Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 5:53pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Youngest 10th degree black belt?

I had a journalist ask who was the youngest person ever awarded a 10th degree black belt. Please provide examples if you know of anyone promoted to such a rank below the age of say 45, and how they achieved such a promotion.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found the following information online. Source: http://www.geary.com/Christopher_N._...n_Kempo_Karate

Professor Christopher N. Geary has introduced thousands of people in the Omaha metropolitan area to the art of kempo/kenpo.

On September 1, 2006, Christopher Geary was promoted to Tenth-Degree Black Belt (the highest level of Black Belt). The Black Belt Certificate said that Christopher Geary was "found to be of good character, sound morals, and a leader among martial artists everywhere." Christopher Geary was also acknowledging as the Founder of his system, Christopher N. Geary's Shaolin Ch'uan Fa.

Being promoted to Tenth Dan made Christopher Geary the second youngest Judan (tenth-degree black belt) Grandmaster in the world at age 35, and the youngest person in the United States ever to have achieved this rank through legitimate means. Grandmaster Eizo Shimabukuro of Okinawa, Japan, received his tenth-degree certification from Kanken Toyama in 1959 at 34 years of age.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also found this on the net concearning Eizo Shimabukuro's training.

Source: http://www.tnrendokan.com/Book.html

Grandmaster Eizo Shimabukuro began the practice of Karate at the age of 13 under Master Choto Kian. Master Choto Kian practiced and taught Tomarite, which he passed on to young Eizo. At the age of 15, young Eizo could no longer afford to train at Master Kian's Dojo. He then began training with his older brother, Tatsuo.

At the age of 16, Eizo moved to mainland Japan without his father's consent. There he worked in various warehouses and mills. Eizo found Master Choki Motobu and began his studies under him at the age of 16. He continued his studies until the age of 19, when he was drafted into Imperial Japanese Navy. After 5 months, Eizo was injured in a shipyard accident. Eizo remained hospitalized until the end of the war, when he was discharged at the age of 19.

Two years later, he returned to Okinawa. Less than one year later, he began instructing in the ways of ShorinRyu Karate.
    So he studied for six years straight, took a leave of absence and started teaching from age 22 till he got his 10th degree at 36, meaning it took him 20 years of training/teaching to get to that point.

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 6:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gary Wasnewieski - not sure of the spelling. Founded Ty-Ga karate (he and his brother's names, Tyrone and Gary). Features often in UK MA mags.

I have no opinion as I don't know him

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 7:10pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I thought TKD was fast, 23 years and I've only got 4th, he got 10th in 20 ;p.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 1:04am

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In What art? Bujinkan yu o got tons under 45 myself included

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 5:48am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo

In Kodokan Judo the youngest ever was 61.

Nagaoka, Hidekazu (b1876-d1952)
    Came to Tokyo from his birth place, Okayama at the age of 16 to seek out the Shihan. Entered the Kodokan in 1893 and practised so hard it was said of him, "The technique is Sutemi, the man is Nagaoka." Many of his contests are still the subject of countless reminiscences. All his efforts were poured into the training of young teachers and he was of the greatest assistance to the President of the Kodokan. He did much to gain for the Kodokan the secure position it enjoys today and was promoted 10th Dan on December 27, 1937 by Jigoro Kano, just a few months before Jigoro Kano died. He is one of only three 10th Dans promoted to that rank by the founder of Judo. He and Isogai were the first students of Kano to be promoted to 10th Dan while alive, and he was the youngest man ever to be promoted to 10th dan. He passed away on November 22, 1952.
    Last edited by Askari; 4/19/2008 6:31am at .
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 6:31am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shorin Ryu

The youngest in Shorin Ryu Karate was 34.

http://www.okinawankarateclub.com/shorinryu/index.htm

Shimabukuro Eizo Hanshi

As Kyan Sensei's top student, Shimabukuro O'Sensei was left in charge of the Shobayashi Shorin Ryu system at the time of Kyan's death. Having received the tenth dan red belt at the age of thirty-four in 1959, Shimabukuro O'Sensei holds the distinction of being the youngest person to ever achieve such an honor. His 10th dan was awarded by Kanken Toyama Sensei and his certificate is No. 25.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 6:40am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I know, 10 degree black belt is automaticaly given to someone who creates their own art, so theoreticaly you can be 16, create your own art and have a 10th dan, to get a 9th dan in a system already started by someone else (and not being the founders best friend) its got to take at LEAST 30 years

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 6:48am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    Gary Wasnewieski - not sure of the spelling. Founded Ty-Ga karate (he and his brother's names, Tyrone and Gary). Features often in UK MA mags.

I have no opinion as I don't know him
    Just a short side track on the thread, Eddie, the guy you mentioned attempted to join the EKGB (as it was then) claiming to be 10th dan, on his first attempt they rejected his application entirely, he later submitted another, where, the EKGB informed him that they would only be prepared to accept him at the grade of 5th dan LOL.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast