Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 1:46am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the info, I'm gonna save a bit, if all goes well I could be there this time next year (right when school is out).

Featherweight

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/03/2009 8:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD + MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
    That is true... I dont like the sex tourists either. There is nothing more disgusting than seeing a 50 year old white man walking down the street with a 20 year old Thai girl. I dont know what the guy is thinking either. Does he not care that everyone looks at him and thinks he is a fuckhead? Or does he think people think he is cool coz he can pick up? Like she would be with him if he never had a wallet full of cash... Disgusting.

I drive a 50 minute drive on a motorbike through Bangkok everyday to get to my gym. There are so many traffic police in Thailand it is not funny, I get stopped nearly every day to check my licence. There are not many white guys on motor bikes n Thailand, the police are always surprised. Sometimes they do a search for drugs, when they look in my daypack full of Muay Thai clothes and boxing gloves it always sparks conversation. Even when I have done something illegal, like driving on a overpass where only cars are allowed, they get so happy talking about Muay Thai with me they just forget about the fine and send me on my way. It is good, the Thai people love Muay Thai, and foreigners who want to learn Muay Thai are always very popular. It is good.
    well if it's ok for a thai girl to get a "temporary job" as a prostitute, but then somehow it's NOT ok for some tourists to **** them? no way Mr Thaiman, this game works both ways, the biggest clientele in the thai sex market are thai guys. but yeah anyway 50 yo guys with 20 yo tiny thai chicks are retarded

Featherweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    3/03/2009 8:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD + MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    Any part of the feet, actually. to Thais the lower part of your body is considered unsacred. Everything below the waist.
    If you put your feet up high towards a Thai person he will take it as an insult.

XD they probably thought you were his boyfriend.

Oh and in my experience, most Thais think its kinda lame for farangs to wai. Seeing as it is a Buddhist tradition. Dont go around wai-ing everyone from a beggar to a girl strip dancing in a Go Go bar like a lot of backpackers do because they read about it in The Lonely Planet, you will be laughed at. Maybe not in your face, but once you turn your back.
    yes there are times when and to whom you wai, do it incorrectly or at the wrong time/person, thais will laugh at you and won't take you seriously (all this done behind the back of course)

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 3:24pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Might be a good idea to keep some 5-baht coins in your pocket for (some of) the beggars, at your discretion.

I always regretted that I didn't do more for this little fellow, around 9, that was begging people for money. I gave him a handful of coins and walked away. Next thing I knew he was tucking on my t-shirt and wai'ing me. That was a surprise, I thought, so we got to talking and I discovered he's not Thai, but a refugee from Mae Hong Sorn. I fed him dinner from the market, and bought some to-go stuff and met his mom and little brothers. I asked him to meet me at the same place the next day, since I have an attorney friend (high-school buddy) and could have done more to help with his situation. Alas, he did not show up the next day and I kept wondering how it could have turned out ...

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 9:13pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by anza View Post
    Might be a good idea to keep some 5-baht coins in your pocket for (some of) the beggars, at your discretion.

I always regretted that I didn't do more for this little fellow, around 9, that was begging people for money. I gave him a handful of coins and walked away. Next thing I knew he was tucking on my t-shirt and wai'ing me. That was a surprise, I thought, so we got to talking and I discovered he's not Thai, but a refugee from Mae Hong Sorn. I fed him dinner from the market, and bought some to-go stuff and met his mom and little brothers. I asked him to meet me at the same place the next day, since I have an attorney friend (high-school buddy) and could have done more to help with his situation. Alas, he did not show up the next day and I kept wondering how it could have turned out ...
    Mae Hong Sorn is a province in Northern Thailand that borders Burma, so more likely he was a refugee from Burma (either ethnic Burmese or hill tribe) who entered Thailand through Mae Hong Sorn. Maybe he said Mae Sai, which is the border crossing there. Out of curiosity, what language did you have in common with him that you were able to use to hold a conversation like that with him?

The situation with the child beggars in Thailand is truly tragic. Many of them are run by gangs who force them to beg, and then take the earnings from the children. There is an article at humantrafficking.org which suggests that it might not be beneficial in the long term to encourage child begging by giving them money. Of course, it's a complex situation and there are arguments on both sides.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 1:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're quite right, I should have clarified that he was a Burmese refugee THROUGH Mae Hong Sorn :-)

He spoke a little Thai, just enough for me to be able to fill in the blanks. I was born and lived in Thailand until I was 15. I still go back there every now and then, but now that I have two boys of my own it's getting to be more difficult to juggle the schedule to be able to go back.

I do agree that it might not be beneficial in the long-term, but something needs to be done in the short-term while the PTB's figure out the long-term plan.

Another thing you farangs :-) can do when you go to train in Thailand: sponsor lunch for kids in orphanages. Many orphanages in Bangkok make it very easy for you to pick up the tab (or portion of it) for the cost of a day's lunch to feed the children in its facilities. This way you know you're directly helping the kids and not encouraging any undesirable activity.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can also help fund organizations that are working for structural change in Burma. www.need-burma.org is a fantastic organization that is doing just that.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 4:45pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Another thing you farangs :-) can do when you go to train in Thailand: sponsor lunch for kids in orphanages. Many orphanages in Bangkok make it very easy for you to pick up the tab (or portion of it) for the cost of a day's lunch to feed the children in its facilities. This way you know you're directly helping the kids and not encouraging any undesirable activity.
    That's a great idea and I'll look into it next time I'm in Thailand.

This seems like a good opportunity to steer this thread back on topic a bit (well, slightly anyway). Can you recommend any orphanages that have sponsorship programs near where you train? I usually train in Bang Plee (Samut Prakarn Province) and Pattaya. I have heard of Father Ray's orphanage in Pattaya, but don't know anything about it, other than what is on their web site. It looks like they have a sponsorship program like you mentioned. Know anything about them?

ขอบคุณครับคุณอันซ่า

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 5:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am afraid I only know about Father Ray's Foundation through the one documentary program I watched a long time ago. I googled them again and found that the Foundation was ordered to leave the orphanage in 2008, so whatever happened must have gotten the children caught in the middle.

I have only been to orphanages in Bangkok, and the one I recommend is Phayathai Babies' Home Foundation. Most cabbies know it as บ้านเด็กอ่อนพญาไท and when you go there, bring some toys for the kids (and diapers, etc).

You're welcome.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 1:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... only give money to the lepars who are missing limbs, or people who are clearly retarded in some way.

Women with young children are often working. It seems appealing to help a woman feed her child... she'll pull in about 3,000 THB a day; most goes to a pimp who had trouble finding her someone to ****... Thailand is fucked.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast