Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 3:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look what happened to Arlovski after UFC 70.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 3:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I accept that not every fight can be Bonnar-Griffin 1. I accept that there are some guys who fight conservatively and "not to lose". Shoot, I am the president, treasurer, and sole member of the Bullshido chapter of the Tim Sylvia fan club.

But Starnes wasn't even fighting! Seriously, even the most boring lay and pray wrestler (let's call this hypothetical specimen "Kroscheck") knows that at some point, he is going to have to perform an offensive manuver, like taking his opponent down, to win the fight. Kroscheck knows better than to simply run away for 15 minutes. I honestly don't see how anyone can see the gif of Starnes backpedaling while Nate Quarry does the Urkel punch and still defend the Canadian.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 3:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    I honestly don't see how anyone can see the gif of Starnes backpedaling while Nate Quarry does the Urkel punch and still defend the Canadian.
    I'm not defending anyone, however which has more "HONOR" inherrent with it:
    1) Quitting on your stool
    2) Your corner throwing in the towel and quitting for you
    3) Not entering the cage at all for a scheduled match
    4) Having the ref stop the match due to your shenanigans
    5) Finishing the fight by back-peddling
    6) Standing and getting KTFO and never fighting again.

Now that you answered that, which is the "SMARTEST" for said fighter.

He made his bed and has to deal with the fans and the promoters. As your hero, Jim Ross once said: "whatever puts an ass every eighteen inches".

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 3:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The same Sherdog scum saying 'He should just have tapped on his feet' gave him a bunch of this same **** when he did exactly that against Kendall Grove.

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 4:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvarks
    Now that you answered that, which is the "SMARTEST" for said fighter.

He made his bed and has to deal with the fans and the promoters. As your hero, Jim Ross once said: "whatever puts an ass every eighteen inches".
    The 'smartest' things is to do what the fans want, because, like every other business, the UFC is driven by supply and demand. If the fans demand to see more of you, the UFC will supply it. It's all about who the fans want to see, and fans don't want to see boring fighter.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 4:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    The 'smartest' things is to do what the fans want
    What I asked is the smartest thing for the FIGHTER.
    Getting KTFO would be entertaining for the fans but not the fighter.
    The smartest thing for the fighter is to make sure he can physcially compete again.
    Financially, it makes sense for the fans to want to see him, but if he can't physcially compete it is moot.
    Of course if no organization wants to employ him, his ability to compete is moot, as well.

Again, I posted perhaps he thought "Hey, the fans will think me gutty and gritty by finishing out the fight" and finish it out.

because, like every other business, the UFC is driven by supply and demand.
    read that money. Starnes already made his opinion known and numerous other fighters and posters on this site have expressed similar sentiments:
    "Dana White is raking in the scratch and were raking and scratching to make a living".
    Yeah, if you want to make big bank......try a different profession, but White's comment that Starnes should have gotten KOed like a man was just asinine in my opinion.

If the fans demand to see more of you, the UFC will supply it. It's all about who the fans want to see, and fans don't want to see boring fighter.
    Which brings us to my example before: Lyoto. Boring but effective. Does he deserve a title shot based on performance? How about fans clamoring for it?
    I have read several arguements AGAINST other fighters getting title shots over others just because they were popular.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    I doubt you could catch Kalib.
    Sure, that's a **** talking joke. Get it? if I could catch him? cause he runs away? git it...? lulz.

It's also amusing to see the defenders sputter about how "you can't do it so STFU", especially here. Like it's so technically difficult to back away from someone for 3 rounds. Yeah, even old and fat and with a bad back, I could pull that off. Might even give you a few jabs a round to get a 30-25.

All I know is he couldn't fight, or wouldn't fight, and rather than bow out he pulls some running man **** to get to a decision. This is a fight strat? No, he tried to play it super-safe in a sport that demands risk and intensity. look where he is now. He screwed his opponent, the fight fans, his team and himself. Just think - if he had bowed out after rd 1, who would be talking about this?

End of day, the guy, like every other fighter that night, got in the cage and for all intents and purposes he did his job.
    Obviously his employer and their customers were highly unsatisfied with his job performance. They, not he, get to judge if he met expectations. Oh how I pine for the yellow and red cards.

29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
    That there is a UFC foul. Shoulda been called. Calib should have been DQ, then kicked from the UFC, then dropped by ATT, then expelled from the earth, forced to live in a tiny arid moon with only his ill-fitting running shoes.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 4:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which brings us to my example before: Lyoto. Boring but effective. Does he deserve a title shot based on performance? How about fans clamoring for it?
    If he's headlining or co-headlining I assume it's because the fans want to see him. Otherwise, why would Dana do it?

I have read several arguements AGAINST other fighters getting title shots over others just because they were popular.
    I was one of the people criticizing the UFC for giving Forrest the Shogun fight, which lead to him being on TUF and getting a title shot. But that was a different thread and doesn't need to be rehashed.

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 4:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    read that money. Starnes already made his opinion known and numerous other fighters and posters on this site have expressed similar sentiments:
    "Dana White is raking in the scratch and were raking and scratching to make a living".
    Yeah, if you want to make big bank......try a different profession, but White's comment that Starnes should have gotten KOed like a man was just asinine in my opinion.
    I'll concede that. But money aside, I'm assuming Starnes wants to stay in UFC (unless he's content with smaller venues and less exposer and weaker opponents) and fight the best on the biggest stage. If so, he should fight like he really wants it.

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 4:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    That there is a UFC foul. Shoulda been called. Calib should have been DQ, then kicked from the UFC, then dropped by ATT, then expelled from the earth, forced to live in a tiny arid moon with only his ill-fitting running shoes.
    Where was Herb Dean for this fight? In the Arlovski/Werdum fight, he warned the fighters that he was going to take away points for evasion.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast