Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2008 12:56pm

Style: Mixed Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abusivemelon
    the guy was loudly moaning in pain and the opponent is grinning and trying to touch fists with people as the guy is carried out.
    Good, I'm not the only one who thought that was a bit lame. Dana throwing him props while the bearded guy was still moaning on the floor didn't help much, either.

Posted On:
    4/10/2008 1:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen people knocked out before that make those weird sounds, just air moving over their vocal chords involuntarily. its not typical of a knock out, more so than a KTFO with a concussion. As far as him celebrating, I dont think it was in bad taste. They all know what they signed up for, and the guy didnt die or get his neck broken. I remember my first tap in clas sand i was pretty damn pumped up and it was just open mat. Hell, i still get excited when i pull off a sub,isssion i have never done before. Now combine that, with this guys first knock out, thats a big deal, KNOCK OUT, AND he won his spot on the show. Give him break, they have medical staff to assist all injuries, and he was damn happy. Let him celebrate. Did you see the preview for the next show? His celebration of his first knock out is pretty mild compared to the gayness that happens later.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/10/2008 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango M.F.
    Yeah if it was just about the training, I'd agree 100%. But it's entertainment and the little monkeys have to dance for our amusment, even if it is deterimental to their sanity/training.

Imagine how "boring" twelve weeks of dudes sitting around reading and getting along would be (personally I'd prefer it that way - the producers be forced to show more of the training and technique, but we all know that's not why 99% of people watch the show).
    we could say that it's because most people don't know enough about the technical aspects of MMA to be able to appreciate a show about the training and the fights, but to be really fair we should consider an alternate scenario in a more broadly understood sport, say, football (which i know very little about, but your average TV viewer knows a good deal about, perhaps has played on a high school team or at least some games, knows the rules, etc.)

do you think people would watch a show where a bunch of aspiring pro football players were put into a house and trained together toward the ultimate goal of an NFL contract? how about if the show went into a lot of detail on the training and coaching? or do you think the average football fan would rather see man-drama between the players?

i think there would be a core audience who would enjoy watching the training, but the show would be canceled without man-drama.

it's too bad, but i think in general people only want drama and violence.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    4/10/2008 1:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well the truth is boring. Staff infections, ice packs, small sweaty gyms with broken water fountains.

Posted On:
    4/10/2008 1:43pm

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So are the guys this year more into training and less into whining/getting into brawls outside the ring? I don't have cable out here and don't know where to find it online. Contender Asia has had to fill the void in my life.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123