Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 3:56pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

starting MT

Hey guys, I'm starting MT/MMA to go with my BJJ this summer and I was wondering what kind of stuff (material and immaterial) seasoned strikers would reccomend that I should know and buy before starting. I've done shitty striking arts in the past but I don't really remember much and non-gay striking is probably a whole other world anyways (no meditation, forms etc.)

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To start off with you can try in regular shorts and t-shirt. Ankle supports can help but aren't a necessity. I'd recommend getting a pair of wraps and getting a cheap pair of gloves to start off with or you'll be using the cheesy smelling old gym ones.

If you want to spar then you'll need some nad protection, a mouthpiece and shin pads
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 6:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to class first. Your coach will know what you are doing better than nerds on the internet.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/12/2008 5:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shark is right. Make sure you actually like the class and want to stay and then see what your coach recommends.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/12/2008 7:23am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    To start off with you can try in regular shorts and t-shirt. Ankle supports can help but aren't a necessity. I'd recommend getting a pair of wraps and getting a cheap pair of gloves to start off with or you'll be using the cheesy smelling old gym ones.

If you want to spar then you'll need some nad protection, a mouthpiece and shin pads
    I cant finish reading your posts because I will always just end up staring at the boobs on your avatar.

Posted On:
    4/12/2008 5:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Err.... Thanks?