Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2009 2:19am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ View Post
    I generally consider this a bad idea. I tried it for a while and it gave me little benefit. I've also heard it's bad for your tendons and joints. The effects for me were more than just the same stuff as without but with more weight. The timing and technique of my kicks changed. That's why I dropped this.
    Its only bad if you overload them. The problem is that unlike muscles, tendons and joints when injured usually mean sharp jarring pain unlike muscle injury which manifests as an ache or soreness with various intensity.

I've trained kicking with weights on legs for some time by progressive loading.
    It is great.
    I used to be called iron knees in my old JMA dojo. (To illustrate the benefits of weight trained/conditioned tendon/joints)

Incidentially, the OP's training method is exactly how swimming instructors teach their wards how to kick (swimming).
    Last edited by Whathappened; 12/31/2009 2:23am at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    perhaps this could be an article?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234