Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 3:31pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chambering has it's place... I think it's good to practice every kick from a couple different variations that you might need to use it from. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it....how should you throw a front kick, you ask? Into your opponent.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    4/26/2008 10:27pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Phil
    Gracias, I kinda meant that I wasn't asking the forum if they could find me a cma school, I can do that on my own. I wanted more of a opion on a CMA style so I could look for a school.
    Sanda. My opinion of it is that it is fucking awesome.

:eng101:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 12:48am

Style: Roshi Hermit Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite

I am really interested in Sanda, but I don't know how popular it is in the US or how many potential schools there are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 2:26pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite

At this point you are just taking MMA, or MT and putting a Chinese name on it. Except with MMA you will get better ground work (as in any) and with MT you will have more choices in schools/gyms most likely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 10:23am

Style: Multiple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just do a Stomp Kick

blotter art.

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 11:37pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyph
    At this point you are just taking MMA, or MT and putting a Chinese name on it. Except with MMA you will get better ground work (as in any) and with MT you will have more choices in schools/gyms most likely.
    Except that MMA, Muay Thai, and Sanda are all different sports with different rule sets.

Thats like telling somebody who does boxing "you are just doing muay thai, except with Muay Thai you will get better kicks (as in any)"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 3:57pm

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    I'm confused as to the point of the front snap kick, btw. Lyoto Machida basically knocked out Rich Franklin with one, but that was with the shin and other than that you rarely see it used, much less as an effective kick. I mean, the teep is there to push, so the snap kick you'd think would be for damage but it's a weak kick.
    Bear in mind that full contact/americal kickboxing (kicks above waist) use shin and foot pads at both professional and amateur levels. Regardless of your opinion of this (it does make for more flashy kicks!!), it makes kicks such as the 'snap-front kick' totally possible, assuming the right circumstances arise. Obviously you ca't kick people in the nuts deliberately, but if the opponent slips/leans too far you can always connect with an instep to the face with decent power and minimal foot damage.

I actually scored a TKO with one of these kicks to the face (admittedly after a pretty shite attempt at a roundhouse from my opponent), so whilst I don't advocate throwing 3000 snap kicks per day in your garage, they can be a decent tool in certain rulesets (and of course on 't3h str33t' where you would hopefully be wearing shoes.

Most full contact clubs will teach and drill both front 'snap' kicks and front 'push/teep' kicks.

PLEASE NOTE: By full contact, I am referring to the specific kickboxing ruleset known as 'full contact' and also known as American Kickboxing with strikes only scorring above the waist.

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 12:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of great answers! And it's good you're getting away from what sounds like a lousy dojo.

One tip for the foot extension issue: practice walking on your toes (not "tippy toe" like a ballerina, though that would be kinda funny to see, but with your toes in full contact with the floor)...it forces your foot into the proper front kick (hitting with the ball of your foot) position.

Oh yeah...and the side kick thing ... are you rotating your hip back when you extend the kick, creating the "drift" you're getting? Try keeping your hip rotated up throughout the kick and see if that helps.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456