...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    I'm confused as to the point of the front snap kick, btw. Lyoto Machida basically knocked out Rich Franklin with one, but that was with the shin and other than that you rarely see it used, much less as an effective kick. I mean, the teep is there to push, so the snap kick you'd think would be for damage but it's a weak kick.
    It's like a jab. I only use it against someone who reacts to it. If someone just ignores it or absorbs it with minimal motion because they actually have a good guard it becomes nearly pointless.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 12:44pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    It looks pretty cool but dynamic flexibility is different than static flexibility and slow movements will never develop fast twich muscle. Just kick shields and bags until you find a good angle for your toes.
    WhitShark brings up a excelent point about the different types of flexibility in kicks. I cant even do the splits half way or raise my front kick slowly off the ground to my shoulder hieght, but I can THROW a front kick over my head. This has to do with the different types of flexibility.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 3:31pm

Style: Roshi Hermit Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hui_Xiu
    What is your comfort level with the other kicks?
    My roundhouses are fine. However, the side-kick I also have issues with. We are told to kick as if we are kicking in and out of a bucket, but when I do my foot recoils to the right(left depending on foot). So my teacher asks why my foot is flicking to the right, but never really has done anything to help me. I've asked a couple students if my side-kicks look right, and they all don't see a problem.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 3:41pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have asked your instructor and he hasn't fixed this your school sucks. This is a really basic technique. Find a new school. If you have only asked other students then ask your instructor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have asked your instructor and he hasn't fixed this your school sucks. This is a really basic technique. Find a new school. If you have only asked other students then ask your instructor.
    When I asked two of my instructors, they voiced to different techniques. This is my last month at the school since i'm moving back to LA(I'll need to find a school there.) but I'm entering a karate tournament and I'm afraid if I don't get this kick down before then, i'll be short a kick compaired to the rest.

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 3:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If its just a point sparring tournament don't worry about it. The scoring is almost incomprehensible anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If its just a point sparring tournament don't worry about it. The scoring is almost incomprehensible anyway.
    I just want to kick the crap out of Karate practioners.

Question: I'm thinking of switching to CMA, would this be a bad choice in what's left of my MA?
    Last edited by Uncle_Phil; 4/22/2008 4:59pm at .

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 5:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about this forum makes you think anyone is going to recommend you switch to an unnamed CMA school?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 7:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about this forum makes you think anyone is going to recommend you switch to an unnamed CMA school?
    My ignorance to the striking arts? I think somewhere down the line I didn't detail my sentance enough.

I'm not looking for a CMA School, i'm looking for a CMA style. I would rather not be the fat kid in a candy store with loose change and a hunger for commercialized products.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 9:39pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Phil
    My ignorance to the striking arts? I think somewhere down the line I didn't detail my sentance enough.

I'm not looking for a CMA School, i'm looking for a CMA style. I would rather not be the fat kid in a candy store with loose change and a hunger for commercialized products.

Then find an MT school, or atleast a school that trains in an alive method. Either way find a new school. Not all TMA schools practice LARPing, but enough do that it has become stereotyped. If you are in LA I am sure there are plenty of schools or gyms to train at.

The front kick is a white belt move no matter what style it is. If you have advanced at all you should know this kick. Pretty sure it was a white to yellow breaking tech in Shotokan, but that was over twenty years ago so I can't swear to it.

There are tons of good videos on you tube, and even on this forum on how to do the kick in the proper method.

I don't teach the "snaping"version off the front leg at all, I find it clunky. The teep works better IMO. But each person is different and their body will function differently in each art. When I was 13 I was doing TKD and a friend of mine's uncle was doing Ke?po. He was talking about how cool the TKD flying kicks were, but he was 350, and said his best one may hit in the knee ;) That was when I decided not every style was for every person.

So I agree with White Shark, find a new school.
    Last edited by Zyph; 4/22/2008 9:42pm at .
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast