Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was mainly to have some simple points to keep in mind. Havin something that is too long or too detailed makes it hard to keep with you when you roll. Each point here is simple enough to remember.

There are alot of books which discuss positional tips. But I think my greates strength in BJJ is my ability to analyze overall situations. I often say "I don't know alot of moves, but I can make stuff up all the time as I go." I can't remember when I actually got a regular arm bar or triangle from a traditional set up.

I have some ideas that i'd like to put down soon regarding fighting for position, I just need to get the thoughts in my head straight.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 1:03pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really like how you illustrated #6.
    We were working on that from in mount last night, you put it into words perfectly.

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 1:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very good post. Sticky worhty.

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 1:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This will be a great sticky for all the beginning grapplers out there. If I may add (in my personal opinion):

-"Jolt" instead of "Shove", "Jerk" instead of "Pull"
    i.e. When cross-faced from Side Control, frame out and make space for shrimping by exerting quick, short "jolts" instead of a long, sustained "push". When playing neck control from kneeling or standing, "jerk" the arm/neck instead of a committed "pull".

This is REALLY helpful when facing stronger opponents, as these types of motions are effective regardless of your overall strength.

-No Passive Position
    Newbs get lazy/winded and tend to stall in any position they can. This may work for point tournies...but shouldn't be trained. Instead, EACH position should be held with continual pressure and continual motion...even if there is no attached sweep/counter per motion. If possible, apply pressure in different ways to create openings.

i.e. Guard - Keep pressure tight (but not gotard tight), alternate between overhooks, underhooks, neck control, arm control, etc... Control the elbow even if you have no intention of forcing an armbar. Control the neck from plum even if you have no intention of transitioning to guillotine. Transition to double underhooks even if you have no intention of moving to butterfly guard.

The idea (as a newb) is to apply constant light pressure to continually keep your opponent defending. Many new guys get in the "Survivor" mentality and spend their rolling sessions constantly defending.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Satori,
    I am going to add that to the piece I am working on next.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 11:19pm

Style: BJJ @ OAMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah man that part about under hooks when you are in guard, as a noob that is gold. Thanks.
    If only all posts were this good. I spend a lot of time searching through crap looking for gold like this.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 11:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great points. I think the note about controlling the hips is a great way to think of take downs too. While a single or a throw may originate from somewhere other than the waist, you cannot finish the move and turn it into a pass until you have sufficiently controlled the hips.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    You will see guys hold the headlick for eternity
    Yes. Do not headlick for eternity.

It's way grody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 12:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo :(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great stuff, thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:37am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i noticed that something people don't do (me included) when they're new is exerting constant pressure from the top.

some people will have the tendency to put lots of pressure while in say, side control, but once they begin to transition to say, N-S, they will stop the pressure to scramble to position instead of keeping pressure down on the person they're pinning. this only gives them more of a chance to escape.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 7:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twKoxinga
    i noticed that something people don't do (me included) when they're new is exerting constant pressure from the top.

some people will have the tendency to put lots of pressure while in say, side control, but once they begin to transition to say, N-S, they will stop the pressure to scramble to position instead of keeping pressure down on the person they're pinning. this only gives them more of a chance to escape.
    That's called being a bad wrestler. :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast