Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 12:10pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

sparring

I have trained in boxing for 2 months last summer ,but I had to quit because the summer vacation was over and where I live there is no boxing gym.a few days ago I met someone who trained in kickboxing.does it help my striking if I spar and train with him without having an instructor?
    :bully:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 12:15pm

Style: karate, Ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on how long he's been training or if he's any good. Two months of boxing probably means you still don't know how to box. He very will might become a defacto instructor to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 12:20pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ray jackson
    Depends on how long he's been training or if he's any good. Two months of boxing probably means you still don't know how to box. He very will might become a defacto instructor to you.
    he trained for allmost two years with an instructor

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 1:38pm

Style: karate, Ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's cool he might have some things to show you. I don't think you'd get any worse by training with him.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 2:13pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by breakdown1101
    does it help my striking if I spar and train with him
    Does the pope **** in the woods?

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    Does the pope **** in the woods?
    Only if there are children playing nearby
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 10:05pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So should boxing really be in your style field if you boxed for two months a year ago? I mean, if I smoked cigarettes for a month last year I wouldn't call myself a smoker...just my thoughts.

edited to add:

But yeah, it couldn't hurt your technique or lack there of to train with this guy, if he knows what he's doing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 3:44pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MT is kinda funny, in that there aren't a ton of attacks. There are the basics, a few more advanced moves, and most fighters learn/devlope their own slick tricks. If you have an eye towards fighting, then get a trainer. Not just for the techniques he will show you, but for the conditioning methods, and the motivation to do them.

MT has some moves that some would call advanced, and yea I sugest learning those from some one who trained for more than two years with a coach. For sparing as many others have said it can't hurt unless he just uses you for a mobile punching bag.

As far as learning from him, if he is not throwing combos, and switching levels (kicking and punching) in those combs, don't pick up bad habits. As I do always, I suggest light sparing till you get to know the guy, what I call shadow sparing, or what the Thais call Len or play.

Really, find a gym if you want to learn.