Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 11:05am

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My teacher usually goes over there and gets a "Student Apartment" for $60 for 2-3 weeks. He's said "Everything is so cheap except the plane ticket."

('._.)

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 8:17pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The price of your trip all depends on your personality.

If you´re the relaxed type that just plans to stay there training and eating rice it will cost you next to nothing to live there...if your some big party animal that plans on getting drunk every night and pick up girls it will cost you 20 times more.

Thing is, a lot of guys go in there with the mentality of training hard but when they see how it is out there...something takes over and they end up spending all their nights there taking Sang Som shots with ladyboys and dodgy looking sex tourists in beer bars.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2009 9:24pm

Style: krav maga, bjj, mma,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to necro an old thread but i have a question for people who have traininged in thailand. What gyms have you guys been to and what do you think of them. So far ive contacted fairtex and somewhere called tiger muay thai. I want somewhere cheap but still a high quality of training if thats at all possible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 1:05am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im suprised nobody said anything about the water, after my trainer gave me a cup of water, i ended up having to stick a cork in my ass for the 3 hour drive back to bangkok only to **** and throw up all over the hotel bathroom.

I've only trained at fairtex pattaya, Thai uncle said neighborhood was sketchy, but pattaya is afterall a tourist beach.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 2:29am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bring some antibiotics if you plan on drinking the water, haha, azithromycene works pretty well.

So, I went for a study abroad trip, and only trained for half a day at a teeny tiny gym in this teeny tiny town called Kuraburi, just across from Koh Ra island. I'd like to go back and train, so thanks for all the info, TMT definitely looks promising.

I'd like to train at Por Pramuk, being the gym for K-1 champ Buakaw, but their prices are really expensive and I've heard they're looked down upon in Thailand. I didn't see their listing on muaythailand, so I was wondering if anyone had any firsthand experience (or secondhand, even) with Por Pramuk gym?

Also, has anyone heard of Muay Thai Chaiya? It's this sort of esoteric style I keep hearing about. It was on Human Weapon and Antonio Graceffo keeps talking about it like it's the best thing ever, anyone try it out?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 10:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bagua / Xingyi / JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai Chaiya - I know a few people that have trained at this place:

http://www.mymuaythaichaiya.com/2008...hang-thai.html

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what'd they think of it? useful?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 10:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bagua / Xingyi / JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes they rated it. The top guys there are tough to spar against.

Featherweight

153-155 Limestone Cres, North York, ON, CA

Posted On:
    9/16/2009 8:30am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey everyone,

I am relatively new to this forum but I thought I would share my thoughts on being in Thailand.

I lived there for 6+ months a while back and I must say I loved it. Well the first 1-2 months I hated it and got very sick, bronchitis and was hospitalized but after that I was all good. It was the strong A/C in contrast to the hot temperature that kept making me sick. I stopped using A/C at all after that.

I first stayed in Bangkok for a week and did not like it. I stayed in Silom and found a decent hotel for quite cheap. Stay away from Khow San. Then I moved to Koh Samui. I took the overnight train and ferry instead of flying. I trained at WMC Camp, here the training is slightly less intense than other gyms up North but I loved it. Lots of great Thai and International Champs and a few legends training people there. Here I ate at restaurants and everything was pretty expensive. By expensive I mean by Thai standards not foreign.

After 2 months I moved up North to Chiang Mai. I grew tired of seeing Thais cater to farang's down south and tired of living among Americans and Aussie's. I decided that I wanted to be immersed in Thai culture. I lived in a small town called SanKamPhaeng about 40 minutes from Chiang Mai. Here I had my own apartment for I think $1000 baht per month. I didn't eat at restaurants much anymore I ate at the markets with the Thai's. This was much cheaper.

I bowed to everyone. I said Sawadeekha to everyone and no one really made fun of me. I could speak basic Thai and most of the people seemed grateful that a farang was genuinely trying to learn the Thai culture rather than pay for comforts.

I trained at Siam Number One school and because I am a small female most of the guys were my weight. No great champions or legends here but I liked here best because they took the time to teach me. I became a part of the family. The training doubled that of the south with 3-4 hours in the morning and another 4 hours at night. They ran nearly 20k a day.

Anyways, my recommendation is that: If you can handle it, live like a Thai, immerse yourselves with the Thai's. If you are going to experience Thailand then don't stay in places where there are ass loads of people you typically see at home.

I got a great balance of meeting other cool foreigners for 2 months and then living in a tiny Thai town learning everything I could. I fought twice up north and twice down south and the balance was perfect.

Again, this was just my experience. I have heard lots of good things about the gyms in Thailand and the genera rule is that you will pay for training and they will make you sweat. Most gyms didn't teach much skill but they held pads and made people lose weight. Try out gyms and see how they train. Everyone's experience will differ so don't take anyone's word as gold.

My experience on the whole was incredible. There is some racism but most of it was harmless. They would want to touch my hair, they called me chubby (even though i was not), minor things like that. Most of the time they will make fun of you, you wont be able to understand anyways.

I hope you all have a great time and enjoy everything Thailand has to offer.

('._.)

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 8:24am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thai guys go absolutely crazy over white girls. Did you get harassed a lot out there?
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast