Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 10:17pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you everyone for the information and ideas. I've had kali tudo in my MA dvd collection but haven't had the chance to watch it yet. been watching the DB stickfighting series.

I think im having trouble because I'm a lefty who's semi-ambidextrous.
    but i'll be working in all these drills.

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 12:35am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh! you're a lefty? Which side forward do you do your stickwork with?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 2:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    oh! you're a lefty? Which side forward do you do your stickwork with?
    If im not thinking about it

I naturally end up almost always using right leg forward regardless of whether its stick or kickboxing
    and I use my left arm to hold thes tick most of the time now for reasons I outline below

so its kind of weird having the stick in the left hand and my live hand forward cuz it leaves me open to alot of hits and kills the range.

I usually enter in with a roof block but since I just started training again (had pneumonia last 2 weeks) I don't remember my 6 2 minute sparring session very well. especially the last round where I was gassing out bad and my stomach was starting to cramp. The guy was real aggressive and I was just controlling distance, rushing under roofblocks, then powershotting then started no longer thinking about what i was doing. and somehow managed to get 3 disarms sucessively pretty quickly. It was kind of a blur because I felt like passing out afterwards. btw are disarms under that rule-set like in WEKAF where 3 disarms in one round = TKO?

and yeah i know. my cardio = horrible.

I think im going to bring my camcorder monday or tuesday and tape my sparring so i can see what my habits are. if i can figure out how to move it off the camcorder to the computer Ill post it up here for criticism.

my footwork was trained mostly with having my stick in my right hand
    as I didn't focus on working the other side as much..

I was originally trained to use my stick in my right hand and it used to be my good arm. (from what I remember, its been awhile since the injury) until I dislocated my shoulder weightlifting and its been kind of weak/gets easily tired out and pops out of its socket whenever I do a ton of grappling with people bigger than me (I'm planning on physical therapy for it once i get insurance again).

so basically I end up being kind of ecelctic in my sparring currently. i usually circle to the left (my left) when I should be circling right. and sometimes I end up switching hands every other round.
    Last edited by variance; 4/20/2008 2:34am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2008 8:09pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weapon side foward

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 8:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh?
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 9:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my sparring sucked tonight.
    just couldn't get angry or aggressive.
    I was kind of apathetic or too focused on experimenting with different entries and blocks.
    and then I jammed my finger on my opponents helmet (WEKAF helmet with that huge metal facemask) when they moved in during a hard swing.

i can't move it very well right now.
    I guess I will finally put on some damned gloves. (I hate wearing heavy gloves for stick fighting)

I think I need to switch to a fencing mask so I can actually feel some contact or hits on my head to trigger my adrenaline/anger. also need it to keep me in the moment otherwise I end up too much in my head.

Im gonna go look for a 3 weapon fencing mask tmrw. anyone recommend a certian model/brand?

damn aggression just doesn't come naturally to me lately unless I'm angry, frustrated and/or put my pride on the line.. maybe I should focus on developing some pride/cockiness.
    Last edited by variance; 4/21/2008 9:18pm at .

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 2:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    If im not thinking about it

I naturally end up almost always using right leg forward regardless of whether its stick or kickboxing
    and I use my left arm to hold thes tick most of the time now for reasons I outline below

so its kind of weird having the stick in the left hand and my live hand forward cuz it leaves me open to alot of hits and kills the range.

I usually enter in with a roof block but since I just started training again (had pneumonia last 2 weeks) I don't remember my 6 2 minute sparring session very well. especially the last round where I was gassing out bad and my stomach was starting to cramp. The guy was real aggressive and I was just controlling distance, rushing under roofblocks, then powershotting then started no longer thinking about what i was doing. and somehow managed to get 3 disarms sucessively pretty quickly. It was kind of a blur because I felt like passing out afterwards. btw are disarms under that rule-set like in WEKAF where 3 disarms in one round = TKO?

and yeah i know. my cardio = horrible.

I think im going to bring my camcorder monday or tuesday and tape my sparring so i can see what my habits are. if i can figure out how to move it off the camcorder to the computer Ill post it up here for criticism.

my footwork was trained mostly with having my stick in my right hand
    as I didn't focus on working the other side as much..

I was originally trained to use my stick in my right hand and it used to be my good arm. (from what I remember, its been awhile since the injury) until I dislocated my shoulder weightlifting and its been kind of weak/gets easily tired out and pops out of its socket whenever I do a ton of grappling with people bigger than me (I'm planning on physical therapy for it once i get insurance again).

so basically I end up being kind of ecelctic in my sparring currently. i usually circle to the left (my left) when I should be circling right. and sometimes I end up switching hands every other round.

Do you find you have an easier time going over the top when they load in a backhand window with a lefty grip?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 2:45pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Variance, have you tried lacrosse gloves?

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 3:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The gloves SWAT dudes use work pretty well too. One of the ARMA guys I work out with uses them

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 3:41pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As the Pekiti guys can attest, perhaps an umbrella entry rather than the roof entry may help you a bit.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast