Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 10:23pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Phil
    My ignorance to the striking arts? I think somewhere down the line I didn't detail my sentance enough.

I'm not looking for a CMA School, i'm looking for a CMA style. I would rather not be the fat kid in a candy store with loose change and a hunger for commercialized products.
    Poor lad.

So you want a CMA style in a JMA school, or something? I don't understand this contradiction.

Just keep looking, the other students in a class should give you an idea if the school is good or not, don't worry about what style it is. If the advanced students are something that you want to be like, then its probably a good school for you.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 4:05am

Style: Roshi Hermit Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hui_Xiu
    Poor lad.

So you want a CMA style in a JMA school, or something? I don't understand this contradiction.

Just keep looking, the other students in a class should give you an idea if the school is good or not, don't worry about what style it is. If the advanced students are something that you want to be like, then its probably a good school for you.
    Gracias, I kinda meant that I wasn't asking the forum if they could find me a cma school, I can do that on my own. I wanted more of a opion on a CMA style so I could look for a school.
    Last edited by Uncle_Phil; 4/23/2008 4:08am at .

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 4:31am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How concerned should I be If the basics I learn a week ago, are not compatible with the basics I learn this week?
    This is the wrong way to think about this, or any technique (IMO). There are many different ways for you to kick someone, some are much better than others. This makes me think you have really poor instructors that aren't working together at all in an effort to consolidate kicking techniques in your school.

And What would be the recommended method to this kick?
    You've only got ~ 4 front kicks:

1) Thai push kick: used for creating distance by striking around the hip area with the ball of the foot, extend your hips through it to push your opponent away.

2) Straight up front kick: ball of the foot to the gut (but it's really just a set up for a punch or escape there out of).

3) Snap kick: more useful for the "classic groin strike in self defense," but can be modified for a quick kick to the inner thigh (hitting with the lower shin, inside technique).

4) Very short ranged toe kick (striking with the point of the foot. takes a lot of conditioning), literally near or within clinch range and you would have to lift your leg fairly high (very tough).

Whitshark will be here shortly since he's seen me harping about toe kicks before... :toothy5:
    Last edited by Steve; 4/23/2008 4:54am at .

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 9:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Static kicking drills are okay when you're teaching a total beginner how to do a new kick. There are so many small details that people who have done a martial art for even just 6 mos. (let alone years) take for granted that a new guy off the street has to consciously remember how to do. When they're brand new (assuming no prior ma experience), I think it helps to isolate the kick in a bubble so they can focus on their chamber, foot position, and extension without worrying about the rest of their body.

Beyond a white belt who has to lean his/her 3 basic kicks I probably wouldn't bother tho. Maybe once more later when you're showing back kick since people tend to mess up the knee position and turn it into a side kick.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 3:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was taught to get the heel of my kicking leg up into my backside, lift the knee up to my chest, fire it out straight with a hip thrust ("**** the pad", as my instructor said) with toes back, pull the leg back and put it down where it came from. If you have trouble with the leg flopping out and down, have a guy turtled sideways in front of the bag/pad holder and try to avoid hitting him with your leg on the way out or back.

Hope there's something useful in there for you.

Oh yeah, and if your school has a head instructor, ask him. If you can't get a single authoritative answer, your school sucks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 3:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gzk
    I was taught to get the heel of my kicking leg up into my backside, lift the knee up to my chest, fire it out straight with a hip thrust ("**** the pad", as my instructor said) with toes back, pull the leg back and put it down where it came from. If you have trouble with the leg flopping out and down, have a guy turtled sideways in front of the bag/pad holder and try to avoid hitting him with your leg on the way out or back.

Hope there's something useful in there for you.

Oh yeah, and if your school has a head instructor, ask him. If you can't get a single authoritative answer, your school sucks.
    Huh... I never heard of using the heel before. Does it work?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 3:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't necessarily strike with the heel, but you get your heel up into your butt to chamber the leg as tightly as possible, as if you were throwing a front knee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 3:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gzk
    You don't necessarily strike with the heel, but you get your heel up into your butt to chamber the leg as tightly as possible, as if you were throwing a front knee.
    I don't think I can do that with my calves, but that is pretty interesting to learn. Although, it seems like it would be too telegraphed to me.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 4:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even though technically it's chambering, you only do it for an instant, it's one continuous motion. Once you learn to put it together it's only a minute difference in time

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 2:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chambering is a good thing; you shouldn't have to rationalize it. Winding up and telegraphing is one thing, but a chamber that flows as part of the kick is another. I know some people will disagree with this, but personally I firmly believe all kicks should have chambers otherwise you're just throwing leg haymakers.

(That being said, I've never chambered my front kick THAT much. Not saying it's bad, just hmm, dunno!)
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast