United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bjjgame
    Also, I know that some therapists do well. I'd love to talk to anybody who is making a "truckload", as the jobs here are generally only a little above the state income average.
    i generally define $80/hr a truckload

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 5:04pm

Style: brazillian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yup,
    I'm making nowhere near that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 8:16am

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are talking billable rate or net rate? My billable rate is about $85/hr, but I'm not a therapist either.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 9:12am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    I had some strange hope of going in to the marines, learning the mcmap system, then becoming an instructor.

that seems quite unlikely, though.

The problem with me joining the military, is that i don't know what i'd want to do there, either.

And i'm too...smart for infantry, as the recruiter put it (no offense to any infantry guys in here...but the recruiter said i got some ridiculously high score on some ridiculous test or something, and that they wouldn't put me in infantry)
    I joined the Corps when I was a junior in HS with the DEP. I choose to be an avionics tech. I scored a 93 on my ASVAB and with a 24 on my ACT (this was 89 i think the max was 35). Yes I believed I was too smart to be a grunt. The beauty of the Corps is your going to be a grunt anyway. I was just a grunt with technicail training.

I went to boot in Diego. 2nd Battalion Hotel Co. PLT 2043. Graduated boot a LCPL. Went to HnHS 90 at NAS Milington, TN and got into a bad accident that broke my back at L5. I was discharged Honorable with medicial. Served right at 2 years.

On the OP the Corps is still subceptiable to BS just due to percentages. Just in the Corps the checks and balances are better than in society.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 3:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD & TaiJi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I was stationed in Monterey, the Corps had the largest group of late night larpers. We even had to report one because of a broken ankle. Of course, Monterey is kinda nerd central.

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 8:36pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, **** Monterey. I hated that place.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 12:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD & TaiJi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What language did you get? I was there for a 2 year Mandarin class.:eatbabies

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 5:21pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    I scored a 99, and my recruiter actually wasn't surprised when I did this. Then again, he was the coolest recruiter ever. Nothing he told me was a lie, and he let me get out of every single DEP event his station held for an entire year. But then I had to get smart and decide to be a linguist instead.

To the OP: Do not join the military because you want to do the martial arts thing. Trust me. You will find nothing but headaches. Take me. I'm a pretty good grappler. I've never lost a combatives match in the Army (When I get to my next duty station, I likely will, but that's beside the point). Combatives has been fun exactly once: When I won DLI's combatives tournament and ended up with a DS's brown round as my prize. Otherwise, has been a huge bag of gay.

I love grappling more than just about anything, but Combatives sucks all the fun out of it. I cannot emphasize how lame Combatives in the Army generally seems to be. MCMAP will likely be even less fun, because of their curriculum. If you join the military, do it because you want to join the military. Do not expect to become a better fighter from being in the military. That is what MMA gyms are for.

Take everyone else's advice and call around to ROTC recruiters. And join the Air Force. They treat you better, and it will preserve your life, because if you join the Army instead and I have to salute your dumb ass one of these days, I will shoot you.
    I concurr. Don't enlist for the sole purpose of becoming an MCMAP instructor...do something useful that you want to do when you get discharged and keep that as an aside. For one, if you don't get to become an MCMAP instructor...you won't be miserable because you're stuck in an MOS you hate. Second, military combatatives isn't all that great...if you have your blue-belt in BJJ (or if you're an intelligent white belt), you're going to run over people at combatative events. Thirdly, when you get discharged, you'll be able to do something with yourself other than sitting around saying, "I wish I had got licensing or a degree so I can actually make a living." Believe me...the third one sucks.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 7:19pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by taijiamn
    What language did you get? I was there for a 2 year Mandarin class.:eatbabies
    The good one. Arabic.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 7:28pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :new_blowi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    The good one. Arabic.
    I thought that pig latin was top of the line...geez.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast