GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tharuz
    excuse me for not seeing that far through specifics, douchebag.

Wow, his reply to you was not in any way derogatory or anything of the sort. Yet you call him a douchebag? Suck a cock please.

I agree on the franchising thing being McDojo, but honestly if the schools are quality then I would do the same thing myself. If I could charge people $1,000 just to look over an application you bet I would.

I never really have a moral opposition to McDojoism because if I ran a school it would be my business, and you need to make money.

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 12:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I don't see the problem with the instructors not being MMA'ists. In fact that is great. You have a Judo, wrestling, boxing, etc, coach for different ranges. However at least 1 MMA fighter would be nice when it comes time to put it all together which I don't think they hve yet.

Also, I think they might have weights and cardio equipment which might mean you wouldn't need your gym membership anymore.
    Not bad I suppose.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 1:03am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im sure its a wonderful place to train but I dont care and will hate on it anyways.

Troll 4 life.

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 1:11am

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Wow, his reply to you was not in any way derogatory or anything of the sort. Yet you call him a douchebag? Suck a cock please.

I agree on the franchising thing being McDojo, but honestly if the schools are quality then I would do the same thing myself. If I could charge people $1,000 just to look over an application you bet I would.

I never really have a moral opposition to McDojoism because if I ran a school it would be my business, and you need to make money.
    I just noticed that....

I guess with all the recent flaming I've gotten a bit defensive, and paranoid.

yet that's no excuse for me.....if I flame you I'll just look worse....pretty sure I should let this whole thing die.

like I said: I can't really think throughly or see whats not being said, specifics.

I like everything about xtreme couture exept the fact that its so damn expensive.

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 1:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool.

I pay $120 a month for training. $25 a month for a 24 hour gym. So $145 a month total. I have a 1 year contract at both places.

Xtreme with a 1 year contract is $165. It has the training and gym all in one, however it is not 24 hours, which I love. But it does have the name. So it is not that bad IMO from where I currently stand.

Agreed with GIJoe6186 though, I must hate it! New gym in local area, grrrrrr.

Troll 4 life.

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 1:34am

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    24 bucks for a gym? you're kidding me right?

my local YMCA charges $30 a month, and balley charges around 100

errm...nevermind, its pretty much the same price, the only thing that hinders my training is that decent MA schools are far away from where I live.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 1:46am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    holy fucking ****. This is....nothing short of....EPIC.

This school is a mish mash of all the 2nd tier Sportive MA gyms on the island, all joining under the XtremeCouture banner. I met Ken Hewski, and he is a mad cool guy who runs his own kickboxing school out east on the island. He brought in some BJJ and Judo guys to run no-gi grappling classes at his place. I wonder if he's dedicating himself full time to this new place.

I fucking love the titles they use. All military titles, bwahahaha!

This like other franchise attempts sounds like major bullshit, but I can at least personally attest to the striking and grappling instruction taking place there being decent, as they have a legitimate BJJ purple instructing (even if he is a Kioto guy....bleh....) and Ken is a kickboxing and MT fighter in his own right.

The rest I am not too sure about. What the **** is an "Urban combat" or "Special Ops" instructor. Those are some SERIOUS red flags going up for me at least.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 9:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps we should go more in depth with all the instructors. As you guys pointed out there are several who seem like they are very good despite lack of MMA experience. Though many great fighters agree it's best to practice each art seperately for MMA they also agree that only certain arts will help you, and others have no real place in MMA, and are not only going to take up valuable time, but can also build bad habits for the cage. so let's break this down with 2 categories; here's the ones i get:

Xtreme Couture NY Ultimate Warrior: Randy Couture

Rank
    Unit Commander
    Weight: 225
    Height: 6'2"
    Record: 16-8
    Strengths: All around bad ass. 6 Time UFC Champion
    Ok, we all know Randy is the ****. we also know that 16-8 is his MMA record, and has nothing to do with previous wrestling or anything, so I have no problem with this one, other than the fact that they make it seem like Randy will be a regular instructor there when he lives in Vegas and runs his own gym. They even made it sound like Randy was actually moving to NY to open the school himself.

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Ken Hewski
    MMA / Muay Thai
    Coach
    Rank
    General
    Age: 32 Weight: 200 Height: 6'1" Record: 46-3 Strengths: Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Striking, 7x kickboxing champion and ISKA world kickboxing champion

As far as I know Ken is a great American Kickboxer. Obviously a champion kickboxer has something to offer any prospective MMA fighter, but I asked around and heard nothing of Ken's Muay Thai training. Anyone got any input? I can only assume he put that there because it looks better when you want to be an MMA coach since American Kickboxing's rules are basically like TKD with punching to the face. 46-3 is not an MMA record of any kind. From what I've heard this is his kickboxing record, and he's never fought MMA. Still impressive for what it is, so why not specify and site it?

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Jay Evers
    Strength & Conditioning
    Striking Coach
    Rank
    Commander and Chief
    Age: 37 Weight: 205 Height: 5'10" Record: 1-0 Strengths: Strength & Conditioning
    striking
    This one set's a couple things off, but I'm still going to keep him in the good category. strength and conditioning is absolutely necessary, and i get that, but what's with the unspecified "striking" thrown in there with the 1-0 record??? wtf is that for? someone please tell me, cause judging from his stance it seems like they just didn't want to leave it blank, so they threw a win in there for him.

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Kurt Wagner
    Wrestling / MMA
    Coach
    Rank
    Colonel
    Age: 36 Weight: 155 Height: 5'6" Record: 130-20-1 Strengths: 2x free style champion, 2x eastern regional champion, suffolk county champion
    Now this one is impressive. I've heard nothing, but good about this guy. the only problem i have is with the unspecified record. It's clear to people like us that this is his wrestling record, but I think it's very misleading to the general public that may be interested. I mean Randy was a great wrestler, but his MMA record is up, not wrestling, and you can find the same on on sherdog.

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Jeff Sanford
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Coach
    Rank
    Colonel
    Age: 38 Weight: 185 Height: 6'0" Record: 19-5 Strengths: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (under Kioto system), grappling, submissions
    This guy is a badass. I'd seen him roll a few years back, and he's smooth to say the least. I can only assume that 19-5 is his grappling record though.... who keeps track of that? I'm actually suprised it's not more.

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Master Mansur
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Coach
    Rank
    Major General
    Age: n/a Weight: n/a Height: n/a Record: To many to list Strengths: 9th degree Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, grappling, MMA
    Everyone knows Master Mansor is about as legit as they come in the BJJ world even if he is ecxtremely old-school. Nobody outside the Gracie family has more direct roots then him, and he's undoubtedly probably the biggest selling point of xtreme couture NY. I just got a laugh out of the record they gave him; i mean can't they at least spell "too" the right way? i also find it odd that he'd help a rival school when he just opened his own brand new school less than 10 miles away... i definitely can't figure that one out.

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Darren Goldstein
    MMA / Wrestling
    Coach
    Rank
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Age: 39 Weight: 120 Height: 5'2" Record: 210-30 Strengths: National greco roman champion 5x all american
    obviously his record is for Wrestling. with that being said it's extremely impressive, and i have nothing to say about him.

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Bryan Perry Jr.
    MMA / Judo
    Coach
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Age: 27 Weight: 195 Height: 5'10" Record: 3-2 Strengths: Judo, Grappling

again, just the unspecified record bothers me....

next is the one's i have a harder time getting...
    Last edited by Paige8; 4/13/2008 10:05am at .

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember Wagner from high school. Never knew him or anything (he went to Port Jeff, I went to Comsewogue, the other school in the area and this was in the Stone Age) and he was certainly an amazing HS wrestler. His brother as well if I remember correctly.

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 10:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's where it gets interesting:

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Ariel Padilla
    Urban Combat Commander
    Rank
    General
    Age: 39 Weight: 154 Height: 5'7 Record: 15-2 Strengths: Boxing, 2nd degree blackbelt Jiu-Jitsu, 2nd degree blackbelt Eskrima/Arnis
    urban combat commander? last time i checked MMA gyms didn't have those. This guy is NOT a BJJ black Belt, so I can only assume that his rank is in some difficult to verify form of JJJ... I'm also extremely curious WTF his 15-2 record is for,street fights? lol

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Joe Saladino
    Special Ops
    Rank
    Tech Sergeant
    Age: 41 Weight: 185 Height: 5'10 Record: n/a Strengths: Self Defense Rape Prevention, Jujitsu, Arnis Filipino stick, hand and knife Instructor
    special ops? i thought this was MMA... at least the didn't give him teh d3ad1y record.

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Christina Poulos
    Kickboxing
    Coach
    Rank
    Captain
    Age: 26 Weight: 130 Height: 5'7" Record: n/a Strengths: Kickboxing, yoga, pilates, sports nutrition

this is cardio kickboxing... personally i probably would have specified that, but i suppose you can figure it out by reading the 'strengths'. she's cute though

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Mike Jimenez
    Assistant Striking / Kicking Coach
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Age: 18 Weight: 165 Height: 5'11" Record: 2-1 Strengths: Kicking and striking
    this kid was on the front page as the first fioghter out of xtreme couture ny, but it was not an MMA fight, it was an american kickboxing match. you can see his video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsoKgSeu_Pw

http://www.xtremecoutureny.com/News.html

Xtreme Couture NY Trainer: Mike Calamusa
    Strength & Conditioning / Kicking Coach
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Age: 28 Weight: 190 Height: 5'8" Record: n/a Strengths: Black belt in taekwondo, strength & conditioning
    TKD BB/ Kicking instructor??? does he have his own class for that?

I don't even want to get into the crazy ranks.... i honestly don't understand them at all. I mean if you go the the real Xtremecouture page you'll find that many of the inexperienced instructors here outrank famous and accomplished MMA fights such as Tyson Griffin, and Jay Heiron... I guess it's just for the school, and not meant to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Paige8; 4/13/2008 10:08am at .
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast