Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Infidel

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 6:50pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    So recently i went to a marine recruiter, and the gentleman and i were talking about the martial arts.

As soon as he said this, i sighed beyond belief. I know first hand the MCMAP system is for rizzle, but i mean, ok, i'll quote

this was complete with that fancy portrait the ATA gives you, that has you doing ridiculously high kicks, and wearing that fancy blackbelt.

Now, i ask you, my general feeling on ninjitsu and all that **** is...well, ****.

My general feeling on ATA tae kwon do and all that **** is...well, ****.

And everything i've read about the black dragons fighting society leads me to believe that it is too much of t3h d34dly to discuss safely in person...so i bring it to teh interwebz.

but he was on the marine corps tae kwon do team...and while A.T.A tkd may be useless in the for rizzle life, i think they probably do an adequate job of teaching you how to point-spar effectivle

Is there any redeeming qualities about this recruiter? Is kogu-ryu ninjitsu somehow more...effective then all other shitty forms of ninjitsu?

IS BDFS actually anything that is worth being a part of?

Is this whole thing a shitload of fucking bullshido this unfortunate guy has bought into? (I know he could still kick my ass, he has that mcmap training under his black belt...yes, mcmap has a belt ranking system)
    Instead of coming here laughing about it why didn't you stand up and challange him to a circle of honour?
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 8:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    Instead of coming here laughing about it why didn't you stand up and challange him to a circle of honour?
    I'm allergic to smoke bombs, and D1m m4k tickles.

I figured it would be in bad taste to literally rofl in the marine recruiter office...

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 8:20pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sang/screamed and played guitar in a few different rock bands.

I used to play trumpet/baritone/tuba but i gave them up.

I can't sight read music.

A music major is out of the question :(
    So you're telling me that no matter how hard you try you can't hack it as a music major at a well-regarded university, but that you'll have no problems hacking it in the Marine Corps? :dontknow:
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 8:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    So you're telling me that no matter how hard you try you can't hack it as a music major at a well-regarded university, but that you'll have no problems hacking it in the Marine Corps? :dontknow:
    Well when you put it like that...

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 8:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Unless you are investigating bullshit in MCMAP or the Corps, this should not be here. If you just wanted to discuss joining the Armed Forces, you should start an appropriate thread in YMAS, not in MABS.

2) The fact that none of you figured out that the a gentleman referenced in the OP was discussing his training in Ashida Kim's org is of great disappointment to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 6:58am

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pittfrog
    There's no such thing as an ASVAB too high for the infantry, but it's certainly possible that he might think that someone like the OP might not be happy in the infantry.
    Is anybody really happy in the Infantry? I mean, yeah, you have some good times (most notably on libbo, or when you're shooting things or playing with C4), but you really do have to deal with inhuman amounts of bullshit most of the time. Suprisingly, learning to deal with huge amounts of bullshit has benefitted me, so don't automatically discount the value of this.

I also agree that there is no such thing as a max ASVAB score to be a grunt (my score was really high too---now I have a civil engineering degree). One of my best friends when I was in the Infantry had a Master's degree in Philosophy and insisted on being enlisted. He had the highest GT score in the unit.

Recruiters certainly lie...its thier job. This shouldn't come as any suprise to anybody. They just have to lie more to some than others to get the sell. I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into, so they didn't bullshit me too much.

Whoever recommended gettin gan MOS that requires language skills made a good call. However, if the OP does go into the USMC, the Corps will pick the language. Russian or Mandarin will always be good choices just from a business perspective though.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 2:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damnit, i just want free college...

Because i don't have the money for college, and i'm not talented in areas taht will get me scholarships...the military is my only option for college

unless i marry some rich broad...

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby

I also agree that there is no such thing as a max ASVAB score to be a grunt (my score was really high too---now I have a civil engineering degree). One of my best friends when I was in the Infantry had a Master's degree in Philosophy and insisted on being enlisted. He had the highest GT score in the unit.
    Well, when you think about it, it would probably a very good and awesome thing if everyone in the infantry had a masters in philosophy...
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 4:34pm

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was a scout/sniper in our batallion STA Plt. Good guy.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damnit, i just want free college...

Because i don't have the money for college, and i'm not talented in areas taht will get me scholarships...the military is my only option for college

unless i marry some rich broad...
    It's not really free. I discovered this pretty recently when I went back to school after getting out to the army. The GI bill covers a big portion of it but you'll still be stuck with a decent sized bill that you'll probably need a student loan to cover. If you take classes while your still in than you don't pay anything, but my unit wouldn't allow me or anyone else to go to school.
    The best way to get free college from the military is an ROTC scholarship. You won't have to do anything until you graduate, and even then as a butter bar you'll make more than you ever did enlisted. Then you can get out and make the big bucks.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast