Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 2:51pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure it would end up with serious criticism from various camps, but has anyone tried to do a decent social history of Chow-Mitose inspired Kempo and its spread first in Hawaii and then beyond? It seems like it would be an interesting project if for no other reason then to do the chapter on Elvis.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 8:34pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    I'm sure it would end up with serious criticism from various camps, but has anyone tried to do a decent social history of Chow-Mitose inspired Kempo and its spread first in Hawaii and then beyond? It seems like it would be an interesting project if for no other reason then to do the chapter on Elvis.
    Thank you for that, because I have the utmost respect for all martial arts instructors, but I just want to understand and you seem to have the same idea in mind

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 7:23am

Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you please further clarify what you mean by the term “social history”?

Also I do not believe having a white trash junkie by the name of Elvis as a poster child for your martial art advances your respectability cause.

There are many websites out there that have detailed “Kenpo/Kempo family trees” etc.

You are so very correct in your belief that even if someone did write a scholarly researched historical book of the spread of Ke?po – well – the first inquiry would probably be what style does the author study? As in what camp is his mindset? Does the author have a bias towards EPAK, Kajukenbo, Tracy, Kosho etc.

Also towards this end, the common thing that Mitose, Chow and Ed Parker have is they are all dead.

What matters is what are the style leaders, movers and shakers are doing now in this millennium for their martial art?

Wow don’t I sound like a twenty year old MMA wannabe on Red Bull?
    :eusa_eh:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 9:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_history

Also I do not believe having a white trash junkie by the name of Elvis as a poster child for your martial art advances your respectability cause.

I'm not particularly interested in the respectability issue, at least not in this context.

What matters is what are the style leaders, movers and shakers are doing now in this millennium for their martial art?

Maybe to you, but there's a rather ripe field of inquiry, academic or otherwise into "How the heck did this happen?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 1:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus

There are many websites out there that have detailed “Kenpo/Kempo family trees” etc.

You are so very correct in your belief that even if someone did write a scholarly researched historical book of the spread of Ke?po – well – the first inquiry would probably be what style does the author study? As in what camp is his mindset? Does the author have a bias towards EPAK, Kajukenbo, Tracy, Kosho etc.

Also towards this end, the common thing that Mitose, Chow and Ed Parker have is they are all dead.

Wow don’t I sound like a twenty year old MMA wannabe on Red Bull?
    :eusa_eh:
    That was quite stirring and I can relate to what you and Fitz are saying. Somebody does need to return the root of it all and go from there.

:ohyeah:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 1:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_history

I'm not particularly interested in the respectability issue, at least not in this context.

Maybe to you, but there's a rather ripe field of inquiry, academic or otherwise into "How the heck did this happen?"
    You and Sisyphus are both on to something here.

:5hot:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 11:57am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.kenpokarate.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 10:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a godo outline of the history. The kind of stuff I would be interested in seeing is an attempt to understand why Kempo caught on within the communities it did and how social changes are effecting how the art is changing.

I know, it's completely an Anthropology-dork kind of thing, but I'm in a program and I'm working through it.

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 7:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    I thought Hapkido was Korean Ke?po.
    I thought it was Korean Aikido.

Oh, well. That's what I get for reading those stupid-ass Kanji.

Should stick to reading invisible-ink characters: anyone can claim to read Ninji.

(yegods, butchering dé Eengleesh eez très amusant)
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 6/09/2008 7:50am at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123