supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

YAMMA pit fighting more explosive

YAMMA pit fighting more explosive

Metro News Services
    April 11, 2008 12:14

Picture a more raw version of UFC and you’re somewhere close to what YAMMA pit fighting is supposed to be about.

The new league, debuting tonight at a pay-per-view event at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, N.J., pits masters of mixed martial arts against each other in an unforgiving tourney of power and endurance. YAMMA is the brainchild of Ultimate Fighting Championship founder Bob Meyrowitz, who had the idea to return to the raw origins of mixed martial arts. Battles take place in a ring — the full details of which are to be unveiled on fight night — devised to keep matches continuous and more explosive.

“There are a few differences between YAMMA and UFC,” says Barrie, Ont.-based former UFC champ Gary “Big Daddy” Goodridge. “But the main difference to be concerned with is that there’s no division weight class. A 300 lb. fighter can be paired up with a 200 lb. fighter.”

The event will feature an eight-man elimination tournament to crown the YAMMA champion. Each match is one round and lasts five minutes. The championship round will be a tougher test of mettle as the two remaining fighters face off for three five-minute rounds of merciless blood-spattering action.

Along with the tournament, YAMMA will hold two masters superfights, where legendary battlers will showcase their skills and experience. Among the masters superfight contenders is professional boxer, kickboxer, WWE veteran and mixed martial artist Eric “Butterbean” Esch, who has held the IBA World Super-Heavyweight Championship and the WWA World Heavyweight title. At 5 ft., 11 in. and 390 lbs., Butterbean has a mixed martial arts record of 11 wins, 6 losses, 1 draw and 4 knockouts.

His opponent will be mixed martial artist Pat Smith, who replaces Goodridge. Goodridge was forced to pull out of the event after a March 30 loss in South Korea was recently determined a knockout. According to rules of the New Jersey Athletic Commission, a fighter must be inactive for 30 days following a KO.

Smith, a native of Denver, Col., made his name in UFC’s early years with some notable bouts, including defeating Ninjitsu fighter Scott Morris. Smith is currently on a hot streak, winning five of his last six MMA matches.
    >> For more, visit www. yammapitfighting.com.
    http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/sports/article/38577

Interesting, we should have some reports up for you guys soon.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reading these play-by-plays, it looks like those lips only help stalling.

I hope I didn't need a spoiler tag for that.

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 11:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw it on ppv. SPOILERS: The new surface didn't change a whole lot; fighters just got pinned against the "warning strip" instead of the cage. Nobody was having trouble practicing the recumbent 1-inch punch all day. This may have been because most of the fighters were doughy, lumbering heavyweights. It might turn out differently when middleweights or lightweights get to try it out.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what the **** did I just watch? I swear to god that this whole event was filmed in 1992 as a failed UFC prototype and Bob Meyrowitz is just trying to profit off it now cause he's hurtin for cash.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

poser

Posted On:
    4/12/2008 12:11am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    what the **** did I just watch? I swear to god that this whole event was filmed in 1992 as a failed UFC prototype and Bob Meyrowitz is just trying to profit off it now cause he's hurtin for cash.
    Didn't watch it, but that's how it sounds to me.

Posted On:
    4/12/2008 7:50am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pity. By reading the title I was hoping that the fighters had been rigged with explosives set to go off if any of them should tap out during ho-hum fights. I guess only the latter was true if the recent video posted by Omega means anything.
    Last edited by nightowl; 4/12/2008 8:15am at .

Posted On:
    4/12/2008 8:40am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Butterbean and Pat Smith? Too bad Karl Gotch died last year, they could have signed him up too.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2008 9:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x51...markkerr_sport

is the last fight of the evening.

Its hard to tell if the pit is any good because the fighters were all boring. The slope seems to make getting a takedown really easy but the lay and pray artists couldn't seem to figure out that trying to shove the other guy up hill to to the fence wasn't going to work.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/12/2008 9:25am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, for the most part the fights sucked (we will have a fight report up soon), but the sloped cage did keep the action - if you could call it that - away from the cage. I kind of liked that.

The production quality of the show was crap.

My student and I are writing a comparative piece (he was there live) of the TV production vs the live show.

The butterbean thing was a joke. And what's worse was Pat smith being all proud and boasting about that win...that was pathetic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2008 10:13am

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any other videos available besides the Mark Kerr fight?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast