Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 2:49pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Telum
    I actually pass the seido dojo when I go to krav maga, and from the outside, I dismissed it as a new-age hippie mcdojo.
    Whooooooooooooooa. Not so fast there, chief. Seido was founded by noted Kyokushin badass Tadashi Nakamura.

http://www.seido.com/01_about_seido/kaicho.htm

Having read his book, he definitely places a much heavier emphasis on the "zen" aspects of Karate (meditation, spiritual development, etc.) than KK, Enshin, or Ashihara. But that school in NYC is the world headquarters. I'd say it's definitely worth giving a look.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 2:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, i have heard great things about the seido dojo here in nyc. go check them out.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 2:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, take it from me Zen/=hippy.

While I think Seido Juku might have toned things down a tad from Kyokushin, I know the training is still supposed to be grueling, as it should be.

Don't get put off by the Zen practice. It may just change your life. You may become a better person. You may end up just like me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 3:34pm

Style: Karate, Krav Maga, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenBeakFist
    Whooooooooooooooa. Not so fast there, chief. Seido was founded by noted Kyokushin badass Tadashi Nakamura.
    Oh, I know. Ive done my research, and since then ive found that all out. I was just saying they could really use some help in choosing stuff to go in the windows.

Edit: It could also have very well been one of those places that advertised like a dozen different martial arts on the outside, I dont really remember. I do remember that they had Seido-ryu karate somewhere though.
    Last edited by Telum; 4/09/2008 3:37pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:10pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know about the NYC Enshin dojo personally but the style is great and from the looks of it the NYC Sensei looks like he means buisiness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2008 2:26am

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Telum
    Edit: It could also have very well been one of those places that advertised like a dozen different martial arts on the outside, I dont really remember. I do remember that they had Seido-ryu karate somewhere though.
    There are a lot of styles with "seido" in the name. It is a very common word in martial art style names. I dont think Tadashi Nakamura´s World seido karate (AKA Seido juku), would would use the term seido-ryu. Neither would "seido kaikan" -another kyokushin offshot, founded by Mr. Ishii more known as founder of K-1). Most likely it is something different. Like seido juko kai (aka combat Ki) a well know bullshido style. or Seidoryu Shobukan aikido. or the half a dozen other styles with seido in the name.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12