Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2008 10:20am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elbines
    hey draven I have a question for you. If I ever decide to go to a thai training camp, would I be subjected to blatant prejudice just because I am black? and also, why do thais hate black people in the first place?
    At the training camp? I would expect not. Out and about in town? Yeah, I'd expect you'd be treated less well than your white buddies. The Thai's are quick to judge on appearances.

Heck, I'm Thai and I distinctly remember being treated like a rent boy because I went around with my buddy who happens to be white and a little bit older. The wait staff would ask my friend first, then almost as an afterthough would ask ME what I'd like to order.

Why do Thai's hate black people? Not all of them do, of course. But, the ones that does probably does it out of preference for "whiter" skin tone. Yes, it's weird. Come on, you folks live right smack dab on the equator. You have three seasons: hot, hotter, damn hot. How white can your skin get? Sheesh ... yet these people go around wearing long sleeves to protect their skin. Prefers to stay indoor, etc. I've run into countless friends who refuse to go to the beach for fear of getting tanned.

There you have it.

Random things to do to reduce "farang-ness":
    1. Take off your shoes before you enter any building in a temple.
    2. Don't point your foot towards people (e.g., when you sit).
    3. A "wai" goes a long way.
    4. Females shouldn't touch monks.
    5. Thais generally don't like having their heads touched.
    6. Tips are always welcome. 20 bahts go a long way.
    7. Considering gifts for Thai friends? Try Marlboro or hard liquor .. Hennessy, Johnnie Walker, etc ..
    Last edited by anza; 4/14/2008 10:35am at .

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/14/2008 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2. Don't point your foot towards people (e.g., when you sit).

He means the bottom of your feet
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/14/2008 3:13pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any part of the feet, actually. to Thais the lower part of your body is considered unsacred. Everything below the waist.
    If you put your feet up high towards a Thai person he will take it as an insult.

Heck, I'm Thai and I distinctly remember being treated like a rent boy because I went around with my buddy who happens to be white and a little bit older
    XD they probably thought you were his boyfriend.

Oh and in my experience, most Thais think its kinda lame for farangs to wai. Seeing as it is a Buddhist tradition. Dont go around wai-ing everyone from a beggar to a girl strip dancing in a Go Go bar like a lot of backpackers do because they read about it in The Lonely Planet, you will be laughed at. Maybe not in your face, but once you turn your back.
    Last edited by Draven; 4/14/2008 3:16pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2008 3:55pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    Oh and in my experience, most Thais think its kinda lame for farangs to wai. Seeing as it is a Buddhist tradition. Dont go around wai-ing everyone from a beggar to a girl strip dancing in a Go Go bar like a lot of backpackers do because they read about it in The Lonely Planet, you will be laughed at. Maybe not in your face, but once you turn your back.
    Is it a greeting?

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/14/2008 4:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/14/2008 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elbines
    hey draven I have a question for you. If I ever decide to go to a thai training camp, would I be subjected to blatant prejudice just because I am black? and also, why do thais hate black people in the first place?
    There were two black guys at the gym I trained in for 3 months and they were treated no different to others in there.

You will likely encounter racism in Thailand, but that should not stop you from going there. Ive met black tourists there that had the time of their life.

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 10:39pm

Style: Muay Thai. Ansatsuken.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I train in Thailand. Lived here for 5 months now, been training full time that whole time. This is my gym: www.muaythai-institute.net

Here is pic of me after completeing one of the courses:

Here is my input to the thread then:

My Gym: The gym is good. They can organize pro and ametuer fights and have agreed to help promote me in launching a pro career. The stadium at the gym is fairly small, but when your fighting career is small you cant expect much more, so is right on par, I figured. However, they did manage to organize a fight at their stadium with one of their local fighters they promote against a heavy weight Muay Thai champion from Russia. So yeah, they have international connections and can put together some pretty good shows.

The training is fairly good at this gym. The trainers are all ex pro. One is a major champ and has so many trophies it is not funny! He also suffers a bit of memory loss, so if you dont like first time introductions, this might not be the place for you! LOL, however, this only proves you know the guys you are learning from have tested and refined their skills in real combat, so is good.

The best part about this gym is the amount of international students come to it. The teachers teach you good, but the foreign students are an excellent source of external information. Guys from all disciplines come here, and the amount of Tae Kwon Do and Karate and Kick Boxing kicks I have learned now almost equals my Muay Thai skills! And they also give you lots of different perspectives on Muay Thai itself, and can help teach you new things. This is why it is best training at an international gym rather than an isolated one, I think.

Thailand: Thailand is fairly cheap. The general cost of things is about half the price of Australia, I find, in some cases only a quarter of the price. Such as bread and milk, so cheap. McDonalds, half the cost. Most guys I talk to who live a reserved lifestyle think 500 Baht per day is enough for daily needs, and 500 Baht extra if you have to reant a room. So 1000 Baht a day is standard. A money baron can do cheaper, but generally, this is what an average person should expect.

If you train long term, like me, get an apartment. They are ultra cheap here. About 5,000 Baht a month, that includes power and water. But this might be harder if you dont speak Thai. I dont, but have a Thai wife (pregnant), so she does this for me. But it is possible to find an apartment. I seen single white guys who no speak Thai get apartments by themself, so ask around when you get here if you are long term.

Visa: Visa is your worst enemy. I can get 3 month marriage visas coz I got a Thai wife. If you wanne get a Thai wife it is not hard here (in saying that, I do love my wife and she loves me, but it is true, it is pretty easy to pick up if you got money...). I have to go accross the border to Laos for 3 days at the end of 3 months to get another visa. You will have to do the same, go to either Laos or Cambodia and get a 2 month tourist visa. It is pretty cheap to do, however. And not hard or a real problem. I advise you attempt to get a 3 month visa before you come here. You can not get them in SE Asian countries, but you can in western countries. Non- Immigrant tourist visas. I got one in Australia, anyway. It is a good visa to give you time to sink your feet into the sand.

Nightlife: The original poster forgot to mention, yes, you will be surrounded by girls (most who want you to pay for their company), and also by guyz! Thailand is a country where it is okay to be gay. Ladyboys are everywhere, and if you are gay it is okay to admit it. So if you are homophobic or gay bashin, dont come here, you will get a poor reception from the entire community for any anti gay comments. Ladyboys are everywhere, and some are pretty hot, so look at the hips of the girl you dancin with. If they lack curve, it probably aint a girl... Be carful hey. LOL, but they are fun people. All Thailand is fun people. If you are a hot white guy, you will see what I mean, guys will say "very handsome" "Very Beautiful" to you almost everytime you go out. I even had a cop give me a nipple cripple and grin at me at a Songkran party, which I thought was a little strange....

Taxi: This begins at the airport. When you get there, walk through the horde of Taxi drivers holding signs and trying to get you to go with them. This takes will power, ignore everyone, dont look at them, dont talk to them, they are trying to steal from you. I mean it. At the airport, once through customs with your luggage, go to the second floor, go outside, and as you walk out the door outside turn left, go right down the end and you will see a small counter OUTSIDE NOT INSIDE. The counter has a line of honest Taxi drivers at it waiting to take people by metered taxi. Tell the counter where you want to go and they will give you a ticket. This cost what the meter says to get where you go, and also 50 Baht service charge, they arnt rippin you when they ask for the extra 50 Baht. A tip of 5 or 10 baht is Thai custom, and you will seem rude if you expect change from a taxi of less than 10 baht.

In the city, esp. Khao Sarn, which is a major tourist district, watch the men with the 3 wheel motorbike looking thing called a Tuk Tuk. They will try and take you places you dont want to go coz they get furl vouchers and money for bringing customers to shops. When you get to a place, if the Tuk Tuk says a single word to the person at the counter then you have just been ripped! Half of what you pay will go to the Tuk Tuk. Do not go to a hotel with a Tuk Tuk. He will only take you to a hotel where he gets payed to take you there. All things are like this with the Tuk Tuk. Learn the name of the Hotel you want to go to then get a meter taxi to take you there, otherwise you will be ripped. Never let the taxi come into the hotel or shop with you, even if he carries your bags, carry them yourself. If he wants to come in and not find more customers, it is because he has not finished earning money...

If anyone has any questions about Thailand training or even needs help, let me know. I am here and always will be, so am an endless source of up to date Muay Thai in Thailand info.

Thanx.

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 10:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    Any part of the feet, actually. to Thais the lower part of your body is considered unsacred. Everything below the waist.
    If you put your feet up high towards a Thai person he will take it as an insult.

XD they probably thought you were his boyfriend.

This is all true. The easiest way to piss off my Thai wife is to put your feet in 3 places, 1, near Buddha statue, 2, near a pic of the King, 3, near her head. It makes her so angry, LOL. Dont point at anything with your feet, either, even if your hands are full. This might happen when you walk out of a shopping center with bags in both hands, and there is something you like on the street, where a person has laid goods out on the ground on a blanket. You might say "how much" and point with your feet. This is not a biggy, but will generally signify you think what you are pointing at is rubbish... You get the idea.

And yeah, if you are SE Asian yourself, then the wai is okay, even expected. But blacks, arabs, wogs, indians and esp. whites, do not bother with the wai. When someone does it to you, make an effort to be very polite, but only return the gesture as a mirror does if you are Asian, same like the person was looking in a real mirror, you understand? When people do it to me I nod my head and wave my hand and say hello. That is politeness on a western scale, so that is what you should do. Only idiot white people do the wai, I always laugh. It just aint right, it aint your culture. Just be extra polite when they do it, that is all.

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 11:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tharuz
    Is it true that you need to bring a mouthguard from home before going to thailand?

and what will they treat you like if you look hispanic/middle eastern?
    Hmn, the people are not racist, but the muslims in the south blow themselves up almost everyday... The Thai people hate them. So if you share the culture of your appearance, you might not want to pray too loudly in the morning...

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    In my experiences, I found that the locals tolerate the sex tourists but have no respect for them. When they found out we were there for Boxing and nothing else, they loved us. The hotel staff would jump on us shouting Muay Thai! and have little play fights as we were walking through the lobby, the shop owners throw playful punches etc.
    That is true... I dont like the sex tourists either. There is nothing more disgusting than seeing a 50 year old white man walking down the street with a 20 year old Thai girl. I dont know what the guy is thinking either. Does he not care that everyone looks at him and thinks he is a fuckhead? Or does he think people think he is cool coz he can pick up? Like she would be with him if he never had a wallet full of cash... Disgusting.

I drive a 50 minute drive on a motorbike through Bangkok everyday to get to my gym. There are so many traffic police in Thailand it is not funny, I get stopped nearly every day to check my licence. There are not many white guys on motor bikes n Thailand, the police are always surprised. Sometimes they do a search for drugs, when they look in my daypack full of Muay Thai clothes and boxing gloves it always sparks conversation. Even when I have done something illegal, like driving on a overpass where only cars are allowed, they get so happy talking about Muay Thai with me they just forget about the fine and send me on my way. It is good, the Thai people love Muay Thai, and foreigners who want to learn Muay Thai are always very popular. It is good.
    Last edited by Tenchu; 4/17/2008 11:33pm at .
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast