Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 8:05pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RABA
    I'm not trying to legitimize TKD as a fighting art, it is a fighting art.. It's not necessary a MMA method of training. However, I would be bet my money on a RM over you or any person on this forum in a combat, street, or cage fight.
    I will see you're bet,and raise you five pesos.
    :laughing9

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 11:36pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't...because you have over 10,000 BS post....lol The biggest BS are people that post like you.
    LOL...

Here's a quote from one of my first posts on Bullshido, in response to the same argument you're making.

People are continually pointing out the ROK Marines as having t3h r34l TKD. Are they ROK Marines TKD badasses? Yup. But I would say that's less a fact of their TKD training as them being MOTHERFUCKING MARINES in a country that is still technically in a state of war.

This SWAT team is just another example. Would I want to **** with one of them? Not likely. My uncle over here is a SWAT team commander and I sure as hell wouldn't **** with him. He has no formal training, but he's definitely a badass.
    Your analogy of ROK Marines validating TKD has no logical weight. If you are not training in the exact same manner as a ROK Marine, the fact that you're both doing TKD doesn't matter. Do you really think that a ROK Marine trains in the same fashion as a 10 year old in a US strip mall?

If you do...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 11:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, KB, CMA, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    Your analogy of ROK Marines validating TKD has no logical weight. If you are not training in the exact same manner as a ROK Marine, the fact that you're both doing TKD doesn't matter. Do you really think that a ROK Marine trains in the same fashion as a 10 year old in a US strip mall?
    That's what I'm saying. How you train is more important that what style you train in. The poster assumes that because Cung Le has trained in TKD, and he trained in TKD, he can become a world class competitor based on TKD. That's doesn't make sense to any of us.

On the hand, that doesn't mean that because someone trains in TKD, that they can't be rock hard or combat ready. Martial training isn't about kicking, punching, or grappling. It's about timing, distance, leverage and momentum. And someone practising the right training methods can be effective regardless of the named style.

I don't think that 10 year old in a US strip mall is training to be hardcore.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 11:26am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Attributes are important, but if your training regimine (including techniques such as kicking, punching, & grappling) sucks, then you are going to suck.

I can be the meanest ************, insanely strong & agile, but if all I train is flying kicks & flying armbars, I am going to get owned by lesser people with more pragmatic training.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 11:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I'm saying. How you train is more important that what style you train in. The poster assumes that because Cung Le has trained in TKD, and he trained in TKD, he can become a world class competitor based on TKD. That's doesn't make sense to any of us.

On the hand, that doesn't mean that because someone trains in TKD, that they can't be rock hard or combat ready. Martial training isn't about kicking, punching, or grappling. It's about timing, distance, leverage and momentum. And someone practising the right training methods can be effective regardless of the named style.

I don't think that 10 year old in a US strip mall is training to be hardcore.
    Wow, guys. Just wow. I emailed omega and I'm going back to lurking on this site. I was just asking an opinion. Never came to any conclusions. Never said I was super tough. I just asked if anybody's opinion changed. I tried clarifying it but it just fell on deaf eyes. Peace. I really do not want to even try to just talk about this anymore.

BTW I asked Sifu David what the name of his Tai Chi teacher was and it was Lee Wah Yook. I hope I spelled that correctly.

Peace.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 12:52pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't stress it gu1, most of the site is pretty anti-TKD due to the tons of craptastic TKD out there. Let's just say if the style reads TKD, we're starting with two strikes from many people's eyes. (A lot of that comes from people with blinders going 'TKD is amazing and deadly!' also though).

I appreciated the thread, most of the discussion wasn't horrible, just some of the usual horse beating. But, it's nice to get other people's feedback who are doing MMA and have a TKD background.

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 2:35pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grandultimate,

Happy lurking out there. When I accidently mixed the martial arts, (as a Newbie), I would get warned or disqualified for doing something illigal. Ankle locks in Judo, throw in TKD, sort of thing.

When you (as a Noob) got mixed up the prevailing site paradigm war, then you were given a time out for a contrevention I had no idea existed. I think your rebellion was a bit more illuminating and useful.

I am pleased that a TKDer has done well in competition, TDK was getting a bad rap for a while, I might just dust off my dobuk again. Thank you sir.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    4/17/2008 2:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grandultimate1
    I just got done watching Cung Le destroy Frank Shamrock and wonder if this would be enough to establish TKD as a legitimate art to take in MMA?
    I don't think that's a good example to look at, because Shamrock stated before the fight that he'd stand toe to toe and try and outstrike Cung Le. It was basically a kickboxing match.

Not saying anything about TKD, only that this specific fight isn't necessarily representative of the full extent of the rule set, and the complete realm of possibility for any given tool in your arsenal. Granted, a certain percentage of fights DO end up as strikefests, but it can be just as likely for the opposite.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2008 3:49pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtDutch
    Not true, according to the WTF ruleset the back, and the back of the head are legal scoring areas. Striking the spine, and the 2"(approx.) section leading up the back of the skull is illegal.
    I stand corrected. What I said is basically true, but context is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF Competition Rules Article 11
    1. Legal Scoring Areas
    1) Mid-section of the trunk: The part covered by the trunk protector
    2) Face: The whole part of the face including both ears
    2. Points shall be awarded when permitted techniques are delivered accurately and
    powerfully to the legal scoring areas of the body.
    3. The valid points are divided as follows.
    1) One (1) point for attack on trunk protector
    2) Two (2) points for attack on face.
    3) One (1) additional point shall be awarded in the event that the contestant is knocked down and the referee counts.
    4. Match score shall be the sum of points of the three rounds.
    5. Invalidation of points: When a contestant performs an attack to score through the use of the prohibited acts, the points scored shall be annulled.
    So if you attack the trunk protector and the side of the face there is only a couple of inchs of illegal striking area going up the center of the back, and the back of the skull, but being that it is illegal to turn your back to the opponent (retreat) illegal strikes to the back are unlikly anyway.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516