supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joecos

and this
    Adhesive Provisions in Long Term MA Contracts
    http://www.bullshido.com/articles/ad...contracts.html
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 12:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD, HKD, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    What's the name of the school?

Alright, embarassing. Watch the vid and you'll see why I quit. It actually wasn't that bad when I first joined but got worse over time-

http://www.imac-nyc.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 12:47pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you send the doctor's letters certified mail by any chance? I had a situation where I was charged parking tickets from a university which wasn't my car or a license plate registered to me. I contacted the collection agency and they informed me that the conversation could be recorded, so I turned on my recorder. During the converstation I was told I had no recourse but to pay the tickets and they were going to keep contacting me until I paid it and I had no legal recourse.

I informed them on the recording that they were in violation of the "Fair dept collection practice act" to make sure it was stated on the recording. I forwarded the tape to the Fed. Trace Commision, and sent a certified letter that they were to cease any contact with me unless they were taking legal action. I never heard from them again and they were being investigated by the FTC.

Now as previously stated the contract needs to be reviewed, but in the interim; document everything and record what you can. Send every correspondence by certified mail. Google the previously mentioned collection act and see if it applies.

Finally, and this is nothing against anyone here especially Samuel Browning, but relying soley on legal advice over the internet makes as much sense as relying on medical advice over the internet. You might want to just pony up and get some flesh and blood legal advice.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkschlaf
    Make sure when you sign a contract it is not one you get locked into.
    No idea whether your complaint is valid or not, but just wanted to point out that the entire point of a "contract" is to lock both parties into an agreement.

Assuming an MA contract is done properly, its as legally binding as any other contract as far as I know.

Our resident legal whiz has already weighed in I see, so I'll shut up now :).
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 12:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time to put Lawyer Jihad on them.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Old School DM

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smillard
    Finally, and this is nothing against anyone here especially Samuel Browning, but relying soley on legal advice over the internet makes as much sense as relying on medical advice over the internet. You might want to just pony up and get some flesh and blood legal advice.
    But, I only have one lesson left before I'm ready to remove my own appendix. The internet course I'm taking seems legit...

But of course, complaints like these are generally not about actually solving the problem, they are about complaining about it. The interwebs is great for that.

(Note, I mean generally, not saying that about you dirkshlaf)
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 1:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you send the doctor's letters certified mail by any chance? I had a situation where I was charged parking tickets from a university which wasn't my car or a license plate registered to me. I contacted the collection agency and they informed me that the conversation could be recorded, so I turned on my recorder. During the converstation I was told I had no recourse but to pay the tickets and they were going to keep contacting me until I paid it and I had no legal recourse.

I informed them on the recording that they were in violation of the "Fair dept collection practice act" to make sure it was stated on the recording. I forwarded the tape to the Fed. Trace Commision, and sent a certified letter that they were to cease any contact with me unless they were taking legal action. I never heard from them again and they were being investigated by the FTC.

Now as previously stated the contract needs to be reviewed, but in the interim; document everything and record what you can. Send every correspondence by certified mail. Google the previously mentioned collection act and see if it applies.

3 seperate doctor's letters were sent certified and I called them numerous times yet they kept billing me and when I finally got issued a new credit card number so they couldn't they sent it to collections. I think if this ever went to court they would look really bad and if they want to recover money I'm assuming they have to sue me.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 5:44pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    turn up chewing gum in a dirty gi with bad personal hygiene and make lewd comments at all female trainees

When challenged refuse to spar saying "I am too deadly because I am also studying under a secret ninjer master named Ashida"

Then fart loudly and exclaim "and there's plenty more where that came from!"

I figure you'll get banned pretty quick which will solve the problem

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 6:45pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkschlaf
    3 seperate doctor's letters were sent certified and I called them numerous times yet they kept billing me and when I finally got issued a new credit card number so they couldn't they sent it to collections. I think if this ever went to court they would look really bad and if they want to recover money I'm assuming they have to sue me.

If this is the case, then I don't really think you have any problems. Now the but, I would send another certified letter to the collection agency instructing them not to contact you regarding this matter with a brief explanation regarding the medical letters and the schools failure to adhere to their own policy. I'd also instruct them that if a negative mark against your credit rating is applied you are to receive written reasoning with specific regard to why the medical opt out clause was ignored.

At this point you have both drawn guns and it will be a matter of who blinks first. Now to ensure you go into the fight with a 44 Desert Eagle and not something that says "replica" (sorry, had to throw in a "Snatch" reference) I'd lawyer up, if you go to court it won't be the obnoxious guy in the gi you will need to be worried about, it will be the obnoxious highly paid guy in the suit next to him.

I'd also check with the better business bureau and see if there are any other complaints against this place and see if by some chance (be it slim) that someone else is already exercising legal fu on them. Potential for strength in numbers, if they did this to you, they probably did something similar to others. Again, this is my opinion and should not be taken as gospel.

Finally, good luck hope it works out for you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 9:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this is the case, then I don't really think you have any problems. Now the but, I would send another certified letter to the collection agency instructing them not to contact you regarding this matter with a brief explanation regarding the medical letters and the schools failure to adhere to their own policy. I'd also instruct them that if a negative mark against your credit rating is applied you are to receive written reasoning with specific regard to why the medical opt out clause was ignored.

At this point you have both drawn guns and it will be a matter of who blinks first. Now to ensure you go into the fight with a 44 Desert Eagle and not something that says "replica" (sorry, had to throw in a "Snatch" reference) I'd lawyer up, if you go to court it won't be the obnoxious guy in the gi you will need to be worried about, it will be the obnoxious highly paid guy in the suit next to him.

I'd also check with the better business bureau and see if there are any other complaints against this place and see if by some chance (be it slim) that someone else is already exercising legal fu on them. Potential for strength in numbers, if they did this to you, they probably did something similar to others. Again, this is my opinion and should not be taken as gospel.

Finally, good luck hope it works out for you.

Here is the McDojo billing agency:

http://www.efconline.com/

Say hello for me!:blob8:
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast