Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2009 4:02pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalusername View Post
    This seems awfully familiar.

Pages 1-3: Various bullies post exclamations of hilarity.
    somewhere around pages 4-7 a newbie with his username consisting of "tampa, ninja, quest" and various numbers will post the following

For 15 pages onwards:
    Questions are asked and subsequently ignored. TAMPANINJAWHUT will fixate on a single poster. Gong sau will be declared. Wherein the thread will have two conclusions.

1. A bully goes to gym X, takes video of himself bumbling around for a while.
    2. rah wah honor insults honor thread fades to obscurity.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMS54 View Post
    I train at Tampa Quest, and am a 1st degree black belt. Some points:

1. From what I have seen all the Quest Centers have different training styles and do not teach the same curriculum. It should not be the case, but it is. From what I have heard Tampa Quest teaches the art much differently the other Quest Centers. Not better or worse, just different. My point being: You cannot judge all Quest Centers based on the experience at one particular school.

2. The art of To Shin Do, as taught at Tampa Quest is effective. There are some katas that may appear to look like "movie style fighting," but the core techniques being taught in those katas are effective. I am a petite woman, who will never been able to overpower someone with size or strength. I have been able to use the art to defend myself against larger attackers... outside the dojo, in a real life threatening situation... where it counts.

3. Everyone has their opinions. Everyone is an expert. Everyone's preferred martial art is better. All these internet rants and raves (even mine) should be taken with a grain of salt. :)

I am glad to see people taking an interest in martial arts, regardless of their preferred style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 3:23am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    Found an intresting site for a Tampa quest center:http://www.tampaquestma.com/

Outside of the BS history of this Hayes created system(http://www.tampaquestma.com/history.htm) and an instructor listed as being a blackbelt in 'Bushido' (http://www.tampaquestma.com/teachers.htm), it seems to me to be a slightly more LARPy version of the Bujinkan more than anything. Anyone had experience with it? I know the basic history- an offshoot of the Bujinkan started by Hayes- since Hayes is often credited with helping to start the Ninjer phenomenon (and from the clips and crazy books of his I've seen I wouldn't put it past him) I wouldn't be surprised to see bad things from it.

Then I saw these clips:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[yt]VBnBIKh78Cs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[yt]YGbkUQUFnx4

Dear Lord....what hast the ninjerisms of Hatsumi and his disciples wrought?
    I am very tempted t go down and check this out LMAO I always wanted to go check out one of these ninja schools.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 3:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    I am very tempted t go down and check this out LMAO I always wanted to go check out one of these ninja schools.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 3:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    the way the guy lets his katana rest is acceptable.
    notice how if it would be a live sword (for real sharp) it would be the blunt edge making skin contact.

there are some techniques in which you hold the katana in both hands, on on the handle, the other near the point, the blunt side resting in your digital space.
    This way you can bash it against your opponent or his sword and work around his sword, or you can use that particular hold to block a very strong strike.
    Thanks! That's interesting. Resting the sword on one's shoulder was banned by all the teachers I trained this with over the years, but if that is acceptable by other schools, no prob.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 3:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta! View Post
    Thanks! That's interesting. Resting the sword on one's shoulder was banned by all the teachers I trained this with over the years, but if that is acceptable by other schools, no prob.
    over the shoulder?
    you rest it over the biceps area.
    the idea behind it is as far as i know, you have some base in case you get a blow on your dword.
    it's also a position from which you can stab.

i'd never use it personally.
    with japanese swords i played the kendo approach, so both hands, point aiming at opponents throat.
    no fancy stuff.
    i've also done some iaido but didnt like it too much.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    5/15/2009 5:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you rest it over the biceps area.
    Sorry, my fault, should have been more precise.

the idea behind it is as far as i know, you have some base in case you get a blow on your dword.
    Also, I have found that this lay-back technique is not very practical,
    because when you receive a blow, you cannot maneouver as easily.

Furthermore, unless hit by a clubb, anyone should be able to parry a downward strike without using his bodyweight as a factor.

it's also a position from which you can stab.
    Though the tsuba would probably trap the stabbing move, I think.

Loved Kendo as a youngster, when I did Aikido. Ended up leaving Aikido and learning swordfighting, from a few "serious" SoCA people and so on...

Still prefer the Katana/bokken to any other weapon.
    "Rurouni Kenshin" has worked on me...
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345