Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2008 5:10pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=mcmapman]ATA Karate guys are a dime a dozen. They arent worth a crap. Same with the Shorin Ryu guys in Okinawa who train with Master Kise at Camp Butler.
    quote]

I've been in Master Kise's federation here in the states for over 20 years, and when I first read your post started to get all pissed off and defensive. Then I thought about it. I've been over there a couple of times to train, and there were two kinds of people training in Shorin Ryu. The first were guys and their families over there knowing they were going to rotate out again in a couple of years and just looking for an off-duty activity to pass the time. But then there are the guys like Jerry DeVries, Andy Tate, Craig Hodgkins, Shane Franklin, etc. who did a lot of their training at the hombu dojo, and do it for real. I doubt you can find much to say about their skills.

And the funny thing is - it was the bored off-duty activity guys who gave us the most attitude when we came to train. They were the ones who wanted to make sure we knew that they were direct students of the Grand Master. The for real guys tend to be a lot more polite and genuine (once we spend some time beating the hell out of each other). So I guess it's like you say - it's all what you put into it.
    Last edited by senseipookie; 5/03/2008 5:13pm at .

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 1:15am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitterykenshin
    I've been in Master Kise's federation here in the states for over 20 years, and when I first read your post started to get all pissed off and defensive. Then I thought about it. I've been over there a couple of times to train, and there were two kinds of people training in Shorin Ryu. The first were guys and their families over there knowing they were going to rotate out again in a couple of years and just looking for an off-duty activity to pass the time. But then there are the guys like Jerry DeVries, Andy Tate, Craig Hodgkins, Shane Franklin, etc. who did a lot of their training at the hombu dojo, and do it for real. I doubt you can find much to say about their skills.

And the funny thing is - it was the bored off-duty activity guys who gave us the most attitude when we came to train. They were the ones who wanted to make sure we knew that they were direct students of the Grand Master. The for real guys tend to be a lot more polite and genuine (once we spend some time beating the hell out of each other). So I guess it's like you say - it's all what you put into it.
    I'm not familiar with your federation. Does it encourage participation in sportfighting, ie sanctioned amateur and professional kickboxing, MMA, etc?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 9:20am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    I'm not familiar with your federation. Does it encourage participation in sportfighting, ie sanctioned amateur and professional kickboxing, MMA, etc?
    We are definitely a TMA leaning association. But for us TMA is more old school training, not the silly shopping plaza LARPing that has come to be called "TMA". Not really MMA - pretty much all stand up with a few traps, locks, and basic throws. But our sparring leans more towards Kyokushin style, so fairly easily adapted to the kickboxing arena. We usually spar in 2 to 5 minute continuous matches, minimal padding (usually mouthpiece, cup, and gloves, with headgear required for the kids) - enough for safety, but little enough that you know when you've been hit. Some of our dojos get into the open tournament circuit, but that is purely their choice.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 8:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51
    That was a really nice throw/slam...but that wasn't Judo....
    come again?

http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/uranage.htm

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 10:51pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    I guess you could interpret it that way. I was just going to say it was a suplex...only because the positioning was different and he turned at the end which is NOT part of Ura Nage. But then again, I'm not an expert on Judo so I could be wrong.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 10:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess you could interpret it that way. I was just going to say it was a suplex...only because the positioning was different and he turned at the end which is NOT part of Ura Nage. But then again, I'm not an expert on Judo so I could be wrong.
    lol, neither am i.

However, i know that fighter is a judoka, so i'm leading towards the judo route.

Plus, the vid was posted to a guy who said throws/slams don't work in mma :p

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 10:55pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    lol, neither am i.

However, i know that fighter is a judoka, so i'm leading towards the judo route.

Plus, the vid was posted to a guy who said throws/slams don't work in mma :p
    I concur...that slam didn't do ****. :angry7:
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 10:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I concur...that slam didn't do ****. :angry7:
    indeed.

taht slam didn't knock the other guy the **** out at all.

I agree with moosey

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 7:30pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moose..

INFANTRY..

It's where all the fun is at.

I have a nice collection of photos going back to 2005 in a power point presentation entitled "The Horrors of War" you want to take a look ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 7:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember posting this. God, I was retarded. Now i'm an infantry squad leader.

I agree with moosey
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast