Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 10:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD, HKD, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Former school wouldn't let me out of contract, sent it to collections.

Anyone have experience with this?

I got sick of the McDojo I was attending and they continued to bill me for months after I stopped going. Once I realized it was a condition of the contract that I can only quit over an injury or move I had my doctor write 3 letters and sent them certifed to the billing company. I did actually have an injury but it was mostly due to their bullshit techniques and what I have since learned is incorrect teaching of techniques and since they continued to charge me when I was no longer attending I think all is fair. Fucking scumbags.

I know you can get injured doing MA. the point is no one has the right to charge someone for NOT ATTENDING A GODDAMN SCHOOL THEY NO LONGER WANT TO ATTEND!

I eventually had to get a new credit card since they repeatedly billed me after I told them they no longer had permission to and told them to stop. I sent certified letters from the doctor three times and they just ignored it and sent it to collections.

I have fantasies of just going there and beating the **** out of someone since I'm more than capable of destroying everyone at the school except for 2 or three guys. Or going there and completing the "contract " and testing some Krav Maga techniques during their lame ass sparring sessions.

Yes, I admit (cue AA confession speech) I was taken in by a McDojo. Please forgive me and assist me in not having these assholes ruin my credit. I would be glad to post a link to the school so people can avoid it. Is that allowed?

Also. please relate any advice you have on getting out of these bullshit, unethical contracts.

Make sure when you sign a contract it is not one you get locked into.

Thanks for listening.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 10:40am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a similar experience and sadly they do have every right to bill you. Every right to send you to collections, and depending on the amount every right to hunt you find you and bill you the full value of the contract plus applicable late fees.

Samuel Browning can chip in here if he wants..... hint hint.

A contract, as I understand it, is legally binding. So if you sign a contract to pay however many dollars a month for however long then your legally obligated to do so. If the contract has a provision for injury and the billing company doesn't stop the billing your best bet is probably to take the school itself to small claims court.

Or...... don't sign adhesive contracts. That works too.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 10:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Make sure when you sign a contract it is not one you get locked into."

Read this to yourself a couple of times.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 10:47am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 10:50am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a copy of this contract you can reprint here? Please include its entire text. And yes they can continue to bill you after you leave the school if you do not show up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 11:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    I had a similar experience and sadly they do have every right to bill you. Every right to send you to collections, and depending on the amount every right to hunt you find you and bill you the full value of the contract plus applicable late fees.

Samuel Browning can chip in here if he wants..... hint hint.

A contract, as I understand it, is legally binding. So if you sign a contract to pay however many dollars a month for however long then your legally obligated to do so. If the contract has a provision for injury and the billing company doesn't stop the billing your best bet is probably to take the school itself to small claims court.

Or...... don't sign adhesive contracts. That works too.
    The thing is there is a provision for injury and I sent them three letters from a doctor which they have ignored. It's not like I blew off the contract with no explanation. If they sue me I will countersue them for damaging my credit and harassment. Anyone else chime in with advice, please.

BTW the company is "Educational Funding Center" in Chevy Chase Maryland. May a tornado hit it or tanker truck explode in front of it. (Not a threat, just a wish!):BangHead:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 11:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    Do you have a copy of this contract you can reprint here? Please include its entire text. And yes they can continue to bill you after you leave the school if you do not show up.
    According to them you have to have to have an injury or move away. It is true I had injured wrists due to their improper teaching of techniques and I had a doctor write 3 letters. (I am doing other MA now and have no more problem with my wrists). I don't know what court has jurisdiction and my credit card refunded me so I am not trying to recover funds just to get them to leave me alone.

I don't have the contract unfortunately.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 11:08am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkschlaf
    The thing is there is a provision for injury and I sent them three letters from a doctor which they have ignored. It's not like I blew off the contract with no explanation. If they sue me I will countersue them for damaging my credit and harassment. Anyone else chime in with advice, please.

BTW the company is "Educational Funding Center" in Chevy Chase Maryland. May a tornado hit it or tanker truck explode in front of it. (Not a threat, just a wish!):BangHead:
    As has been offered already

POST THE CONTRACT TEXT

Otherwise we cannot offer you anything of value

Thank you please

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 11:09am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whoops - you beat me to it! request a copy of said contract - they are legally bound to provide therir terms if they are continuing to bill you

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the name of the school?
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast