Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very, very nice show. 5 matches, 5 subs; about as good as it gets!

Even though you asked, I'm hesitant to give too much commentary because your competitive record is far better than mine. Nonetheless, and I'm sure you and your coaches know this, your two biggest weaknesses seem to be positioning and pressure from the top and your sweeps from full guard (I know jack **** about that fancy x-guard stuff you and Jack are talking about). This is actually really common for guys like you with really good subs from the guard, getting reversed out of a top position just means you sub them from the guard.

Despite that, you'd be well served rounding that out. I think you got reversed out of a dominant position in every match except the last. Because of how quickly you move, I suspect that you probably favor a light movement based approach kind of like you would do on a ball. The problem with that is that you don't seem to be applying pressure where you need to be. The best you did was one segment in one of the matches where you were holding side well but as soon as you went to mount you got reversed. This suggests that you were keeping them down entirely with your arms as opposed to your actual body weight. Keep in mind that you should be able to keep a guy pinned in large part just with your sternum and blocking their hip. If there are guys at your gym with a real crushing top-game, ask them how they do it and try and focus on the details (angle they're driving at and where), when you get that down you'll be more able to treat your opponents like a ball drill.

As for sweeps, most of your reversals came from half or x or elsewhere. Try and get the traditional sweeps down more. As your opponents improve, so will their bases and if they're at all familiar with defending x or half sweeps you'll be in trouble because that's your mainstay.

Since it was solicited, I would really recommend taking the next two months and making a concerted effort to only submit from the top. A good way to work this for yourself is to get to, for example, side and then hold the position for a 5 count in your head. Then either work a sub or improve position. Of course if you've got a tournament coming up, keep doing what you're doing 'cause it is working great!

Again, really, really nice work out there. Except for your top game you look like a purple rolling with blues.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 2:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark, You looked great in those matches!

It should please you to learn that I did your rape choke --> High mount --> arm bar at jits.

Coincidentally, everyone is a little upset, but it works great.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 10:06am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Match 1:

Nice X-Guard Sweep at 48 seconds; if you donít immediately drive your hips down and knee past you will end up either in guard or fighting from combat (like you were). From this sweep it is pretty easy to drive knee through on the same side and work from half guard. You can get the pass off the sweep by driving knee through to cross side but you have to secure the guys bottom leg by driving forward to flatten out his upper body while switching your X-Guard leg under-hook to an over hook and grab his other pant leg to pass. The cross side pass is not an easy thing to do.

Holy ****, your a point scoring machine...sweep (2), pass guard (3), knee on belly (3), mount (4), mount (4), sweep (2) = 18 - 0, then an arm bar....jesus christ.

Your patience with the S-Mount transition was great.

Match 2:

That Sean Williams Guard at 2:47 sucks, and you had it deep. The guy had no idea how to respond to your switching from high guard, to rubber, the Williams, then back to rubber. Awesome job. The guy got inpatient and let your far leg come around for the triangle...great set up.

Match 3:

Wow, that guy had a GREAT set-up/transition for the pass to the N/S cross collar.

WTF...trying for a guillotine from under mount at 1:57? Good job correcting your position and passing to the opposite side to defend the guillotine...but, you should have stayed in mount.

Why did you give up the arm bar at 2:40? That **** was pretty deep, did he have his arm figure 4'ed to defend? The guy actually stopped stacking and tried to stand out of it when you moved your leg out from in front of his face.

You got it eventually which was pretty damn good. What is funny is that as soon as you got that last high guard transition over the guys shoulder he knew he was fucked. Good job.

Iíll watch the other 2 later

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 5:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aaand here's me getting crushed by that giant polish guy again.

YouTube - torres elite open piotr stawski vs mark curry

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 12:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used that arm drag friday night about 3 times.

It was awesome as ****.

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 9:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Awesome as ****", but easy as hell to get when you outweigh your opponent by 100lbs. You really had no choice but to give the ankle pick/single off that arm drag.

Other than that mounted triangle set-up, you looked, technically, much better than the huge polish guy.

Good job Das.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 10:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikW View Post
    "Awesome as ****", but easy as hell to get when you outweigh your opponent by 100lbs. You really had no choice but to give the ankle pick/single off that arm drag.

Other than that mounted triangle set-up, you looked, technically, much better than the huge polish guy.

Good job Das.

The people I got it on were bigger then me.

But yeah, You looked good, considering you were outweighed by a sausage loving polish man.

I agree with moosey

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 2:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't commenting on you Moosey...my comment was directed to Das and how easy it was for Gigantus to hit the sweep.

Arm drag to single, double, ankle pick, or to take the back is a high percentage take down that gets exponentially increased if the guy being taken down is outweighed by 100lbs.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 5:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there anything Das could have done, to beat Godzilla?

I agree with moosey

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 11:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Is there anything Das could have done, to beat Godzilla?
    As always, hindsight is 20/20 and in the heat of the match Das really did everything he could...but, putting it under a microscope...

For the huge weight advantage the guy had, he should have been able to pass Das' open guard much quick than he did. He actually was only able to pass when Das let up at the 40 sec mark.

That is the first example of Das being technically better than Gigantor. Very loose and playable open guard.

Das was lucky the mongaliod had no idea what to do when in mount because Das gift wrapped the arm bar at 1:40.

Honestly, the americana attempt at 2:30 was pitiful.

The one opening Das had at 2:40 he took but...with a guy that big he would have had to explode, ball, explode, get his knees up or under himself and generally out scramble to get free. The problem is that the guy was much bigger, much stronger, and apparently pretty athletic so a scramble would not likely be in Das' favor...which is why it didn't work.

In my opinion, Das' best opportunity to escape comes at 2:56 as the guy starts to set up the mounted triangle. He could have bridged and pushed the guys hamstring with his right hand and try to turtle out the back door while pulling his left arm down.

Once the triangle was locked he needed to relax and regain his base to set up an escape. The scrambling from inside the triangle probably sapped Das pretty good. Regardless, escaping the triangle (posture with knee to butt, drive angled knee to the floor, knee to stomach and pull, or step over head and drop back) was going to be VERY hard simply because I doubt Das would have been able to posture against that monster.

So, I really think Das did the best he could and was really just held down by a much heavier and stronger guy who didn't really know how to finish.

Das had great open guard movement at the beginning; good mount defense and escape attempts when they were there. He didn't have a chance to mount any offense because the guy just held him and grinded out the match.

There's my analysis...good job Das.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast