Sponsored Links Spacer Image

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 10:43pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man, I hope this happens. So bad. So so bad. I just looked up Nick Thompson's record, and the guy is 35-9-1. And the last time he lost, he was fighting Karo Parisyan. And given that most of his victories are by chokes, I predict a very unconcious Maoshan. I think this will be up there with the Japanese Kiai master and John Marsh versus the San Soo guy, and The Omar debacle in great moments in challenge matches.
    Also, how exactly did Nick respond to the challenge? Email, youtube comment, telegraph? Do we have a copy of it? And what's all this business about 40,000 dollars?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I just noticed that they're in the Yin Fu lineage of Bagua, which there happens to be a branch of in Ann Arbor:
    http://greatlakeswushu.com/
    I know several people who train there, and some of them have a similar "we the deadliest thing sarin gas" attitude, except with more of a white middle class Nietzche-reading philosophy major flair. The instructor (Richard), however, seems like a pretty chill and rational dude from my brief encounters with him.
    Here's a picture of me choking out such an individual after I had a few months of BJJ training:

He had previously talked about how his rooting would prevent any sort of takedown I might do and how he would KO me by punching me on the back of the head if I shot in. I still double legged him, and this was the result (note: my shot really, really sucks).
    I suspect the Nick Thomas/Maoshan fight will end similarly, just with a great deal more adroitness than I could exhibit.
    Also, I once got to meet He Jinbao, the current lineage holder/grand poobah of Yin Fu Bagua. He complimented me on my Chinese.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 11:47pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this hasn't happened by now, I doubt it will. Such a shame... it would have been nice to see Nick Thompson maim that guy. Oh well.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, I sent an email for what it's worth. Maoshin said he would be in Manhatten soon, I sad "me to!". Just sent another on asking when we could do this.
    Plenty of places in NYC this could happen, organized with vale tudo rules even.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 4:22am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure you guys understand they want to street fight.

As with most TMAers, their delusions don't consider that they spar with rules like everyone else.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Street fights are fun for everyone. Who wouldn't want to street fight?

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am still constantly bewildered that some people cant seem to realise that training mma, or any rule based sport art, does not confine you to those rules outside of competition.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 10:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KTS & JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    I am still constantly bewildered that some people cant seem to realise that training mma, or any rule based sport art, does not confine you to those rules outside of competition.
    I feel you. Also, these guys that do these kung fu movements don't exactly fight like that either.

I do have to say though, that even if someone fought strictly with "mma rules," they'd still beat most dudes on the street.

I know Novell though, he is pretty nice with his hands.
    I don't know his take down defense though.

Maoshon, I don't know at all. I know my peoples know him, that's about it.

War Novell!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 11:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KTS & JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the real, if someone just came up to Novell and said, I just want to throw some hands, spar, see where you at, where I'm at, he would be cool with it. I know he's done that before.

The internet is making this world too small. Sooner or later, someone from some camp is going to step to Maoshan. I just hope someone is there to tape it. Everyone is getting really bent out of shape over this, and it shouldn't be. What happens if someone does fight him and someone gets seriously hurt? Now you have all this evidence that **** was premeditated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 11:11pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nick just posted a reply on a MMA message board.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=...1280774&page=5

I'm all for Thompson's challenge, don't get me wrong, though I do criticize his method. You'd think in a fight like this, Thompson would fight for honor; doing battle to stand up for the sport he has made his life out of. Instead, he refuses to fight unless Maoshan puts up $40,000. It just seems kind of lame to call someone out to fight them, then refuse the fight because they won't put up 40 Gs. Oh, and Thompson screwed up the "glass on our knuckles" reference by refering to it as Bloodsport.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast