Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 7:17pm

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tang Soo Do.

My primary, and at the moment only, art I practice is Tang Soo Do. Its a good mix of standing techniques, grappling, groundwork, submissions, throws, kicking, and weapons. I've been training for about 3 years and have learned quite alot.

Is there anyone else here who practices Tang Soo Do?

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 7:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know i would say Tang so Do is a good mixture of the abouve. Its primarily focuses more on strikes than grappling. Its a close realative to TKD.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 7:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, but unlike TKD, it doesn't suck. I've taken TKD before, and thought it was impractical in a fight. Alot of what Tang Soo Do teaches, is useful in a fight.

Stand and Deliver, Bitch

Posted On:
    11/18/2003 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    depends on where you got your TKD and the level of instruction..I know a TKD instructor who is also a hapkido man and hapkido techniques are required on his exams. He typically tries to keep stuff realistic so you won't see too much 720 spinning there. Only thing is he need more grappling than what he does but other than that ..he's not bad. Remember, there are a few in tkd who are actually of some high quality and not just dancers.
    ~Whatever Happens, Happens.~

~From this moment on, I shall be known as "He Who Smokes Bitches"~

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 4:21am

Style: Kung Fu San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sat in and watched a Tang Soo Do instructor teaching his "advanced belts" class. I have to say I was rather unimpressed. Some ok leverages and kicks, but the hand strikes were weak and situational drills unrealistic. As someone who has been in a number of street fights (yes, I was young and stupid), I just didn't see it as being very real world applicable. I'd definitely say that Hapkido would be a better bet as far as Korean arts go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 7:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hapkido is a good way to go. I'm planning on training in that soon, if not Street Tactics. My instructor is alot more practical about what he teaches. He incorporates alot of street fighting techniques as well as traditional TSD.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alot of what Tang Soo Do teaches, is useful in a fight.
    What does TSD do that is so different from TKD as far as techniques go?

Regards,
    Matt

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 8:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do TSD. I have done some TKD
    One thing I know for sure is that TSD schools don't have their heads up their asses like a lot of TKD schools. TSD schools are more open to expermentation with other styles and techniques whereas TKD schools I go to say " that's not TKD, we will not learn that".

Practicality is another good thing I see. In TKD, we sat there doing jump spinning wheel kicks for hours. I really don't see that helping me on the street.
    TSD does jumping kicks, But In TSD I have spent an equal amount of time practicing knee and leg kicks.

TSD does not focus on the "flash" techniques I see in many TKD schools. Rather it focuses on the fundamentals and practicle techniques. TSD is 60% kicking rather than the 70-80% you see at a TKD. Kicks are taught to be practicle, not flashy. The forms are Japanese and TSD admits to the fact the the style's roots are based on Japanese and chinese styles.

The two TSD schools I work in do joint locks and have guest instructors from BJJ and Judo schools teach ground fighting...another thing I see TKD frown upon...having guest instructors from other styles.

I want to qualify my input by saying I have never worked with a TSD school which is part of the WTSDF. I try to avoid international organizations, and from what I have read, the WTSDF is getting to be as closed minded as the WTF.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm part of the ITF, headed up by Grandmaster Chun Sik Kim. Unfortunately however, my current instructor does have his head up his ass. He will kick you out if he finds that you are praticipating in any other martial art, especially a particular street tactic program (long story). At the present I'm thinking of leaving, as within 2 years, the school has become more based upon profit, than learning. My only difficulty is I'm unsure of what art to learn next. If anyone can give any helpful suggestions, that would be great.

Stand and Deliver, Bitch

Posted On:
    11/19/2003 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** ..if he kicks you, kick him back. But closed minded ppl like that, ditch em
    ~Whatever Happens, Happens.~

~From this moment on, I shall be known as "He Who Smokes Bitches"~
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast