Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/23/2008 11:20pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    so you refer to both the upper block with the palm up and the block on the live hand side with palm down as umbrella?

Well, neither one of them is "down" per se, but the umbrella number two(stick on the other side from the live hand) is more "up" relatively. Both of them are just uppercuts that happen to initiate into someone else's attack. If you have "Attacking blocks", the "roof" that crafty does isn't a traditional Inosanto roof.......its the pekiti umbrella number one. All of the blocks actively strike into the target and are in essence just attacks that shorten their arc at the last second.

Umbrella three is kind of weird. Imagine striking the forehand angle and make a small, whipping circle that ends the cut with your hands in what would be called "ochs" in german swordmaship. It covers horizontal backhand lines.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a huge difference between a FIE 3 weapon and a non-fie club 3 weapon
    warranting the larger investment in the FIE one?
    No, just go with the cheapest one. You only need FIE certified masks if you plan on competing in fencing.

how is that non-fie one holding up?
    I'd like to get the same one but not if its not going to last.
    I don't have the same brand, but I went with the cheapest ones at Triplette Arms. The masks are non-FIE and I've had my masks since 2000 and they're still going strong. I haven't been using them recently (I found a lighter one in 2003), but I always loan them out to fighters who don't have their own. They still work well.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 9:13am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    No, just go with the cheapest one. You only need FIE certified masks if you plan on competing in fencing.

I don't have the same brand, but I went with the cheapest ones at Triplette Arms. The masks are non-FIE and I've had my masks since 2000 and they're still going strong. I haven't been using them recently (I found a lighter one in 2003), but I always loan them out to fighters who don't have their own. They still work well.

Aloha, Poi
    Tripplette arms is what I used when I was saber fencing. I recall they had good pricing.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 11:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a huge difference between a FIE 3 weapon and a non-fie club 3 weapon
    warranting the larger investment in the FIE one?

how is that non-fie one holding up?
    I'd like to get the same one but not if its not going to last.
    Like Poi said just go with the $40-$50 dollar version. That mask got me through over 20+ full contact fights and countless Saturdays in the park all with DB style rattan and it's still good for many more fights to come. It's got a couple creases but I've taken some hard shots. Still, you'll know you got hit... :icon_blac
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234