Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 1:51pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Matched vs Unmatched Lead

edit: er.. haha fucked up the thread title.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips/experience transitioning between matched and unmatched leads. and also strategies for entries with unmatched leads against bigger/taller opponents.

or is there a DVD from the Dog Brothers or someone else that deals with alot of entries and footwork.

matched lead = both people are left lead or both are right lead.
    unmatched lead = one is left lead, one is right lead.

also anyone have good coordination drills for ambidexterous footwork.

cuz my footwork is kind of confused. I've been training kickboxing with orthodox (left lead) and its been throwing me off in stick if I go with left lead because I trained FMA mostly with right lead except my right arm is weaker but faster then my left.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 2:33pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained primarily with right lead in both TKD & JKD. Switch it up in your kickboxing so you're not dumping your empty hand into one hemisphere of your brain & your weapons into the other. They don't like that.

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 2:57pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance

I was wondering if anyone has any tips/experience transitioning between matched and unmatched leads. and also strategies for entries with unmatched leads against bigger/taller opponents.

or is there a DVD from the Dog Brothers or someone else that deals with alot of entries and footwork.

cuz my footwork is kind of confused. I've been training kickboxing with orthodox (left lead) and its been throwing me off in stick if I go with left lead because I trained FMA mostly with right lead except my right arm is weaker but faster then my left.
    The Kali Tudo dvd from the Dog Brothers is enitrely about this subject in the context of empty-hand fighting.

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance

So a few different schools about this

Larry's guys all learn to go neutral lead when they're on the outside of weapon range, and step in with the weapon-hand lead. He thinks, always have the weapon forward, hit the hand and then circle out.

My pekiti training teaches that the Triangular footwork is inherently ambidexterous. You have to be able to comfortably move with either foot forward in order to present the angles we intend to use. Typically i have weapon lead forward at longer range, and a boxing lead as I angle further to the outide of the weapon, or if i'm drive-bying as we go. As long as i still keep the weapon between us, there's no reason why I can't put the left leg forward safely.

Another reason you've got to be able to move with either leg forward is that cross-stepping is the most reliable leg shot defense.

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 3:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have people feed you "the metronome" doing hand to hand and stick rounds back to back, short sets, about the length of a boxing round.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The DBMA DVD Krabi Krabong video is good with this. So is Cycle Drills, Attacking Blocks...
    Huh, lots of good ones actually.

Personally, I go back and forth while fighting and actually do better with left lead in the Salty stance. For some reason it throws people off their game when you go unmatched and the Salty makes you look defenseless. People don't know what to make of it. From there you work the trident depending on your opponents stance with your attacking block principles. As a matter of fact, in the last 3-day Gathering I got most of my best hits from using an unmatched lead. Unfortunatley though it was VERY hard to get people to fall for the attacking blocks when everybody present had the word "dog" somewhere in their name. :sad7: I guess they all have seen it before LMAO.

edit: Also, IMHO it's easier to work your MT kicks and teeps in the unmatched lead. Of course, that's mostly KK and a variation on that theme.

edit #2: FYI - EVERYBODY is bigger/taller then me that I fight. So, if I can do it... :XXjester:
    Last edited by Red Elvis; 4/19/2008 4:36pm at .
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 4:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With the weapon in the rear I definately have an easier time setting up power shots. Particularly when double sticking, I like to take the dominant hand rear.

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 4:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    With the weapon in the rear I definately have an easier time setting up power shots. Particularly when double sticking, I like to take the dominant hand rear.
    I agree as far as power on a number 1 or 8. I can play an outside game off lead and then cover a lot of distance to get in with a big shot.

However, my heavyist shot is still #4 off the right lead.
    Last edited by Red Elvis; 4/19/2008 4:45pm at .

Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 4:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Backhand horizontal?

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 5:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup... and my strongest punch is my left hook. Go figure?

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast