Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    I think when going to knee on belly or mount or whatever you were considering at 0:55 you should make sure to keep better contact with the opponent. Right there it looked like you jumped off him and left a ton of space. Generally you should stay in better contact with the opponent in top side. Like your coach screams (Is that Ciaran?) - Keep your hips low.
    My main comments were going to be about mounting and position. All around his top game, at least positionally and from a control perspective, was weak. His coach was, of course, yelling the right things. To mount properly you don't need to go kos first, but you certainly can't leap up without the other guy regarding.

I'm guessing, based on the quickness of the triangle and the "stand up" portion, that Moose pulls guard incessantly in training. Looked like the other guy probably did too. Nice triangle though.

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice guys, it's pretty spot on and I'll be working to improve my top game over the next few months.

Also the last 2 videos are still working for me, must be a problem with your computer I guess.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 5:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some key (general) points about side control:
    1- If you're underhooking their head your shoulder should be exerting tremendous pressure to the point that their head is facing away from you and your shoulder is driving essentially into their jaw.

2- The point you're driving your weight into should be on your side of their sternum, otherwise your weight is on the wrong side of the teeter-totter (or fulcrum depending on your preference for metaphors versus technical terms).

3- Regardless of whether your knees are up into them or you're sprawled out while in side control there is no way, while you're pinning (which you should have been since you weren't really working subs) that your opponent should be able to get anything above their xyphoid process off the ground. If their not uncomfortable, you're doing it wrong.

For all of grappling, and in this case when you went to mount:
    Don't every do anything without a fucking purpose.

Why are you grabbing that wrist? What are the options doing so avails you of? What does this open you up to?

Why are you underhooking that leg? What are the options doing so avails you of? What does this open you up to?

If you don't have a reason, don't fucking do it.

For example, don't throw a leg lazily over while you've got side just because you know you're supposed to get mount. Go to mount for a reason and with deliberation.

I got really exasperated with a guy a few weeks ago about this sort of thing. We were grappling and he would grab a cuff or collar and just sit there holding on to things. He had no reason why he did anything and had no conception what his actions could lead to. Fucker hasn't gotten better in over a year because he doesn't fucking think.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 5:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great show in the second video, good job being calm and escaping.
    In the final video, your posture for about five seconds starting at 0:30 is bad. At 1:40ish if she'd underhooked your right leg instead of overhooked it your ass would have gotten dumped, you stood there with your feet to close pushing her down and she let you.

Nice kneebar.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 8:15am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just watched the first vid with a critical eye and agree with upa's crit regarding your side control....there is too much space and you really, REALLY, needed to transition to head and hip control from head and shoulder control to stop the guy facing in and almost recovering half guard.

Why did you release the inverted triangle at 2:12? It looked pretty secure.

Also, be careful with your lazy stand-up. I understand that you pull guard often but had the guy you went against had any wrestling in his back ground you would have got shot on and dumped very quickly. With your hips that high while reaching (you should never reach) for the clinch your begging to get your side or back taken from a simple duck under. Thankfully, the other guy was no good at take downs either.

However, I still think your transitions were generally smooth, just some fine tweaking here and there. Once I'm able to get my recent matches up I'm expecting everyone to rip them apart so don't think your the only one.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 10:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, there was a lot of good, but what is there to say that's helpful about that?
    I'm simply trying to do what I commented on being lacking in another thread.

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 10:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys don't worry, I can take constructive criticism. It's very helpful for me.

GJ - by "head and hip control" do you mean a 100 kilos position?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 10:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure exactly what he is referring to but in general you should always have head and hip control.
    My coach always yells "knee hip or hand".
    Something needs to block their hip so they can't turn into you.

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 11:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah OK, I was trying to block his hip with my knee but I guess I wasn't doing a very good job of it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 1:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a vid demonstrating the side control I am talking about. The guy shows the position at 36 seconds.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/7...de-control.htm
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast