Our Sponsors:

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 5:52pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, there are basicly three schools of thought at this point.

1) He did this on purpose to protest his low pay and to get out of a contract he didnt like.

2) He injured himself in the first round and could not be aggresive. (he stated after the fight that he suffered a broken foot and a jaw and thigh injury)

3) He just wanted to run around like a chicken.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 7:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't let people punch me in the head for $7,000. However, if I WERE to let people punch me in the head for chump change, I would hope I wouldn't cry like a girl about it.

Don't get me wrong - if what he says is true (especially about the different % takes for MMA and boxing), then fighters are getting screwed. The answer, of course, IS NOT TO FIGHT FOR CHUMP CHANGE.

You do what workers have always done - organize, cooperate, refuse to be taken advantage of... and get used to working at MacDonalds.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Posted On:
    4/26/2008 10:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jeet kune do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I think a certain amount of Starnes bashing is warranted, but some people go over the edge ( to the point where it isn't funny it's just cussing him out). However an analogy is in order to show how crap starnes is:

If a guy pulls a gun on you in the street while your walking to the drug store and you ran away it would make sense. You don't want to be hurt or die. The fact is you don't have the tools or training necessary to take him down more than likely so preserving your safety is all that matters.

On the other hand if your a police officer on patrol with the training and weapons to fight him and win, and you run away scared for your own safety most people would think it a cowardly act. Not because your safety matters less, but because your in a good position to fight and you volunteered to put on the airs of being a cop and that means protecting the people when necessary.

Kalib is, by all accounts and video footage, a competent fighter, and he definitely volunteered for this. So to say to someone who has never trained "well you don't fight so don't criticize those who do" is illogical because they don't try to be. If he plans on bitching about contracts he should learn to read them before he signs them. So

blotter art.

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 9:11pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kempo's got it right, lets see you motherfuckers fight Kalib.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 9:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    LOL, okay, you get on the phone with ATT and set something up, I can make 185.

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 5:00am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Christ, didn't take long for someone to make this call did it?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 6:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am probably going against the grain here, but it seems like there is a good chance the whole fight would have been forgotten as another lame fight if it weren't for Nate doing the running man, the hand over face gotard guard and Starnes flipping off Nate's corner.

It's not like there haven't been other crappy fights in the UFC. Fights where a wrestler lays on someone for three rounds, etc... This one was just memorable because of the antics at the end.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 6:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naw, it'd be a memorably abysmal fight even without Nate doing awesome taunts because it also had Kalib hurling slurs at Nate's corner and had the great boo-cheer-boo-cheer thing from the crowd when they switched from showing Starnes to Nate to Starnes to Nate on the big screen in the arena.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 10:43am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...and the fact he literally RAN the entire match. I wish they did a version of compubox for MMA. It'd be funny to see:

2 punches
    0 powershots
    0 kicks
    0 sub attempts
    0 take downs

I would...

...if I could catch him.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why should we? It is not our competency for fighting that it's into question. After all, I'm an spectator, a PPV-payer. It is his mental/emotional competency as a professional fighter that is into question. No doubt that he could kick my ass, but that shouldn't be impressive, nor negate the fact he didn't fight when he was supposed to.

Whatever flak he's getting, that was his doing, not ours. He was under contract, to do a particular job, which is to fight. If he indeed was injured and couldn't get his range, he should have thrown in the towel. Period.

There is no dishonor on that, and no one would want to see a fighter go on with an injury that's stopping him from doing so.

Maybe he indeed didn't want to throw the towel and instead tried his best to get his range (and failed to do so due to his alleged injury) up to the very end of the third. If that indeed was the case, then you have to question his judgement. He's losing, he can't do crap, he's constantly running... and he has a broken foot. Better judgement would have lead him to throw the towel.

Now, understand this: everyone fucks up. No one is perfect. But guess what? When you **** up, you get flak. It is up to Starnes now to find a way to do his thing and do a good job as a fighter. But until he redeems himself as a professional fighter, he's going to be under the microscope.

"lets see you motherfuckers fight Kaleb" my ass dude, really.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213 LastLast