Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 10:39pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GTFO of your school. There should be a teep (thai front kick) and a snap front kick (karate front kick). These are both super basic and if you aren't learning one or both with CONSISTENT technique leave your school now.

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 10:43pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused as to the point of the front snap kick, btw. Lyoto Machida basically knocked out Rich Franklin with one, but that was with the shin and other than that you rarely see it used, much less as an effective kick. I mean, the teep is there to push, so the snap kick you'd think would be for damage but it's a weak kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 10:48pm

Style: Roshi Hermit Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hui_Xiu
    To the OP:

How long have you been training?
    The front kick-forever at this point. Karate, almost a year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 10:53pm

Style: Roshi Hermit Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    I'm confused as to the point of the front snap kick, btw. Lyoto Machida basically knocked out Rich Franklin with one, but that was with the shin and other than that you rarely see it used, much less as an effective kick. I mean, the teep is there to push, so the snap kick you'd think would be for damage but it's a weak kick.
    its a shin killer, and a nut breaker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 11:15pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great video above on the hips, watch that and ingest it.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 11:16pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    I think snap kicks are for point-attacks to specific areas. Or at least I think thats what they should be limited to. I almost never use a front snap kick, though I practice them out of habit. One of the things that one of my HKD schools did correctly was to teach correct power generation in kicks and punches. We learned snap kicks a lot like MT push kicks, with power coming from forward motion of the body and the rotation of the hips.

Sadly, I don't think the point of impact is strong enough for me to really see snap kicks as useful. Also, Isn't that a super easily blocked attack?

I did read in one book of a full-contact instructor conditioning the ball of his foot. Apparently his feet started looking pretty monstrous, and he would use his snap kick to attack his opponents shin. However, I don't think I'll ever be trying this use of the technique.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 1:09am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't speak for the teep, as I don't do Muay Thai.
    But from Shotokan, we learned a couple variants on the front kick.
    The first one is where the knee comes up level with the target, the foot extends out with the ball of the foot as the point of impact and the toes raised out of the way. It took me a while to be able to do this with my toes. After the kick, the leg recoils and sets back down.
    We would sometimes hop forward on the base foot and pop the hip while doing this to make it a bit more of a powerful driving kick.
    For another variant, the same kick would be thrown off of the lead leg, normally as an intercepting technique.
    Another, the foot would rise out with the toes forward. Thus, the force of the kick was coming upward, not forward. This was mostly tought as a groin kick or a kick against a downed opponent.
    Finally, for a push kick, we were tought to essentially throw a side kick turned ninety degrees. The leg chambers high, with the knee pointed in towards the chest and the bottom of the foot pointed towards the target. From there, the foot extends outward, impacting with the heel. My coach wasn't terribly fond of this one, but he liked variety in his kicks.

Anyways, the reason your seeing so many variations on it might be because there are a lot of ways to throw a front kick. ^_~

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 7:39am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with WS. If you don't know how to throw one of the most basic karate techniques after a year(I'm assuming this is with regular attendance) its time for a change.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 8:15am

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    GTFO of your school. There should be a teep (thai front kick) and a snap front kick (karate front kick). These are both super basic and if you aren't learning one or both with CONSISTENT technique leave your school now.
    Read this!!!

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 8:17am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been taugh (to date I've not been doing this massively long) 2 different front kicks in karate. 1. Front snap kick or maegeri and 2. front thrust kick. For both the movement is rather similar.

Standing in a basic stance, left foot and left arm forward, change guard so your right hand comes forward.
    Bring your back (right) knee up and forward.
    (heres where the kicks differ) for maegeri, twist your hips round so your right hip comes forward and snap your lower right leg up, hitting with the ball of your foot.
    For the forward thrust kick you use the twist of the hip to power forward rather than up. I've found it a much more effective kick...
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast