quarry? Like quarry actually mocked him during the fight. what the hell do you expect?

A great example of ATT is Dennis Kang. Or Jeff Monson.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 9:14pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually had a lot more sympathy for Kalib before reading his comments. I thought that maybe he got pressured in to taking a fight he wasn't ready for, that he got fed to the lions just to have another Canadian on the card, that maybe he got bad advice, all that. I tend to be a bit more sympathetic than your average blood-thirsty UFC fan - I was willing to give him the benfit of the doubt. I am not sure what he could possibly have said that might have excused his performance on Saturday, but at least a "mea culpa, I'm a knob" would have acknowledged that he screwed up. His chioce to try to justify his actions just kills any sympathy for him, as far as I am concerned. There are lots of folks that don't want to put their health and well-being on the line in a fight - and we don't try to make a career in pro-fighting.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast