Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 10:39am

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    And i'm too...smart for infantry, as the recruiter put it (no offense to any infantry guys in here...but the recruiter said i got some ridiculously high score on some ridiculous test or something, and that they wouldn't put me in infantry)
    This seals it, the recruiter in question is a lying douche (unfortunately that's par for the course). There's no such thing as a max ASVAB score for Marine infantry.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 12:29pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalCrowley
    This seals it, the recruiter in question is a lying douche (unfortunately that's par for the course). There's no such thing as a max ASVAB score for Marine infantry.
    To his defense, I scored a 99 on my ASVAB and when I said "Infantry" to the recruiter, I thought his eyes were going to bulge out of his head. He tried to convince me to do everything else, but the Infantry.
    Last edited by AlphaFoxtrot51; 4/20/2008 1:16pm at . Reason: Because I don't want my MOS to sound like I'm wearing diapers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 12:49pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know you're young and you feel directionless, but for God's sake, pick a job before you sign any military contract. Pick something that will help you if you decide eventually (as many do) that the military is not going to be your life. Make sure that whatever you pick is explicitly written into your enlistment contract. This means that if you think you are going to be a Marine Corps Basket weaver, somewhere in your enlistment contract you should see Basket Weaver training directly referenced and promised. People who think they're going to pick a specialty after they're done with basic end up doing the shittiest jobs, with precious little opportunity for career exploration and training (at least in the Navy). Also, once you're through with basic, whether or not you're sent to school for a specialty you decide you like is up to your chain of command, while stuff in your contract *must* be given to you.

If I were joining today, and I had scored very well on my ASVAB, I would consider taking language training as some of the above posters have suggested. As for language, I'd pick either Arabic, or Chinese, both for use in and eventually out of the service. Either language will greatly increase your eventual employability throughout the next decades.

Also, consider being a reservist. You don't know what you want to do, and yet you're considering making a commitment involving years of your life? Many people have made the same choice, and have regretted it and had to live for years with the consequences of signing that enlistment contract. If you're a reservist, if you decide you hate the military, you won't have to live with it for very much of the year.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the military, I joined as a reservist myself when I was young, and it was fun and good for me. I got money for college out of it, went to some cool places, and made good friends. The military *can* be great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 12:53pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalCrowley
    There's no such thing as an ASVAB too high for the infantry, but it's certainly possible that he might think that someone like the OP might not be happy in the infantry. Instead of immediately jumping to the conclusion that the recruiter is a douchebag, you might consider the possibility that he's trying, at least a little, to look out for the guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 2:14pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    I'd have thought weapons would have made up for this fault.

fixed.

Rifles are weapons, not guns in the Corps.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pittfrog
    If I were joining today, and I had scored very well on my ASVAB, I would consider taking language training as some of the above posters have suggested. As for language, I'd pick either Arabic, or Chinese, both for use in and eventually out of the service. Either language will greatly increase your eventual employability throughout the next decades.
    You can get linguist in your contract, but the specific language you learn will be determined by the needs of your branch of service.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    it just sort of made me question everything, you know? I mean, my dad was a marine, i've known alot of marines, and i'm not saying this guy was a ***** or anything like that, but i tend to instantly dislike anyone who believes in and spews such bullshit.
    It's perfectly possible to be tough and still not know what the **** you're talking about.

The military is all about long-distance stamina, climbing over stuff, firearms, maps, radios etc..

All the old hand-to-hand stuff (before the recent innovation based on live training methods, MMA high-percentage techniques) was, as far as I can tell, a very small part of anybody's training and seemed to mostly be about making sure people at least died bravely trying some low-percentage technique than being bayonetted through the chest or 'tween shoulder blades
    as they tried to raise their arms or turn and run for their lives.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 3:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will not be a MCMAP Instructor within your first term of duty.

You will not. It won't happen.

If the Marine Recruiter tells you otherwise...he's lying.

To be a MCMAP "Instructor" in any full-time capacity, you would need to be at least a Sergeant, stationed in TBS, pass all the rank/time requirements for MCMAP Instructor Trainer, and accepted into a highly impacted, highly wanted and extremely small section of the Marine Corps.

This, of course, assumes your CO would be willing to let you go...which he probably wouldn't.

Now, most platoons will send you to "Green Belt" MCMAP, which will let you lead MCMAP PT for your unit and rank others up to Grey. This, of course, would be extremely rare and secondary to your primary job.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 4:33pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori

To be a MCMAP "Instructor" in any full-time capacity, you would need to be at least a Sergeant, stationed in TBS, pass all the rank/time requirements for MCMAP Instructor Trainer, and accepted into a highly impacted, highly wanted and extremely small section of the Marine Corps.

This, of course, assumes your CO would be willing to let you go...which he probably wouldn't.

Now, most platoons will send you to "Green Belt" MCMAP, which will let you lead MCMAP PT for your unit and rank others up to Grey. This, of course, would be extremely rare and secondary to your primary job.
    Not to mention a huge waste of time...

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 5:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori

That is basically what my recruiter told me
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast