Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 10:47am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    Yeah, dude, you're full of ****. Juts out like the head of a hammer? What the **** are you talking about? It should theoretically have more power since the force is spread out over a small surface? Under which fucking theory? The tip of your index finger is a smaller surface than your fist, but that doesn't make striking with the tip of your index finger a good fucking idea.

Might I ask what the **** you train in?
    Comparing the finger to the ball of the foot is like comparing a pencil to a railroad spike. Look at the support structure for the finger in comparison to the support structure of the ball of the foot.

What's going to deliver more force per square inch if both are moving at the same speed, a striking surface of 12 square inches, or a striking surface of 6 square inches?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 11:21am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can talk all you want to about force and momentum and such, but when it comes down to it, if you're sparring and **** is being thrown every which way, there's scarecly enough time to be doing **** like that. If you keep throwing kicks like that against people who keep their hands up, you will catch something and injure your foot.
    You are correct in this, in sparring or in actual fight, I would not use the ball of my foot to do a roundhouse. The front kick or a side kick would be good against an attacker trying to rush you. It would keep them back for a space and make them wonder what you will do next. In my experience the less impact on your toes, the better for your feet unless of course you are wearing steel toe shoes then the front kick becomes even more potent

Octopussy!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 11:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    Comparing the finger to the ball of the foot is like comparing a pencil to a railroad spike. Look at the support structure for the finger in comparison to the support structure of the ball of the foot.
    You seem to be invested too much in the theory of beating the **** out of someone and not it's practice. I reccomend you stop whatever larping **** you're doing.

The ball of the foot is full of small bones that are easily broken.

What's going to deliver more force per square inch if both are moving at the same speed, a striking surface of 12 square inches, or a striking surface of 6 square inches?
    If they are moving at a constant speed, they will deliver EXACTLY the same amout of force.
    Because speed has NOTHING to do with force.

You don't spar hard contact very often, do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 11:48am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only time I would ever hit with my shin is if the opponent was moving out of range and I had to make an adjustment on the fly.
    It's just too easy to break your foot on someone's instep.
    This what he wanted an explanation on. I think you meant instep/ ball of foot.

Anyway you are making some good points. The ball of the foot crap is something I've encountered in TMA circles. I used to get the classic " wow you'd have KO'd the guy for sure with the ball of the foot."

Shin is the way to go as everyone has said.

Octopussy!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 11:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    This what he wanted an explanation on. I think you meant instep/ ball of foot.

Anyway you are making some good points. The ball of the foot crap is something I've encountered in TMA circles. I used to get the classic " wow you'd have KO'd the guy for sure with the ball of the foot."

Shin is the way to go as everyone has said.
    ****! Yeah, I fucked up. What I meant was the following:

"The only time I would hit with the instep was if the opponent was moving out of range".
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ?
    You seem to be invested too much in the theory of beating the **** out of someone and not it's practice. I reccomend you stop whatever larping **** you're doing.

The ball of the foot is full of small bones that are easily broken.

If they are moving at a constant speed, they will deliver EXACTLY the same amout of force.
    Because speed has NOTHING to do with force.

You don't spar hard contact very often, do you?
    I'm starting to see why people don't like you. My comment was in regards to your ridiculous analogy of comparing a finger to the ball of the foot. The ball of the foot has a nice, thick, fleshy pad to protect those delicate bones you're so afraid of injuring. The finger doesn't. The foot has a lot more structure supporting it than a finger does. Get it?

Read my first post on this thread. The ball of the foot vs. the shin are both useable, depending on what you're trying to do. Different striking surfaces for different applications. I never said one was better than the other. And yes, I do enough sparring to know not to lock myself into one and not the other.

Octopussy!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 1:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    I'm starting to see why people don't like you. My comment was in regards to your ridiculous analogy of comparing a finger to the ball of the foot. The ball of the foot has a nice, thick, fleshy pad to protect those delicate bones you're so afraid of injuring. The finger doesn't. The foot has a lot more structure supporting it than a finger does. Get it?
    Read my first post on this thread. The ball of the foot vs. the shin are both useable, depending on what you're trying to do. Different striking surfaces for different applications. I never said one was better than the other. And yes, I do enough sparring to know not to lock myself into one and not the other.
    Dude, you're still as full of **** as you were at the start of the thread.

The ball of the foot has a thick, fleshy pad? Are you a fucking hobbit?
    There is nothing on the ball of the foot to stop you from breaking that **** if you attempt a stupid roundhouse kick on someone.

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 1:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, there is one exception to the shin-is-best view (to which, in general, I also subscribe): as a Kyok noob in Ottawa, I had to find something to stand in for my beloved uppercut-to-the-chin when my opponent left his elbows a bit wide, as there were no head-punches allowed and we didn't have daido-juku helmets. Off a couple of set-up hooks or crosses to get the hands up-and-out, an upward ball-of-foot front kick straight up the middle to the chin hit the sweet spot pretty nicely. Given where the hands were, high shin-roundhouses might not have done the job, while the chin isn't really accessible to the shin either. Call it an exception that proves the rule.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 1:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

There is nothing on the ball of the foot to stop you from breaking that **** if you attempt a stupid roundhouse kick on someone.
    Funny, I've yet to break a bone by using the ball of the foot. Haven't even bruised a bone.

Guess I've just been lucky........

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 1:16pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not to mention that it's also easier to sprain your ankle when kicking with the ball of the foot. In reality, a roun house with the ball of the foot is only useful in point sparring or light contact.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast