Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 7:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ke?poFist, you have never been more wrong (congrats on the namechange, by the way. That EclecticFist **** was gay as all hell).

Kalib Stairnes is a professional athlete. And like all professional athletes, he is susceptible to being intensely mocked by fans of the sport he plays, especially in a situation this severe. This is no different from David Beckham kicking a penalty over the crossbar and having newspapers the following day releasing articles showing how Beckham put a 10th planet into orbit.

As a professional, if you don't do your job well, you face punishment.

The second thing is that you don't have to be as good as, or even modestly competent in something to give criticism, or even to mock it. Obviously. If I play soccer every other saturday, am I not allowed to ridicule the failiures of certain teams? If I don't make good movies, and have never had an acting class, am I not allowed to make fun of Natalie Portman's cold, robotic rendering of Padme Amidala in Episode II? This is different from Hedgefuckey making fun of other bullshido members for not going hard at throwdowns. This is about entertainment and professional sports.

Kalib Stairnes failed. Any ridicule and mockery he receives is completely justified.

Don't **** up next time, kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 7:25pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Cassius said.

I don't hate Starnes, but man, his performance irritates me to no end. It's not like this is his first fight ever. It's not like he has not been hit (or hit someone) before. He's not a novice, and he knows damn well that he is not in a smoker or in a very small MMA event in some little town in the middle of nowhere. I cannot imagine what it is to be there, in the ring or octagon, but I cannot imagine either what the hell was going through his mind when he was backpedaling.

All I can think off is the many good (or not so good) fighters that one can see in the many smaller venues that go there and do it, and who will never be in the UFC (not for lack of talent, but because it's a numbers' game and you not only need to have the talent, but have the exposure at the right place and right time).

Or a better example. Think of the many fighters that were on that undercard, and I can guarantee you several of them may never be in the main card (or even appear again on the UFC, or get a second chance or whatever). And that's what makes it dissapointing the most.

--- edit ---

It is no different from the TUF participant that has the tools and has experience and fucks it up for eating cake, not doing his job or crying because he's not getting ***** (thus wasting a golden opportunity many guys with the heart in the right place will never get.)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/20/2008 7:28pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 7:36pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally don't like Kalib Starnes, but I agree with ke?po.

I'm not one to deride fighters (although I admit I had to bite my lip over Butterbean's YAMMA performance). Starnes let down his employers by not actually attempting to fight. That's a given, but I honestly feel that he's copped a little too much flack over this.

I'm pretty sure if he pulled that stunt in Japan, he wouldn't get badmouthed. He just would not get any more fights.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 7:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist
    Oh I posted it there too, don't worry. This was actually more in response to the ymtd thread on here.
    Are you kempofist over there too?

Man, someone took "EternalRage". I was mildly annoyed.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    Ke?poFist, you have never been more wrong (congrats on the namechange, by the way. That EclecticFist **** was gay as all hell).

Kalib Stairnes is a professional athlete. And like all professional athletes, he is susceptible to being intensely mocked by fans of the sport he plays, especially in a situation this severe. This is no different from David Beckham kicking a penalty over the crossbar and having newspapers the following day releasing articles showing how Beckham put a 10th planet into orbit.

As a professional, if you don't do your job well, you face punishment.

The second thing is that you don't have to be as good as, or even modestly competent in something to give criticism, or even to mock it. Obviously. If I play soccer every other saturday, am I not allowed to ridicule the failiures of certain teams? If I don't make good movies, and have never had an acting class, am I not allowed to make fun of Natalie Portman's cold, robotic rendering of Padme Amidala in Episode II? This is different from Hedgefuckey making fun of other bullshido members for not going hard at throwdowns. This is about entertainment and professional sports.

Kalib Stairnes failed. Any ridicule and mockery he receives is completely justified.

Don't **** up next time, kid.
    For the umpteenth time, there is a difference between criticism, and **** talking. Hearing people at the bar call fighters "pussies" and other such insults just rubs me the wrong way.

Perhaps Starnes wasn't the best person to start this thread on, but whatever, it's here now and my point stands.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 7:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Are you kempofist over there too?

Man, someone took "EternalRage". I was mildly annoyed.
    Nah I got a mysterious handle over there. And the fuckers deleted my thread....they couldn't handle the truth (or da riddum)
    ~Bruce Lee

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 8:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist
    For the umpteenth time, there is a difference between criticism, and **** talking. Hearing people at the bar call fighters "pussies" and other such insults just rubs me the wrong way.

Perhaps Starnes wasn't the best person to start this thread on, but whatever, it's here now and my point stands.
    I still think you're wrong though. In any professional sporting field, people get booed and made fun of when they aren't up to standards. MMA is a sport, so it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 8:28pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's inescapable. You're 100% right there. But I still don't like/approve of fighter bashing.

Personally, I try to ignore it.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 11:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KempoFist i understand what you are saying and would usually agree with you.

But **** Starnes, **** him in ass!!!

I was there, I paid an arm and a leg to be there, A lot money I could have used for nice things for my family (which is usually what i do)

So **** him. I work hard for my money and partially paid his salary to see him FIGHT!

Also as a Canadian - **** STARNES.

And as someone who does some level of martial arts - **** Him

He was an EMBARRASMENT!

First match Jonathan Goulet, in his home town gets rocked in a manner that has finished him before. Thousand of fans cheer him on as he survive, thousands count down encouraging him not to give up, and he survives the first round. Second round he comes out with an intense look and wins by TKO.

that's pride and almost a desperate desire to win.

Bocek gets beaten up and is bleeding out of the corner of his eye, with a full crimson mask AND STILL GOES FOR A SHOOT, still moves in and takes even more punishment.

Thats pride determination and grit..

Doerkson and Jason MacDonald have one of the most Intense grappling matches I have ever seen and I thought Doerkson was Literally going to rip off MacDonalds arm, but MacDonald fought on and won, cause he didn't want to loose in Canada, he didn't want to loose no matter what PERIOD.

Even Fucking Charles McCarthy knowing he was getting beaten up still tried to fight.

What Starnes did was disgusting, it showed a lack of pride or character, I don't care if he was injured or terrified. TRY something asshole !!! Or tap out but don't waste time runnign away.

Starnes gave up but didn't have the balls to verbally tap.

So **** Him!!!

On a side note the refs should have the ability to end a match for a refusal beyond reasonable belief to engage in a fight.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 11:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    KempoFist i understand what you are saying and would usually agree with you.

But **** Starnes, **** him in ass!!!

I was there, I paid an arm and a leg to be there, A lot money I could have used for nice things for my family (which is usually what i do)

So **** him. I work hard for my money and partially paid his salary to see him FIGHT!

Also as a Canadian - **** STARNES.

And as someone who does some level of martial arts - **** Him

He was an EMBARRASMENT!

First match Jonathan Goulet, in his home town gets rocked in a manner that has finished him before. Thousand of fans cheer him on as he survive, thousands count down encouraging him not to give up, and he survives the first round. Second round he comes out with an intense look and wins by TKO.

that's pride and almost a desperate desire to win.

Bocek gets beaten up and is bleeding out of the corner of his eye, with a full crimson mask AND STILL GOES FOR A SHOOT, still moves in and takes even more punishment.

Thats pride determination and grit..

Doerkson and Jason MacDonald have one of the most Intense grappling matches I have ever seen and I thought Doerkson was Literally going to rip off MacDonalds arm, but MacDonald fought on and won, cause he didn't want to loose in Canada, he didn't want to loose no matter what PERIOD.

Even Fucking Charles McCarthy knowing he was getting beaten up still tried to fight.

What Starnes did was disgusting, it showed a lack of pride or character, I don't care if he was injured or terrified. TRY something asshole !!! Or tap out but don't waste time runnign away.

Starnes gave up but didn't have the balls to verbally tap.

So **** Him!!!
    Why don't you tell me how you really feel? :spanky:

On a side note the refs should have the ability to end a match for a refusal beyond reasonable belief to engage in a fight.
    They do. They can deduct a point for lack of engagement, and can call a fight if a fighter refuses to engage further. But in order for that to happen, you'd have to either turn your back and high-tail it across the cage, or butt scoot till the cows come home.
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast