Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 4:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HKD/BJJ/Wrasslin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington
    Whether the OP's Krav sucks or not is outside the perview of the question of McDojoism. Fake Krav would be bullshido. Sometimes bullshido comes cheap. Sometimes McDojos teach very well.
    Regardless, ATA is Most OFten McDojo.. WTF is usually the only School Assoc. that's worth a crap in my experience... but I never did TKD anyway, only HKD.. Krav sucks in general.. Any Krav I've ever seen is just a rip off of good HKD, which, contrary to poopular belief, does actually exist.

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 12:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mind Cuong Nhu. My instructors are great and the people I train with are all good training partners. The Krav at the ATA school is taught by a KMAA instructor but he seems to be fairly good and I bought the complete krav book to compare the techniques. The book and the techniques in class seem to be pretty good. The nearest HKD school appears to be in tampa and I cannot drive 2 hours to work out.

To the previous poster on flexibility if you have any advice I am all ears. I have been following a dynamic streatching routine that has helped get my comfortably to waist level (which for me is a big deal).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 8:56pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're comment about not taking TKD because you are not flexible is hilarious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 9:25pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapsymaxi
    Contract seems ok, but...

How legit is the Krav Maga there? A lot of TKD instructors just go to a 3 day seminar. That seems to be a really hot thing to do right now.

Then you just have some guy who's spent 10 years doing double jump spinning kicks screaming about the necessity to do groin shots, cause,"THAT'S REAL!".

Eh.

Max

OMG!!! 1) contracts are not necessarily a problem 2) don't equate "TKD instructors" to ATA anything!! 3) Real TKD instructors wouldn't bother with something like krav maga - and ATA is NOT TKD and IS a McDojo!!

Posted On:
    4/14/2008 9:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me rephrase; I have seen the TKD classes at the school and I am way not flexible enough to survive. A lot of time (even in the beginner classes) is spent working kicks high and mid high which I have a hard time with (and I spend time practicing kicking a few hours a week to work on flexibility).

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 11:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Cuong Nhu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=cyril;1773302]You seem to have picked two of the worst organizations to study martial arts under.

Firstly, Cuong Nhu isn't all that hot, just repackaged Shotokan Karate (for the most part) with different forms.

You must be basing your opinion on having seen a very small view of Cuong Nhu. You statement makes it clear that you do not know what Cuong Nhu is. Cuong Nhu is NOT repackaged Shotokan by a long shot. I have been training in Cuong Nhu for over 30 years. I am a student of the founder O'Sensei Ngo Dong and his son Grand Master Quynh Ngo. We are diverse in our use of Karate, Boxing, Wing Chun, Judo, Aikido and more. Our applications (Bunkai) are strong.

We do extensive Bunkai, sparring, weapons, throwing, grappling and more beyond the limits of any Shotokan system I have ever seen or worked out with.

I invite you to re-visit Cuong Nhu beyond the limited schools you have observed. Cuong Nhu is a national non profit organization so you will find many schools in Cuong Nhu that need more work. We have some great schools, some good schools and some need work. But some are outright strong. You will find many schools like ours in Raleigh or the World Head Quarters in Jacksonville Florida to be strong, solid martial artist.

I have also seen comments that we do not do contact sparring. This is far from true. While we do practice non-contact sparring the majority of our schools use contact. Head and body shots alike. Contact levels in Cuong Nhu is left up to the individuals sparring. In our school in Raleigh, we do all levels of contact, sweeps, takedowns, etc....

Come to Raleigh and workout with us. We are friendly, professional and ROCK SOLID - Please visit whenever you get the chance.

Robert First
    Co-Head Instructor Raleigh Martial Arts Center

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This is definitely not repackaged Shotokan.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 2:50pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    holy **** how old is this guy!? ^^ hes damn good! oh and deffinately not shotokan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 6:01pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    holy **** how old is this guy!? ^^ hes damn good! oh and deffinately not shotokan.
    Are you being serious? I cant tell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 12:48pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post

This is definitely not repackaged Shotokan.

I concur(though I am not a Shotokan Karateka). I very much resembles a competitve Wushu form. There is nothing hard style I have seen in any of their videos(even the ones they say are hard style).

This is just my opinion, but it has a feel of a guy taking a single form from some books and putting them together to "make" his own style.

Has anyone questioned the instructors or the head of the style to get questions asked? Always a good place to get some answers.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12