Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 4:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Changing crowd reactions.

Lately there's been a whole lot less booing in the crowds in MMA fights for ground technique. Even in the UFC.

Diaz v. Pelligrino for example, was just on. Is was all on the ground, basic positions, decent movement, some good technical stuff happening here and there. The crowd oohed and awed good groundwork. I even heard a hushed oooh as Diaz was working a triangle setup. It didn't pan out, but they recognized and reacted to a setup.

This is more and more the rule rather than the exception. Is even the long reviled UFC live audience starting to understand and appreciate technical groundwork? I think the saturation bombing of popular culture isn't just bringing in new yokels who want to see blood, it's giving people a chance to appreciate what the hell is actually happening in a fight. MMA is growing up.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 5:44pm

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to a local amateur event yesterday, and all I could hear was a bunch of drunk rednecks shouting, "KILL HIM, BREAK HIS NECK, STAND 'EM UP, BOOO."

Things are undoubtedly getting better, but we still have a ways to go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 5:46pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You think we'll reach that japanese level where 30.000 silent fans go whoooo and ahhhh at the graplling chess that goes along in the ring?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 5:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love it when the clap politely, tennis-fashion, at a well executed escape in Shooto.

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 6:51pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Japan's crowds were always much better but I'm glad there's less booing. Still, I don't think it'll disappear altogether... this sport is still being marketed directly to the WWE crowd.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 7:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was an opposite reaction during the Boetsch/Hammil fight. The standup was so god awful people were praying for it to go to the ground. Well, at least I was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 7:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Japan's crowds were always much better
    Except when it came to supporting their promotions so that they didn't go belly up and get bought for chump change, but no nationality is perfect I suppose.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 7:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, Sub Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At King of Kombat there was a fair amount of "stand 'em up" shouting in a few cases, but only when both fighters had reached apparent stalemates or were unwilling to make a move. I don't recall the ref actually getting involved in many of those cases. There were plenty of positive crowd reactions when one fighter got a clear move on the other on the ground, triangle choke attempts etc were greeted with a lot of shouting and I think the fans are getting a feel for what constitutes a strong position or a reversal of fortune. (However, I think a lot of fans still see having someone in the guard as being in a defensive position, instead of the offensive, attacking posture that it is.)

There was booing, however. Usually in response to the ref stopping fights or in the case of a fighter winning "too fast." (In one case a winner got his opponent in a very tight arm bar within seconds of the fight starting and the crowd simply didn't want to accept that the other guy had to tap out. But that's just how it goes sometimes.)

I heard plenty of guys around me who didn't seem fit enough to be students of jiu-jitsu shouting things like "kumura!" and "get yer hooks in!" (which is really funny when shouted with a drunken texas twang...something like "getcheerhurkshinn!"). The sport is definitely making progress in educating fans in "how the game is played."

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 8:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demilich
    getcheerhurkshinn!
    That shall be my new "KNEEBAH!!!!!!"

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    4/06/2008 8:37pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous
    MMA is growing up.
    *tear wells up in eye*

My little baby? All grown up?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast