Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses Everett McGill
    Have I said so anywhere ?You sure about that ?
    No, there was one thread that I'm aware of. But my posts in that thread were there for non-surface reasons.
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 4/21/2008 2:59pm at .

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 3:00pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is what exactly ? Enlighten me.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 3:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses Everett McGill
    Which is what exactly ? Enlighten me.
    To demonstrate a double standard on bullshido.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 3:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I don't give a toss about double standards here (*IF* they exist), the website is run/owned by Phrost and that's the end of that score.

What I'm interested in, and interest is as far as this deal goes, are the questionable standards/ethics as advertised on the WCAF website and the connections to your teacher.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, Ulysses, when I read your first post in this thread quoting from the WCAF website, the first thing that popped into my head was... But it depends on what the criteria are for promotion/rank. I mean, however silly it may seem to me personally to create one's own style instead of just saying I teach MMA and have X,Y and Z ranks in these arts, there is nothing inherently bullshido about having an organization to maintain some ranking standards and grant rank based on those standards. It is only bullshido if they sell rank to unqualified people. Thus far there appears to be no such evidence whatsoever. In fact, we have Mav specifically denying that and the obvious qualifications of Mav's instructor.

What the website advertises is not enough to condemn, because the website does not actually say, "Hey give us money and we'll rank you no matter how unqualified you are." In fact, it implies there is testing and standards involved. So, IMO, there are no more questions to be asked, unless you actually find some evidence of the WCAF selling rank to unqualified individuals.

Your questions were good one's. But they've been cleared up. Not sure what you're hoping to accomplish now.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 3:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    This is what I got out of reading the paragraphs you posted. Of course it remains possible that the "test" might just be testing wether your check cashes or not, but we have no evidence of that.
    As I posted previously, we have had one cross promotion of a black belt in Gaijin Ryu Jiujitsu. Who had to train for and pass the Gaijin Ryu black belt test, just as everyone else.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 3:18pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think if we can demonstrate a case where this instructor/administration awarded rank to an unqualified individual in exchange for money, than we have a very real thing to investigate. (Remember when we did it to Ashida Kim?)

Is it a bit wonky? Yes. Is this the type of thing we need to look into? Sure. I see no reason Ulysses here shouldn't look into the individuals ranked by this association. This cross-examination of Mav is silly, though. If you think it warrants a comprehensive looking-into, then do it. Let us know what you find.

Unfortunately, we do not have any element of surprise here to try it...
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 3:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Actually, Ulysses, when I read your first post in this thread quoting from the WCAF website, the first thing that popped into my head was... But it depends on what the criteria are for promotion/rank. I mean, however silly it may seem to me personally to create one's own style instead of just saying I teach MMA and have X,Y and Z ranks in these arts, there is nothing inherently bullshido about having an organization to maintain some ranking standards and grant rank based on those standards. It is only bullshido if they sell rank to unqualified people. Thus far there appears to be no such evidence whatsoever. In fact, we have Mav specifically denying that and the obvious qualifications of Mav's instructor.

What the website advertises is not enough to condemn, because the website does not actually say, "Hey give us money and we'll rank you no matter how unqualified you are." In fact, it implies there is testing and standards involved. So, IMO, there are no more questions to be asked, unless you actually find some evidence of the WCAF selling rank to unqualified individuals.

Your questions were good one's. But they've been cleared up. Not sure what you're hoping to accomplish now.
    And what do you have to say about the issue of the Soke council and the dubious connections illistrated earlier in this thread ?

And for the record, I haven't set out to accomplish anything, I'm entitled to ask questions based upon observations, correct ?

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 3:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And what do you have to say about the issue of the Soke council and the dubious connections illistrated earlier in this thread ?
    What dubious connections? It appears the most dubious connection is to a Judo guy who, even his detractors admit, is highly skilled at Judo! lol That's not very damning. I mean, the whole idea of a Soke Council seems foolish to me. But that doesn't make it bullshido.

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 3:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    iu-Jitsu de Brasil, Faixa Roxa under Carlson Gracie, Jr. 11/02/2003
    I couldn't find any listing of an "Epperson" for any belt level in BJJ. If the rank is Purple or below, this isn't unusual...but it definitely is a strong indicator of the presence of a Brown or higher rank lacking in BJJ.
    FYI, google tells me Fiaxa Roxa means purple belt.
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast