Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh, this is beginning to smell like viral marketing for the TV show.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 9:46am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Nick just posted a reply on a MMA message board.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=...1280774&page=5

I'm all for Thompson's challenge, don't get me wrong, though I do criticize his method. You'd think in a fight like this, Thompson would fight for honor; doing battle to stand up for the sport he has made his life out of. Instead, he refuses to fight unless Maoshan puts up $40,000. It just seems kind of lame to call someone out to fight them, then refuse the fight because they won't put up 40 Gs. Oh, and Thompson screwed up the "glass on our knuckles" reference by refering to it as Bloodsport.
    I'm glad I clicked the link.
    Did you even read his entire response?

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the late response. I am in Vegas getting Sean ready and am also getting ready for my real fight, lol. Unfortunately the guy pulled the video down before I was able to see it but I am sure it was good.

In any case, here is the basic story. The guy said something to the effect that mma was not real and that kung fu guys would break our bones with their eagles’ talons and what not. So I suggested that we each come up with $40K and have a winner take all fight. I have a venue (Madtown Throwdown) and we can do no rules because there is no commission.

Needless to say, kung fu guy’s response was that he couldn’t come up with the money but that I must be scared to come to the “hood” and fight him for free. I am not terribly worried about going to the hood…I have been to Gary, Ind. But I am not going to fight him for free anymore than I would expect someone to punch in for a 40 hour week with out getting paid.

But, if someone knows how to get in touch with this guy, maybe we can get something else going. This guy is never going to fight me and I doubt he will fight anyone else. But just in case, I have numerous lesser known teammates that would be interested in fighting him just for publicity. We can still do it on Madtown Throwdown. We can work out something where he pays his own airfare and when he undoubtedly wins, it is recouped. He gets no show money but if he wins, we can arrange a substantial sum…which I am even willing to pay a part of. Alternatively, I could make a video that he is scared to come to the sticks and face me. We could even have some banjo music playing.
    If I'm a Pro fighter you are going to pay me to fight. It has nothing to do with honor. Kung Fu is in shitsville right now, trying to recapture the popularity of the 70's and 80's. MMA has nothing to prove to anybody any longer.

Also, he says they would recoup his airfare since, he can't come up with 40,000. So, it negates your "honor" argument.

Eh, this is beginning to smell like viral marketing for the TV show.
    QFT.

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 12:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake

If I'm a Pro fighter you are going to pay me to fight. It has nothing to do with honor. Kung Fu is in shitsville right now, trying to recapture the popularity of the 70's and 80's. MMA has nothing to prove to anybody any longer.
    Is it really less popular now? Kung Fu has definitely lost the respect and prestige it once had-- but it seems like it's as popular as it ever was, from a purely commercial standpoint.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 12:21pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptoid
    Is it really less popular now? Kung Fu has definitely lost the respect and prestige it once had-- but it seems like it's as popular as it ever was, from a purely commercial standpoint.
    Let's see, yahoo and google sports have a MMA page. MMA is getting on to regular TV. MMA movies are starting to get made.

Yes, Movies and some commercials is not the same as it was back in the 70's and 80's. MMA killed many traditional schools.

That is what I'm talking about. Getting into this type of fight helps the MMA, BET and maybe Moshan's school. In that order.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 12:33pm

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad I clicked the link.
    Did you even read his entire response?

Would a dollar suffice? Cause that seemed to be enough for Hermes Franca to go after Manny.

Nick Thompson really doesn't have to prove anything to Maoshan, since Thompson is a professional fighter who competes regularly and Maoshan does not. We know how tough or good Thompson is, but Maoshan skills, for most of us, are in question. In the end, Maoshan talked smack about MMA, and Thompson was simply responding to his comments.

That said, let's be fair here. $40,000 is a pretty high amount for most people. There are pro-fighters out there who don't make that much money, and who fight for significantly less. It was a poor setup from the get-go. Why would Thompson even make such a ridiculous offer?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 12:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by T3hJudoChop
    Would a dollar suffice? Cause that seemed to be enough for Hermes Franca to go after Manny.

Nick Thompson really doesn't have to prove anything to Maoshan, since Thompson is a professional fighter who competes regularly and Maoshan does not. We know how tough or good Thompson is, but Maoshan skills, for most of us, are in question. In the end, Maoshan talked smack about MMA, and Thompson was simply responding to his comments.

That said, let's be fair here. $40,000 is a pretty high amount for most people. There are pro-fighters out there who don't make that much money, and who fight for significantly less. It was a poor setup from the get-go. Why would Thompson even make such a ridiculous offer?
    The whole thing is ridiculous. I think that was the point. Ridiculous street vs MMA needs an equally ridiculous response.

I guess you missed this part of my post.
    Also, he says they would recoup his airfare since, he can't come up with 40,000. So, it negates your "honor" argument.
    Yes, I agree the amount is ridiculous.

He also says that he or his fighters would fight him at his gym. If Moshan won they would pay is trip.

So, really I see no problem.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 12:59pm

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole thing is ridiculous. I think that was the point. Ridiculous street vs MMA needs an equally ridiculous response.

I guess you missed this part of my post.

Yes, I agree the amount is ridiculous.

He also says that he or his fighters would fight him at his gym. If Moshan won they would pay is trip.

So, really I see no problem.
    Yes I saw that part, but I think we interpreted Thompson's response differently.

The recouped expenses are not for fighting Nick, but for one of Nick's teammates, who may be willing to fight just for the sake of publicity. That's the way I read his response at least. Maoshan wants to fight Nick. Why should Maoshan fly out to fight someone other than Nick?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 1:04pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by T3hJudoChop
    Yes I saw that part, but I think we interpreted Thompson's response differently.

The recouped expenses are not for fighting Nick, but for one of Nick's teammates, who may be willing to fight just for the sake of publicity. That's the way I read his response at least. Maoshan wants to fight Nick. Why should Maoshan fly out to fight someone other than Nick?

I took it as poorly worded that he could fight Nick or he could fight some nobody.

But, if someone knows how to get in touch with this guy, maybe we can get something else going.
    I took it as a whole. That they could work something else out or he could fight another fighter.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 4:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KTS & JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man, this **** is all over the internets.
    We all know Ben Hill is not fighting Nick Thompson.
    Ben ain't flying out west, Nick ain't going to NY.

Although I really do understand Ben's argument, about why should he have to be the one to travel, as I understand it, didn't the Gracies travel everywhere to prove their art?

However, I do see someone that trains mma in NYC stepping to Ben. I think that is what is going to happen.

As for Nick vs. Ben, no way!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 12:54am

Style: Hung Kuen, Jook Lum SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    unfortunately, this is a clusterfuk. This is what happens when TCMA guys talk about certain skills=eagle claw, tiger claw, dim-mak, etc and people take it out of context, and run with it.
    The way Ben said it, it appeared to me that he wasn't claiming that HIS eagle claw will rip tendons, etc, but that there were, and might still be people that have spent many years training these specific skills, and when this is done, it can be devastating. Look at anyone who spends time doing ANY specific training, For instance, I knew a Baker, who had a grip that would crush most men's hands. The guy kneaded dough all day long for years. His hands were like a vise. I had a friend who has been riding dirt bikes all his life since a child. He rode a Maico 500 at 16. His grip and forearm strength was amazing. These are real world skills. The problem with most Kung-Fu practitioners is that nobody is willing to devote the time to really developing these specialized skills. Did they exist? I have no doubt. Do they exist now in modern times? There are very, and I mean VERY few individuals who have devoted their lives to this type of training. It's not as far-fetched as you might imagine. Just look at any Thai boxer-from Thailand's shins. I met a guy fro China-trained the military police. This guy had strength that I couldn't fathom. He was smaller than me, but he could move me with ease, and I couldn't budge him. I know a shuai-jiao teacher that has been training for many years and his grip, was astounding. I also met a guy who did a village Hung Kuen, who trained extensively on his tiger claw. Now, I have met many Hung-Ga guys (myself being one) who claim to train the claw. This guy had scary strength.
    BUT-he put in the time. Day after day, year after year. Nobody wants to do this type of training, but it does exist, it's not supernatural, it's training plain and simple.
    When we take this stuff out of context, or we let these stories grow into fables, when we get carried away with the stories and all that goes with it, it becomes silly.
    This situation has grown way out of control, each side adding gasoline to the fire. I don't know how this is going to be resolved, but I for one would like to see it done with dignity, and intelligence.. If two men have a difference of opinion about whether their technique would or would not work, let them work together and test their theories. This way, perhaps both parties grow from the experience. This is, after all, what we are about. Martial Artists should always be seeking to evolve themselves and their art. We learn from each other.
    The rising tide lifts all boats.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 5/27/2008 12:58am at .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234