Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 9:28pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Engel
    At class last night I found out that everyone who has been rolling longer than me is envious of my cauliflower. They don't understand that sensitive ears are a curse and not a blessing. Just something else you have to worry about. I roll better with my headgear on because I am not cautious of bumping my ears.
    A bit of cauliflower is cool IMHO. Cauliflower where it looks like there's a mushroom growing out of your ear is not however.

I'm sure cauliflower is genetic since there's guys I know that fight really rough and never get it while other guys that barely do anything have it come up almost instantly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2008 8:40pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cauliflower ear is only cool among grapplers. It is NOT cool anywhere else. Most people have no idea what it is and think there is something horrible wrong with you, and maybe it's contagious!

Try standing in front of a jury (I'm a lawyer) to make your brilliant case-winning argument, but instead of rapt attention all eyes will be on your ear and all minds on what the fck is that space alien growing from your head. Major distraction regardless of you profession.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 10:28am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread necromancy. Anyone have experience with this:

http://www.cauliflowereartreatment.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 12:09pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm ... $35, it's worth considering. I know there is about an 85% that this is pure bullshit, but I hate cauli and I hate ear-guards that much. Right now my ear is ok, a bit ugly, but fully healed (after 3 weeks of ear guards).

I don't see how it can treat hard cauli though. Hard cauli is permanent - it's cartilage. That part makes me skeptical. Gonna see if can find more info on this before I become an experiment for y'all ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 8:02pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The idea of cauliflower ear gives me shivers up my spine.

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 8:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been sub-rasslin' SAMBO and Judo and BJJ for 15+ years now. I learned that just "warming up" your ears before rolling really helps: knead them with your hands, fold em over and move them around a bit.

The notion is that you're flexing them and getting circulation to the small capallaries. Wether this is actual fact or not, I can't verify, but in practice its seemed to help.

Also, anytime I go home with a mashed ear, I'll put a cold pack on it. Treat it like a bruise: cold compress and if its really a lump, alternate with a hot compress. I have a freezer full of those hot/cold packs and they're great.

I've lost some definition over the years but not that noticeable. I agree that alot of it is technique, there are more ways to escape headlock and such than just yanking your head out like its a jammed-up dog penis :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 1:51pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hegs
    Thread necromancy. Anyone have experience with this:

http://www.cauliflowereartreatment.com/
    Okay, I bought it and have been using it for a couple of weeks. It's made a noticable difference. It also alleviates the tenderness associated with getting my ears mangled. The amount of stuff you get looks like it won't last very long, but it does. A small amount goes a long way. Other than that, I started doing what theotherserge recommended and things are considerably better. I didn't have the foresight to take pics. Sorry. I know that headgear is a good alternative, but I just couldn't belive how effing retarded I looked wearing them. Not that I don't look like a tard to begin with, just worse with the headgear. Plus as well as I got the headgear adjusted, there were times when it got half torn off and that sucked big time.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234