230832 Bullies, 4629 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 3:18am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had bruising in the ear that hasn't developed into Cauliflower Ear. I guess it depends on the actual injury mate.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 10:03am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried rolling with headgear and HATED it. I felt like I couldn't hear and claustrophobic as hell when someone got a hold of my head.

The good news is my ear is a lot better since my last post. Its definitely thicker than the other one and if you compare you can notice but it still looks pretty normal. My wife is the only one who notices.

I figured out a simple trick that seems to work. I just put a light coat of Vaseline on and behind my bad ear right before class. Don't put a huge glob on there since its not fair to your training partners - just enough to soften it up. Been doing it a few weeks now and haven't had to drain since ...

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihonto
    I tried rolling with headgear and HATED it. I felt like I couldn't hear and claustrophobic as hell when someone got a hold of my head.
    QFT!

Plus they fall off :(
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 10:57am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but is cauli a huge swelling of the ear ALWAYS or may this bump a small cauliflower development?

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 3:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It could start out small and then get bigger. The more you irritate the bump the more blood is going to flow to it and the bigger it will get. That's what happened with mine.

Update: I did have to go get my ear drained again and a second bolster put on my ear because I didn't give it time to heal. I let it heal right the second time and it's fine now... a little thicker and stiffer than the other ear but whatever. I have been using headgear now and I have no problems with it. It has maybe come off (or been pulled off) once while rolling but that's a pretty small price for normal ears.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihonto
    Update:
    I got my Cliff Klean "Tornado" headgear in the mail. It is comfortable. But I do think it will make guillotine and triangle escapes much more difficult. I will give it a try, but if it interferes I will ditch it and just visit the pretty nurse every once in a while ...
    this is probably one of the reasons why you're getting the cauliflower ear to begin with.

if your choke escapes involve you wrenching your head out... it isn't wrong, but there are better ways of going about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 11:46pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mine started just like yours, a little bit here and there. I went off to compete at the British Commonwealth games and had a rough match with a New Zealander after which it swelled up to the size of my fist. Got it drained that night but had to fight again in the finals the next day. Despite a very comical head wrap it got mashed up and swelled up again after my finals match (I lost, boo!). The hospital had been kind of dirty and dingy so in my inifinite wisdom I decided to wait a week until I got back to Canada to deal with it. The resident in the ER froze it and brutalized it. The guy in Malta who did it without any freezing was much much better. By the time I got to the ENT his exact words were "What the hell happened to your ear?" followed shortly by "There's nothing I can do to fix that now!". It's not terrible, still ear shaped just really bulky and filled in.

As a medical professional I'd probably advise against draining it on your own since you could really cause problems with infection and damage if you do it improperly. Since you seem to have found a good clinic I would go with them. I'd also not take any of the antibiotics your doc ordered you since there is absolutely no reason for you to be taking them since cauliflower ear isn't an infection. The only thing they'll do is make your more susceptible to picking up MRSA and that's not a good thing.

Headgear is definately your friend during the time before the ear solidifies. Yes it feels crappy and you look like a complete dork. Mine was a big blue hood with foam donut padding on the sides. My instructor actually just stopped the class and told everyone to take a good look at me, have a big laugh and get it out of their system when I put it on. It made a huge difference though. Wear the headgear until the ear is better or else you'll end up taking one big shot and have a monster one like I did.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 9:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my instructor is a pro MMA fighter, and in one of his final years of medschool, took a look at my ear again yesterday and told me the bump had indeed swollen a bit, and that it has indeed a little bit of cauli, but to stop worrying and ICE THAT BITCH constantly for a while, and it will go down. it still worries me though. i asked him if i had to get it drained, he said no, just to ice it at this point.

iced it for a couple of hours last night. the swelling is the same size, but it's no longer purple, and it hurts less.

he also said to def. buy myself some headgear. i plan to do no newaza until i get some, and no striking to the head without headgear from now on.

i'm also probably being very paranoid. it is just a small bump. only noticeable to sight if you take a good look at it, comparing it to my other ear.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 9:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    headgear recommendations?

looking at combatsports's options:

http://www.combatsports.com/SearchRe...ategoryID=2555

earguards start on pg. 3

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 8:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At class last night I found out that everyone who has been rolling longer than me is envious of my cauliflower. They don't understand that sensitive ears are a curse and not a blessing. Just something else you have to worry about. I roll better with my headgear on because I am not cautious of bumping my ears.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast